Grand Hotel de Calvi
Hotel Regina(Calvi)(Great Value!)
US$130
Hotel Cyrnea(Calvi)(Great Value!)
US$84
All reviewsrooftop restauranttop floorair conditioningtrain stationfew minutes walkharbourcitadel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 September 2007

Well, came to Corsica to get away from the terrible British summer. It rained for the first 3 days! The rain washed the town's rubbish into the sea so couldn't swim either in the bay! That apart .............. the hotel was fine overall. staff were very courteous to us from the receptionists to the cleaners. Got to choose a nicer room on arrival as the one on the street front was a bit noisy. try to get one at the back with a balcony. the worse thing of the hotel is undoubtedly the food. the breakfast was ok but consisted only of coffee, concentrated juice, potted jams and bread. not a piece of fresh fruit in sight ......... in the Mediterranean? I wanted more choice for my money. Don't bother eating in the restaurant in the evening unless you are just too tired to dine out. Very poor stodge. And this is France? Or is it? Great location. Liked Calvi with its marina and citadel. Tips for good restaurants in town: 1) Calellu 2) Magnolia 3) Pulcinella brasserie at lunch time run my a nice Italian family and with great views over the marina. prices can be pretty high at seafront restaurants if that's an issue. Car hire is pretty high too but essnetial if you want to se the spectacular scenery. It has to be the most twisty road ever on the west coast down to Porto. Train from Calvi is useful for the north coast beaches and an experience in itself (dilapodated and from another era). I need to revisit Corsica when the sun shines, which I would do as I feel I was a little short changed. It's a nice island and packs a punch with its scenery.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LesBall
Reviewed 22 July 2007

We wanted to go away for a week. I found a cracking deal stopping at Sandridge Hotel on the West Coast of Barbados and was told it was too far to travel for one week. So we went back in time to Calvi.

It has to be said, Corsica is a stunning place. Miles and miles of unspoilt beaches where families can play, the sand and water are clean. Travel inland and there are mountains with stunning views down to the coastline, again unspoilt by over development.

The Grand Hotel has the feel of a old art nouveau hotel - in fact it is! Unfortunately it has not been modernised, which some will hate. For me it just added to the charm. Despite its age, it was always spotlessly clean, with rooms being cleaned daily. Despite its location on the high street in Calvi it is amazingly quiet, even on the front of the hotel where our room was (and this comes from person famed for their insomnia).

The hotel staff are as charming as the building itself and obviously enjoy their work, even down to the nightwatchman.

You must go for breakfast at least once. Although the food is quite plain, they do serve the freshest food I have eaten in a long while. However, best of all is the view. The restaurant is located on the top floor with a huge balcony. The hotel itself is part way up the side of a hill. The views of the bay are spectacular. I wish I had my SLR, the compact camera just didn't do it justice. Take a trip to the harbour. I have been to many, but again this was special. Rich/ famous folk visit here to get away from it all - it isn't expensive, just take a Rough Guide with you. We ate like royalty for a pittance.

I recently visited Sardinia (the Italian sister island) and whilst it was pretty, Corsica wins hands down - it is just breath-taking in its natural beauty. Oh - one word of warning, it is worth having a car to tour the island properly, but be careful the drivers are really scary (they make Italian drivers appear extermely tame)!

Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank Latetourer
Reviewed 4 July 2007

This is generally a good hotel in a good location. The resataurant where you have your breakfast offers stunning panoramic views. It was clean but it may be getting towards time for a refurbishment.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank Adam251
Reviewed 27 May 2007

We stayed at this hotel for four nights as part of a six week tour of Europe. The staff gave us a free upgrade as they winked at us because we were honeymooners. We thought this was lovely and we really appreciated their kindness.

Though the rooms were not modern, they had a certain charm that we hadn't seen anywhere else. I even managed to take a few photos of the original bathroom to remember it by. It might sound crazy but I thought the towel rails were so unusual they deserved a photo :)

I remember wandering around down stairs in what must have been a very grand bar and lounge in its day. The staff were always in a good mood and happy to put up with our terrible French! The view from the breakfast room (after ascending a large sprial staircase) is fantastic, it's on the top floor and there are great views over Calvi.

Calvi is gorgeous and we had such a great time, I only hope I get to visit again. We went out to dinner and I remember enjoying live music and yummy food. It was also great to look at all the amazing yachts that were arriving from Nice and to visit the citadel, the view from up there is gorgeous. There are great views of the dramatic mountains from the beach too.

If you are looking for some old charm and friendly staff, you will find it here, but if you are looking for the latest up to date modern hotel, you may need to consider this might be a bit of old world charm.

Thanks to the staff if you read this - you made our honeymoon extra special!!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sitsa
Reviewed 13 October 2006

The Grand Hotel in Calvi Corsica has graced upper Calvi for many years. It is located close to the historical citadel and about two or three street levels above the yacht harbor which is very interesting and which has plenty of shops, sidewalk cafes and restaurants.

Our air conditioned room was charmingly quaint, sunny, very large and quiet. A little updating to the general facilities would make this venerable hotel a bit more appreciated in today's world, but we found everything to be in good condition, clean and comfortable. The hotel staff spoke English and were quite helpful. A top floor restaurant offers panoramic views. We did not dine or have breakfast there so we cannot comment. All floors are served by elevators or lifts. Non hotel arranged car parking can usually be found nearby.

If you want to be in Calvi's scenic historical citadel and harbor area rather than being in an outlying resort area, the Grand Hotel is a good choice, great value and a bit of a experience of hotel grandeur from another age.

We enjoyed it.