“"Fireworks and Food"”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Retford Notts
“"Fireworks and Food"”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I promised myself i would be back to Sarlat this year in time for the Fete Nationale, we could not decide where to book so went in the afternoon and chose a restaurant as soon as we could, you do need to reserve a table on this day, and especially this lovely restaurant, we only just got the last table, outside. The weather was very kind to us, this is quite a small place beautifully finished with stone walls and subtle lighting and decor. The staff were most helpfull, helping with the menu etc. all very professional, felt very special, we met a nice couple next to us, the food was excellent, no complaints whatsoever and they said the same, 10:30 pm off to watch the fireworks. Perfect, will be going back in October. More Happy Days!

• Visited July 2014

Bellevue, Washington
“Wonderful dinner experience!”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our second night in Sarlat, we had dinner here. Reservations a must! Ask for a table outside. We had their fixed menu for the evening. Wonderful choice of foie gras, seafood, and desserts. Nice wine list. Female server spoke very good English. We would definitely recommend and hope to return.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank ccflores
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Superb dinner at a fantastic location”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We we looking for a nice place to eat. We consulted Tripadvisor and this place scored very good so we took a dinertable insde for 6 persons. What a place!. De food was just gourgious and the waitress absolutley wonderful and helpful who luckily spoke English. If you are looking for a decent place to eat in the touristic Sarlat then Les Jardins d'Harmonie is your place. With 40 Euro p.p. we had a unforgettable diner, thanks to a great Chef and nice waitress. The only minor thing was the outdated American country music the played when we were there. My recommendations o the restaurant is to play solid French Chansons

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Leonard1052
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,133 helpful votes
“We were expected to sit at a terrible table …...”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The pre-amble:-

I don't sit at tables beside the loo's…..or next to the kitchen with waiters knocking into us as they enter and exit…..or next to the entrance where people queue and you also get knocked. This restaurant have one really bad table…..for two…..where one chair extends into the single width entrance where you get both knocked and people hoping for a table wait…. virtually on top of you.

Kathleen at our hotel reserved our table…..we arrived on time….hardly any other diners had arrived….and I was shown to this terrible table. I sled if we could sit anywhere else…and was told "No." Kathleen at our hotel had recommended Les Jardins as the best restaurant in Sarlat. Not a good start. And so I explained to this officious lady greeter that I don't go to restaurants…I go to tables (and I've been refusing bad tables for over 35 years….long before a certain, well-known, much missed, late "Sunday Times" restaurant columnist who I admired because he had my exact attitude…..not to put up with rubbish). She said that everyone else who was coming "had chosen where they wanted to sit"! I'm not surprised!

I explained that either we were given a better table or I would dine elsewhere but either way, I would be reviewing this restaurant on Tripadvisor. She instantly gave us a lovely table.

And so to the review:

The amuse bouche…..it "sounded" great…..in the Fois Gras capital of France surely an amuse bouche of fois gras and tomato should be fantastic…..it came in two balls and it was. It sounded good, it looked good but managed the unbelievable achievement of being close to tasteless. Next came a freebie consume (only like-warm…should have been hotter) of duck and foe gras…..it tasted lovely but no better than soups from our local Chinese restaurants in the UK…..tasty enough but nothing special.

We both had fish of the day….perfectly nice. Starter of foe gras was very good indeed with good sauce selection in "smears" on the plate……larger "smears" would have been welcome.

Puddings were lovely….but of course if restaurants in this region of gastronomy can't do good puddings and fois gras….they should pack up and try hairdressing or something different.

So….scrap the bad table or always ensure it is only for walk-up people who haven't booked…especially when so highly recommended by Kathleen who is a receptionist/concierge extraordinaire at the Plaza Madeleine……improve the amuse bouche….heat the consume…and you then have a very good restaurant. Another good tip from our hotel.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank BarryAscot
“Very nice - unusual dishes, beautifully presented”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

The standard of the food in this restaurant is excellent, with immaculate and artistic presentation.
It's probably one of the more expensive restaurants in Sarlat, but definitely still great value for money.
The restaurant has a pleasant interior, but it is quite small, so booking is probably essential, especially in high season.
Would definitely return, and 100% recommended.

Visited June 2014