Le Continental
La Mere Champlain Hotel Restaurant(Cancale)(Great Value!)
US$181
Le Querrien(Cancale)
Le Cancalais(Cancale)
  • Beachfront
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 May 2014

If you are looking for service, stay away ! The managing couple does not seem to realise that they are in the service business.
Evening or arrival : we ask if they could recommend any other restaurant in town, we are almost 'shouted' at : "you don't think that we can recommend another restaurant if we have one ourselves". Their restaurant is calles "l'ormeau". We realised afterwards it's about 50% more expensive that other restaurants in town for the same dish (sole meunière costs 36€, I payed 24€ in "le contre courant" and the food was great.
Next morning : I go down to get a cup of coffee to drink in the room, an habitude we have during the weekend at home. "No, we don't serve coffee in the room". When I tell the lady she could serve it to me in the restaurant and I woud take it to the room, she gets even more unfriendly : "no, we have had bad experiences with coffee in the room, you cannot take coffee upstairs".
This is where the nice view suddely becomes less important ... we left the hotel without having breakfast and took a coffee and a croissant next door. Never Again !

Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Onkelfrankw
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I was part of the group of 12 mentioned in the previous review. We arrived worried about the previous reviews regarding the owner, Christophe Wasseurs', attitude. But once the "electrical event" was over, the owner and his wife could not have been more gracious. They bent over backwards to make our stay enjoyable, and they were very accommodating. The rooms are a good size, and the bathrooms very comfortable. The room decorations are plain, but the views of the harbour are beautiful! All of us in the group really enjoyed the restaurant L'Ormeau, and ended up eating all our breakfasts and dinners for the duration of the stay at L'Ormeau.
I would highly recommend this hotel. The owner and his wife really made us feel at home. They even came out to our cars and sent us off, on our last day, with hugs and kisses!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We came a group of 12 with reservations for 5 nights.
We arrive and after 20 mn it was an electrical problem in the hotel who force us to have dinner outside.
After that everyting was perfect , the beautiful view, Rooms are comfortable, Break fast is a must, 6 or 7 differents marmalade croissants,pain au chocolat, cheeses, cold cuts, fruits, eggs etc... The restaurant L'Ormeau is outstandig.The owner Christophe Wasseur is a real "defenseur" of the regional product. He help us to organize our visit around Cancale and made our vacations a memorable stay in Cancale.
Mr and Mme Wasseur are excellent Hoteliers Hosts

Room Tip: rooms are bigger on the 4th floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My travel companion and I were drawn to their menu by the artichokes. The artichokes were good, but our treatment was brusque and even rude. When we asked if we could make a reservation for 1:30 lunch, the proprietor said no because, he said, "If we reserved at 1:30, we would show up at 1:45." Perhaps that should have been our cue to leave without making the reservation, but we consented to come at 1:00 to accommodate him, and asked if he would set aside 2 artichokes for us. When we arrived, and I told our waitress that we had reserved (just to make sure they knew we had shown up as promised), she brusquely took the menus away from us, apparently assuming we only wanted the artichokes, though we had planned to order other things in addition.
As I said, the artichokes were fine; the fish soup was okay (nothing special), and the prices were high. But it was the way we were made to feel -- unwelcome and unappreciated -- that causes me to give them 2 stars. It may be that it was an off day, but if so, other travelers will no doubt reward them with more stars.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Richard0337
Reviewed 29 May 2013

My wife and me made a reservation for a room with sea view and were upgraded to a room with balcony on the second floor. Room # 7.

We had a wonderful view on the little bay.

We had dinner at evening which was very good although al little bit pricey.

We stayed at the "Le Continental" from May 23rd to May 25th (2 nights) and were very satisfied.

The "patron" and his spouse were very nice and helpful.

I recommend this hotel and would stay there again with much pleasure.

Room Tip: Room # 7 with balcony on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple