“In the Centre of Town.”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Obernai
Brisbane, Australia
“In the Centre of Town.”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We chose this hotel from the Lonely Planet and that our bags would be transported here at the end of our walking holiday.
The room was basic but quiet and comfortable with crisp sheets and a small bathroom, but it is a 2 star hotel in the centre of town!
It had an air conditioner and a hair dryer was available when I asked for it. We couldn't fault the cleanliness or the friendliness of the staff who spoke good English, a surprise in Alsace..
Breakfast was extra and was enjoyable with fresh bread and pastries, cheese, yoghurt, juice and tea or coffee which was readily replenished.
The railway station is about 300 metres flat walk from the hotel.
I am happy to recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Turku, Finland
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Rooms were clean, staff was very helpful and friendly, hotel location was ideal. Breakfast was a bit poor - but on the other hand coffee was excellent. On the whole - I and my friends got much more what we thought we would get from 2 stars! This I can warmly recommend.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Maria201135
Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed 12 September 2013

In a nutshell, the hotel is clean; it's right in the centre of the town, the sleep quality is good, and the staff are friendly and even speak English quite readily - a rarity in Alsatian towns. All these elements and an affordable price make this hotel a nice place to stay in. There is nothing luxurious, but the atmosphere fits well with the pretty and calm streets of Obernai.

I especially enjoyed the quietness of the hotel, as several other places I have stayed in in Obernai had paper-thin walls.

The hotel room, although not big, had an air conditioner. A nice surprise! However, a hair drier would probably be more useful.

The breakfast was small, but elegant - breadrolls, cheese, croissants, jam served in an individual basket, with orange juice and tea or coffee.

La Cloche would definitely be my hotel of choice for the next stay in Obernai.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Anchorless
Noosa Heads
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

I had booked this hotel several months ago and when we arrived after a long day of travelling we were surprised to find that our street facing room would be front row centre for an evening of loud repetitve music at a "festival" across the square. If I had had been pre warned about this I probably would have booked a different hotel for the night. Unfortunately we weren't and although I understand that tourism needs tourists I would have liked to have been given an advice that this was occur and been given the choice to change if I had chosen to. When we were asked next morning how was everything I said that the music went on a bit longg and was told "that it was the season."

Having said that, the room was okay, beds firm, awful pillows.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KahylaNoosaHeads
Christine D, Directeur général at Hotel De La Cloche, responded to this review, 12 November 2014
Dear Madam, Sir,

Thank you for this comment and also for the opportunity that you are giving us to clarify this situation. First of all, it has been a decade that every Saturday of August, our city is hosting free music festivals. Plus, this information is far from being hidden as you can see it on our website, and on the Tourism Office's website. We do not "warn" people about that, the same way we don't "warn"' our clients about the Christmas Market during the winter season. We consider that these events are notable advantages, and assume that people are (also) coming in Obernai for them.
About the pillows, do not hesitate to ask for others next time, we will be delighted to change them for you.

We are looking forward welcoming you again,

Best regards.

Hotel La Cloche
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

A charming hotel in the town centre with a good atmosphere and a friendly helpful staff. We stayed in a small room at the top of the hotel with a view over the town square that had local dancing in the evening and the market in the morning. The room and the bathroom were clean and well kept and the air conditioning was welcome as the temp outside was almost 30°C. We visited the restaurant in the evening and had a good meal served by an efficient waitress. The only problem was parking because of the market the next day but this was solved thanks to helpful tips by the reception. In the morning we received tips from the owner of how to get to a place nearby.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank clansman44
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2013

After 6 days of hiking in Alsace this was my final hotel. And it was a treat. Great location right in the center of town (and yet somehow quiet - not sure if this was just luck, but I had the room directly over the busy corner and didn't hear much street noise at all). The bathroom was updated and chic. The room was very small, but as long as it had room for my bag that was fine for me. I found the bed and sheets to be amazingly comfortable and the people friendly and helpful. And seriously, location wise it would be hard to beat (unless you had a car). You are about 7 minutes from the train station; 1 minute from the tourist info bureau, and otherwise right at the center as far as I could tell. And there is an amazing chocolate/pastry shop just down the street from the restaurant below. Breakfast was nothing to write home about, if that is of importance to you - just a plate with a croissant, some jams, a plastic or foil wrapped cheese or two, juice and coffee.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank lulusmom
Brisbane
Reviewed 25 May 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night on an organised, self guided walking holiday with La Caminade (Sentiers de France). The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful, making our stay a pleasure. The beds were comfortable, we had free wifi, and the hotel itself is in an absolutely charming old building, very picturesque.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple