All reviewsold townstreet noisea large public car parkside roadcroissantsfree parkingfoie gras and duckpublic lotwould stay here againhot waterstayed here for three nightscold cutsfirst floorrue de la republiquedouble bedeasy accessdordogne region
Reviewed 6 September 2011

This is a great 2 star hotel. Well run and friendly. Just a very short walk to the old town. The rooms are simple, but air conditioned if you wish to use it. Breakfast was a good French buffet. Plenty for a couple of cyclists.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank traveller_dreamer
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I spent two nights in a double for single use at the Hotel Logis Montaigne in May. The location is outstanding, just a block or so outside the old city and within easy walking distance of Sarlat’s many lovely sites. (One can walk the entire length of the old city in 15 minutes or less, unless you “count” the countless stops you’ll make to admire what you are seeing.)

The couple who runs the Logis Montaigne are outstanding hosts. They were attentive, without being intrusive; happy to share their knowledge of this amazing part of the world if asked; and more than accommodating. As examples, they helped me find a free place to park (instead of the large and convenient, but payment-required, parking lot in front of the hotel) and – according to two young men I met at breakfast one day – they were gracious and patient when checking them in several hours after the reception area closed. (The desk is not open 24/7. If alerted that you will arrive after the desk closes, they will arrange for you to gain access to the hotel and your room – I know, because I wasn’t sure that I would get there in time, and they made those arrangements for me. The young men had apparently gotten so lost that they arrived quite late and had to wake the hosts to gain access.)

Breakfast was wonderful! The selection was not unusually extensive, but it held all the items one would normally expect. What set it apart from other buffets was the quality of its offerings – for example, the ham and cheeses were locally produced and were a decided cut above the usual breakfast buffet. Delicious!

Other features of the hotel that I especially appreciated included free internet access, elevator access to all floors, and a comfortable 2nd floor common area with floor-to-ceiling windows (some of which could be opened) that guests could use at any time.

The hotel is not perfect: my bathroom was lit by fluorescent tubes to either side of the bathroom mirror (bright, but not my favorite type of lighting); on one of my two mornings there, the hot water began to give out just before I finished a long shower (but it remained hot enough for me to finish); the mattress in my room seemed a tiny bit past its prime (but didn’t prevent me from sleeping well); and the décor was a bit dated (but the rooms were spotless). Also, my room was one of the ones with a dormer window on the top floor. It didn’t have the large windows that many of this hotel’s rooms have. If that matters to you, make your preferences clear.

I thought the hotel remarkably affordable in light of its wonderful location, hosts, and breakfast. If I am fortunate enough to return to Sarlat-la-Caneda, I would happily return to the Hotel Logis Montaigne.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank KJA3
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Attractive hotel from outside in great location, very small inside with aging decor. For a short stay in Sarlat, more than sufficient. Very nice buffet breakfast and hotel owners quite lovely and helpful.

The free wifi works very well in the rooms -- the best of our entire European adventure. The hotel is just outside the old walled city, great walking location near everything but away from the main crowd.

The parking by the hotel is only free on weekend, otherwise park a few blocks away in the difficult to find (the map provided is inaccurate) location.

Breakfast was quite ample for one morning. Beyond that go to local eateries for variety and to keep cost low.

BTW, we arrived Sunday afternoon and the hotel was closed. We had to wait in the street for two hours in 90+ degree heat. I had noted our arrival plan on our reservation but no one informed us of this closure.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MillerWordScore
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Great host very friendly and helpful. Great hotel for star rating & value. Usual solid breakfast. Very clean.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 1JayB
Reviewed 29 March 2011

We stayed in the family room with a double bed in 1 room and 2 twin beds in the other room. The room was clean and comfortable with 2 flat screen TVs. There was a computer in the lobby area for guest use. The hotel was very close to the historic district. The breakfast buffet (additional cost) was good. We had dinner at a nearby restaurant, Le Tourny, recommended by the hotel. It was good and gave us our first taste of foie gras and duck gizzards.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family