Hotel La Couleuvrine
Hotel La Villa Romaine(Carsac-Aillac)
US$151
US$144
Hotel Mounea(Marquay)(Great Value!)
US$80
US$76
Plaza Madeleine & Spa(Sarlat-la-Caneda)
US$266
US$187
Official Site
  • Pool
Le Relais du Touron(Carsac-Aillac)
US$111
Relais de Moussidiere(Sarlat-la-Caneda)
US$164
US$158
Le Mas De Castel(Sarlat-la-Caneda)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$94
Hotel Le Clos Roussillon(Vitrac)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$80
La Villa des Consuls(Sarlat-la-Caneda)
US$149
US$140
Clos La Boetie(Sarlat-la-Caneda)
US$320
US$313
La Roche d'Esteil B&B(Sainte Nathalene)
Hotels.com
All reviewsold towncite medievalefree parkingfloor spacehotel is locatedstar hotelfoie grashotel pricesfew stairscomfortable hotelsingle bedfeed the metergreat location rightstone buildinghalf boardfamily roomstreet parking
Reviewed 7 November 2008

I stayed at La Couleuvrine as part of a Rick Steves tour and the location was absolutely perfect. Could walk to anywhere in town from this hotel. And the Saturday market was just steps away from the front door.

The room was clean and comfortable although a bit dark with blue wallcovering. The staff was friendly.

I was on the second floor, but had to walk up to the third floor down a hallway and then down a spiral set of stairs. Not a complaint, just an unusual set-up.

I would stay here again because the location is terrific.

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank LowCountryIslander
Reviewed 3 October 2008

What a place...its a castle. If you can, try and book into room 19 or 20 in the turret. Sartat is the best Medeival town in all of France. We got there on market day (Sat) and we were treated to the best market day we have ever seen. The streets were llined with rows and rows of food, crafts, etc. The hotel is clean, well decorated, reasonable, the breakfast it worth the price and the place is dripping in history. It would have been a shame to have missed this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Going4now
Reviewed 4 May 2008

We stayed here for one night en-route to our main accommodation for our holiday, there was a group of 12 of us - 5 double rooms and 1 twin.

The hotel is in a very old building, very thick walls, odd shaped rooms, lots of stairs (but thankfully a lift!). Most of the group were happy with their rooms, one couple had a small, very dark room but they did pay less than the rest of us. My room was not huge but it was light and had a balcony. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable and the hot water was hot - we were happy with our room.

We also ate in the hotel in the evening, had the 'gourmande' menu. As there was such a large group of us they laid up a special table for us and looked after us very well indeed. The meal was delicious and they had some fabulous wines as well!

Breakfast was good, and there was a good choice.

The hotel is located at the top of town so the walk down the road into the market the following morning was delightful!

I would love to stay at this hotel again, Sarlat is gorgeous and very interesting and the hotel, and staff, were a delight.

I would recommend spending a little extra on the room though, if you don't want a very small room!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank Irisred
Reviewed 5 March 2008

I stayed at the Couleuvrine for one night with a group of friends- we were heading for the Cognac region and decided to stop and visit Sarlat, a truly charming medieval town. They were very gracious to us and let me tell you: a bunch of 16 loud Italians is a bit of a challenge at the best of times.
My room was very small, but it was meant for single ocupancy , so I didn't expect more. You can't improve or change much in a historical building like that, so I guess rooms will never have a standard size. My best friend and her husband got the tower suite, which had amazing views and was huge.
Breakfast was ok: croissants, warm baguette, butter, jam and cafè au lait. I also saw some cereal on the buffet, but nobody touched it: it was an easy 16-0 for the baguette:-)
We had coffee and drinks at the hotel's bar in the evening, which is run by the hotel owner's husband. Prices were fair, drinks were nice. Coffee was horrible for an Italian palate, but I guess it's just because we're spoiled and biased towards the French:-)
All in all, I would recommend staying at La Couleuvrine.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank RoxanneV
Reviewed 5 January 2008

My husband and I stayed two nights in Couleuvrine in September 2005 during our self-guided biking trip in Dordogne. Hotel has a special character including antique canon over huge fireplace in dining room and several royal Louis portraits in hallways. We loved our mansard room in the tower with beamed ceiling and view over the roofs of Sarlat. The room was small but smartly furnished using all irregular corners and it provided plenty of comfort for us. We had a little desk, a chair, a little stand on one side of a bed and a shelf on the other side with lamps bright enough to read, several drawers and hangers for clothes in the TV stand/chest combined and there was still space left to stretch our bodies after biking. Queen bed was comfortable. Bathroom with a full bath was just sparkling and stocked with plenty of aromatic foaming shower gel packages to soak in the tube. During our stay in Couleuvrine we heard no noise at night despite hotel location at the street corner across from police station. May be our room was on the other side or, simply, this is a very quite city.
The hostess of Couleuvrine is an absolutely charming lady. I happened to fall from my bike and she graciously attended my wounds on Sunday when all pharmacies were closed. I most certainly started to fill much better after her kind attention. She fully answered our questions about local transportation, schedules and even made some phone calls for us. The host was courteous but reserved.
Main restaurant serves wonderful food. I had an excellent fois gras sautéed with cherries and my desert was a personal discovery for me. I could never imagine that one would combine strawberries with tomatoes (yes, strawberries with red tomatoes) between layers of light puff pastries to create such a pleasurable sensation of taste. Believe me that desert was heavenly. My husband enjoyed his choice of diner too (forgot what he had). However, the atmosphere in main restaurant is rather formal (I admit they should be proud of what they are cooking) and that is why we enjoyed ourselves much more in a tiny and busy wine bar/restaurant in the basement of the same building. The Saturday night we walked in they had a piano jazz and the whole atmosphere was very festive and cozy. The bar attendant/waiter offered glasses of wine to each of us on a house while we were waiting for him to clean our table; than he took enough time to go over concepts of their menu with us in English. Food was served sizzling on hot skillets. Ymm.... Each course was accompanied by a glass of special wine to match chosen food including appetizer and desert. The chef was periodically going around to see appreciation of all guests and to chat.
Be aware that some rooms in Couleuvrine are accessed by long and sharp stairways (in combination with elevator). That was no problem for us either carrying our luggage or returning from wine bar. Besides, the extra stairs might help to suppress some guilty fillings after all that wonderful food. You might consider skipping room-price-included-breakfast unless you need a push-start to rich for local bakeries, creperies, market stands and sorbet shops temping your way through Sarlat, especially on a market day. Sarlat is a very beautiful town but that would be another story...

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled as a couple