“A nice surprise”

Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in Porto-Vecchio
Geneva, Switzerland
“A nice surprise”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

When you arrive at an industrial estate you don't expect a relais de silence...first surprise ! Enter the square hotel complex and you understand how it becomes silent with all rooms looking onto the complex of gardens and 3 outdoor pools. Better still the staff are extremely good at making you feel like the only hotel guest. I travelled with my wife and young son and all staff were extremely courteous and a special mention for the chambermaids who made the stay memorable by their kindness and efficiency. A good hotel to visit the area and all round excellence. A criticism ? well maybe the buffet breakfast wasn't the best ever but the environment and staff help to make it better.
A few days here are well worth while.

Room Tip: Corner suite was excellent and spacious
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Woolnough R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Slovak first
Oslo
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We spent enjoyable 10 days staying at this hotel. No complaints at all. Very decent breakfast, clean, spacious and cool room with free internet. We only used the outside pool once (it was all right), and never ate dinner at the hotel or used the spa. Parking at the hotel is free and always available, very important if you plan to explore Corsica by car. The hotel is couple of kilometers outside the city centre and there are no beaches within walking distance of the hotel, so if you're without a car it's a wrong hotel to choose.

Corsica itself is breathtakingly beautiful. The beaches are similar to the ones in the north of Sardinia, i.e. stunning.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I would not call this a 4 star hotel, not even close. Whoever awarded the 4 stars need to revisit.
Shortly after our arrival I noticed dirty water splashes on the wall, close to my side of the bed, which was not spotted by the cleaners at all during our week long stay.
I also dropped an earing on the first night, it rolled under the bed and when I retrieved it, it came along with a clump of dust and hair in which it had landed! I put it back under the bed and was happy to see that it was cleaned up the next day.
Worst of all, our room was crawling with ants! They were found all over the place (bathroom, toilet, and even in the bed! We got bitten a few times!).
The double bed was 2 single beds pushed together (something I despise).
Our room had a little garden area, with a table and chairs, but we never went out there, because of the the ants and there were plenty of weeds out there.
They were also very skint with the toilet paper, we ran out one evening.
No facecloths were provided. Also, they supplied the all-in-one shampoo / shower gel jumbo bottle that you find in budget accomodation (another pet peeve of mine)!
Corsica has very hot weather, but there was no complimentary water in the room (it was 37 degrees when we arrived - the tap water is terrible) and there was no coffee making facilities (kettle, tea bags, cups) for those who need a cuppa first thing in the morning.
The room was air conditioned, but the unit was above the front door, which was around the corner from the sleeping area, which meant the cool air took a while to reach you.
And we had the misfortune of having a screaming child above us, of which we could hear the screaming & tantrums loudly & clearly, so not very sound proof either.
I wouldn't stay there again, probably won't recommend it to friends or family either.
Only positives were:
- the towels were changed twice a day
- the bed was very comfortable
- having breakfast & dinner included made the stay relatively good value (the restaurant is excellent)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2012

The hotel is very old, no maintainance has been done for at least 10 years, it looks like a cowhouse outside, inside the hall is dirty, not clean at all!!!!

The order for dinner has to be placed in the afternoon in advance, but it is a 4 star hotel?
The garden also looks like a compost heap, it seems that the last gardener was here one decend ago.

In the room are ants and insects and spider's webs.

In total the hotel is a real rip-off and I was so stupied and booked it!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tom K
France
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I spent only three days here....far too short.

It was beautiful.

The food in the restaurant was great. Duck breast, wonderful. My last night, I only wanted the main dish, but waiting for it, I received a little vichyssoise ... a tiny glass of tomato with a leaf of flat parsley on the top...I could taste he parsley all the way... Then, a tiny dish with two immaculately browned scallops...wonderfully browned .. a small sauce...

Then the great lamb chops.

I did go to the spa one day...and it was really a delight. I was there for 2 1/2 hours...in the sauna..and then for a massage and a facial...back at the room...I fell in the bed for a long two hour nap!

This is a beautiful place! You can swim or sit by the pool, or in a shaded place and do you emails...free WIFI...

I wish I had stayed longer.

The dest speaks wonderful English..and Beregere, is a terrific person...she is there most of the time, just ask for advice or questions....

I wish I had stayed longer.

Lynn Yaney

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Lynn_Yaney
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I visited Corsica with an incentive group we organized for company's top customers.
Porto Vecchio was chosen as the only reasonable cost option- we couldn't affor a 4-star hotel in Calvi, and Roi Theodore offered us a good deal on accomodation and meals. It was our base for the whole stay, since we explored the southern region.

The hotel is very unique in ambiance. So much greenery. My room at the very end of the hotel had a small patio overlooking a lushy garden. Most ground floor rooms do offer some contact with nature. I have seen other rooms upstairs, and they have a window overlooking garden but there is no such a feeling about them. The hotel has a few side rooms (off the main corridor), with nice couches, great plants. The oil paintings are hung all over the corridor. There is a library with fireplace that actually worked every day we were there. They have a nice piano bar (we held business meetings in this room, very private back room) and they have piano evenings you can order in advance. Everywhere you walk you feel embraced in this unique ambiance. The hotel is quiet and you don't want to leave. The swimming pool is small but sufficient. We didn't bathe since water was freezing in October,

We ate serveral times in their restaurant. What they serve is more on the artistic side than a real food. It was all tasty, but the key point was how it was served. People of our group actually took pictures of served plates, it was amazing. The bad part was a long waiting time, but I think this refers to all Corsica- since you are supposed to celebrate meals.

Rooms are nice, in style, the hotel has been renovated. The weak part is the bathroom and toilet, very modest and could be dusted/vacumed more frequently. The staff focused on changing towels all the time, even though there was a sign to drop one in the bathtub if needed change.

Location: the hotel is a good 30-40 minutes walk from the historic part. The walk not very nice, sometimes the road lacks sidewalk, it may gets unpleasant to walk at night, but is ok during a day. Porto Vecchio has very poor taxi system, so we mostly walked. It is very close to a huge Geant supermarket, so shoppingwise- it is ok. There is no much to do in Porto Vecchio, so this hotel was - for us - a destination of it's own.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Walerysia
Belfast
Reviewed 17 September 2010

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights half-board in mid September. Staff were very pleasant but not intrusive. Rooms - basic considering the 4-star rating but spacious and clean. Pool area was well maintained and was visually appealing. The little garden pathways and even the car-park spaces were charming and leafy - so much nicer than the standard concrete exterior areas in hotel grounds.
Throughout the hotel there are little areas where guests can sit and relax- have a drink or chat or read one of the books from the well stocked library.
The restaurant was beautiful - a tiered effect leading from the interior down towards pool level and lit with candles and over-head soft lighting, with co-ordinated flowers on each table. Breakfast was fresh and plentiful - self-service with the staff discretely replenishing. Dinner was delightful - an imaginative and inspiring menu with such attention to detail. The chef must have the patience of a saint to present the meals like works of art (and they tasted as good as they looked).
We had a car so the distance from the centre of town wasn't an issue.
All in all we came away feeling relaxed and spoiled - definitely a worthwhile stay.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Coyle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porto-Vecchio
Hotel Costa Salina
Hotel Marina Corsica
Hotel Marina Corsica
#11 of 42 in Porto-Vecchio
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Ajaccio Bay

Been to Hotel Le Roi Theodore? Share your experiences!