“Excellent location!”

Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Sarlat-la-Caneda
Australia
“Excellent location!”
Reviewed 11 April 2013 via mobile

We came here for the market on Saturday and this hotel is in a perfect position in the old town from which to launch an attack on all of the goodies available. The hotel itself is lovely but the rooms dated and a bit small. We were on the third floor and there was no wi-fi reception at that level. You have to go down to the second floor for the hotspot, which is annoying. However, the location and the price at this time of the year make up for the inconveniences. I would come back again.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 February 2013

The hotel was quite beautiful and when I was shown my small single/double room I was entranced by the beauty of it. The hotel is very well located for an easy walk into the city centre. I had a half board - breakfast was plentiful and varied and very fresh, but I didn't feel a great sense of welcome in the morning - it was all very sterile and the staff were totally disinterested. Night one: having dinner in the courtyard on my own was quite lovely. I felt comfortable on my own and there was lots of lovely activity around which I absorbed with relish. Night two: same choice from the menu and not able to eat outside due to inclement weather I was ushered to a corner table upstairs - not a pleasant experience. By night three I actually wished I wasn't there! The staff member who greeted me, this time in the cellar, sat me opposite the open door to the bar quite removed from the rest of the dining room - quite honestly, I felt like crying. The staff members were very attentive to the couples dining - I was treated like an outcast.
Comfort: I really loved the little bedroom, it had french doors which opened to a small balcony. Sadly the bed was the most uncomfortable bed I experienced during my trip (over 10 weeks in Europe).

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 December 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at La Couleuvrine and would recommend others to stay at this hotel if visiting the Dordogne region. First, Sarlat is in the middle of all the attractions such as Rocamadour. Second, within Sarlat, La Couleuvrine is on the edge of medieval town, with the rest of the town within walking distance. Dinner at the restaurant was excellent. The staff was really friendly and gave us good tips on sites to see and things to do.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 22 November 2012

We stayed two nights at the La Coulverine, paying E116 per night for a suite large enough for a family of four.

We had a fair experience. The hotel is located right on the edge of the medieval town (the old ramparts) and our room was on the third floor, with two rooms. A very large main room with a double bed and a second, much smaller room with two singles. We found the suite a perfect size for us, but others might find the second room too small.

Our suite was clean and nicely decorated, as was the rest of the hotel. But many parts of the hotel felt a bit dark and dingy. That’s how the building was originally made and no complaints about that but a little extra lighting would have been great. Otherwise, it was quite charming.

The bathroom needs some work. Yes, it has just been renovated but they’ve installed one of those small complete shower cubicles with the rounded doors – and the doors were falling off! I’ve seen that in other hotels on these kinds of shower cubicles too, so I’m guessing it’s a design fault. But worse was the mould above the shower, which really needs to be attended to.

The location was just about perfect – walk out the door and you’re in the old city. So restaurants etc are very easy to find. Just as well, as I was not overly impressed by the breakfast at La Coulverine.

Parking needs to be found on the street and metres topped up regularly. There’s a Laundromat just across the street, which was super convenient.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 November 2012

We chose La Couleuvrine for its location in the old medieval town of Sarlat. We were a group of 20 Aussies, old friends, and we stayed 3 nights. We loved this hotel, it had a great location right on the edge of the Old Town, a quaint old building that we thought was a bit like stepping back a few centuries. The staff were helpful and friendly, the restaurant really excellent, the rooms adequate with interesting antique furniture, good breakfast buffet, laundry just opposite with same day service, parking in the square adjacent. We can't comment on the costs since for us it was part of a 3-week group tour with an all-inclusive price.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Wales
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We booked Dinner, Bed and breakfast here for one night in a superior room. We were in Room 20 - we had to go up in the tiny lift to the 3rd floor and then outside onto a walled balcony (it was a long way down) then up a rustic staircase to our room, which was at the top of the tower of the hotel! The room was brightly painted with large beams and antique furniture. (Have a look at our photos and then compare them with the enhanced ones on the website) Although the room and bathroom were well equipped, the shower unit was very small (we are both quite slim and have no idea how larger people would manage with it). Staff were most helpful and dinner was excellent (even to replacing our bottle of red wine because it was too cold). Breakfast buffet had a decent choice. A couple of things of note - you have to pay for on-street parking and the market in Sarlat (go early, before the tourist groups arrive) is on Saturday with a smaller one on Wednesdays

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Location is great in the medieval city of Sarlat, but the room we got for 65 euros was dingy and dark. Service was impersonal but not rude. our room had a balcony that needed cleaning with patches of garden that had not been tended in a long time. You can get better deals ealsewhere for that money that also include breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple