“Visit for family funeral”
Review of Hotel Regina

Hotel Regina
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Roscoff
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Visit for family funeral”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We were in Roscoff for a family funeral and decided to stay at the hotel nearest family home.
This hotel is backing onto the railway station that I believe takes you to Paris.

On arrival we were handed the key and pointed toward the lift, so not a very warm welcome. Although maybe the receptionist couldnt speak much english.

If you are claustraphobic - do not go in the lift. It is approx one metre long and less wide. My hubby and I belly to belly with one case jammed at our feet. Thankfully it didnt break down.

Its in an excellent setting within Roscoff halfway between the ferry port and the town centre.

If you are looking for 3 or 4 star hotel do not pick this hotel.
Very old and tired looking building.
Rooms very basic but had crisp clean bedding on the beds.
Toilet seat swivelling all over the place when used.
Shower was walk in without at door and quite modern although the rest of the bathroom was old looking
We didnt eat at the hotel so cannot comment on food.
When we tried to pay our bill in the morning, the bloke who runs it was nowhere to be seen and we had to sit about for 20 mins waiting for him. Even although a cleaner was available and I am sure could have taken the payment. Very unproffesional.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Okehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Ok, I'm going to try my very best to be fair so hear goes. The hotel Regina has nice croissants... Nope, that's it, that's the only positive thing I can say about it. It's absolutely dire, we booked 3 nights and could only manage one and just had to leave. First of all, this hotel seems to have just 1 member of staff (Basil Faulty) He does his best to be helpful but is actually the grumpiest hotel owner I've ever met. He seems to do everything from your breakfast at 8am to locking the door at 11pm. He either does it because he can't employ anyone or they just have no money to pay anyone? Who knows... Anyway, hotel is in very poor condition. Reception is very 70's (in a bad way) upper floors round the back actually have no windows at all just holes where they used to be. Most of the other rooms have PVC double glazing but open inwards leaving a huge drop to the pavement below with no safety rail at all, in fact that alone was quite terrifying. We had a lovely 70's pink bathroom suit, the mold growing on the side I think had also been there for the last 40 years also. bubbling wallpaper which was dirty or damp. NO TEA OR COFFEE making facilities at all, so if you are thirsty in the night good luck. Carpets had cellotape all over them due to them being threadbare and warn, lots of dirt around skirting boards and un hoovered carpets. The carpets in the hall had begun to ride up in what can only be described as a sea scape with waves running down the corridor. Also interesting Egyptian papyrus on the walls even though it's in france? Anyway I digress. The breakfast was a joke even for continental standards. A megre offering that you didn't want to take too much in-case someone else would have none, but for 7 euros there are far better fare outside. This hotel has the smallest lift in the world seriouly can get one bag in it and you if you are a wafer thin model. The restaurant is now closed along with the bar, so no food or drink, there is a tobacconist and bar (la Sailor) but we weren't overly impressed with that either.
If you read my other reviews you will say I hardly ever slate a hotel (in fact i don't think I ever have) but this one unfortunatly needs closing down, new owners sought and it re done up as it could be something quite fantastic but right now it's a sad sad reflection of better times and that is a real shame but it seems the reason for it's current condition is Mr Faulty on reception. Sometimes it's best to just hand things over and let someone else run it.
Close to the town and port and railway station. There is a car park but seriously guys, ignore any pics he puts up of the hotel.. I guarantee you that wont be your room and just look some place else as we will be doing next time.

Room Tip: Tips for choosing a good room?... Find another hotel?
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank northlewbroadband

Travellers are raving about these Roscoff hotels

Croydon
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed 4 nights from 31st July 2013 in a single ensuite room (60 Euro pn in high season-or 70 for double room) in room 433 with great views of the sea front. Hotel room was clean, quiet, bed comfortable, hot ralnfall power showers and good for ferry, bus or rail travel-( very near the rail station,or 10 minutes walk to the bus stop by the information centre for route 28/29 to Morlaix and then on 60 to Quimper all for 2 euro.)
Disadvantages of hotel- rooms small, shabby, no bar at hotel, no coffee/tea making in hotel (although large milky coffee to drink in or take out at the bar (le sailor) opposite (open 7am-8pm Mon-Sat) Prices are fixed at hotel so no deals possible no matter how far in advance you book or how long you stay. However, there are always rooms available here even at short notice in high season.

Room Tip: ask for the sea view rooms on the 4th floor- same price but they are quieter and the views across t...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed here with our 2 children for a stopover enroute elsewhere. I have to agree with other reviewers. The hotel is seriously in need of some updating. The rooms were small and desperatly need some finessing. A proper show wouldn't go a miss too. It looked more like a budget B&B rather than the 82 euros we paid. The room was cold (although to be fair it was cold out) and the corridors dark. On the plus side, it's not a bad spot, has free wi-fi and my kids loved the old fashioned lift!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

Desperately in need of decoration. Clean. Claustrophobic stairs and a lift smaller than my broom cupboard. Very pleasant staff. No drinks making facility (bar opposite very friendly and provided take away coffees). Convenient location short walk to sea front. Great for a stop over for the ferry but wouldn't want to stay for longer.

• Stayed May 2013
Plymouth, Devon
Reviewed 26 October 2012

What's tricky? Well, trying to do justice to this hotel because there are marked contrasts. My room was on the fourth floor and I always used the stairs as I need the exercise; the lift is tiny but...c'est la vie. Like other facets of tnis hotel, there is simply not going to be investment. After all, the tariff is reasonable, if not cheap.

The previous reviewer seems unaware of the electronic room key fob which opens the main entrance door. Yes, that means you need to take the key with you rather than hand in! On this theme, the room key is, well, different. Not just a card key but one that you need to KEEP in the slot whilst opening and closing the door.

My room had a goodish view, could see Chapelle Ste Barbe and the sea but note the photograph for base of ceiling light fitting? Shower OK, toilet OK but decoration desperately needed. So, all in all, 3 out of 5 might not seem good but look at it another way, it's 60%...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank plymouth
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed 19 October 2012

My daughter and I found the Hotel Regina to be great! Our room was really clean and comfortable, with everything we needed - even free wifi! There was a quirky elevator that held exactly one of us plus a bag, but it was much better than taking the stairs like we had to do in many of the places we stayed throughout Europe. The couple at the front desk were nice and very helpful despite our lack of a common language. And, we literally walked right out of the train station and 10 steps later were at our hotel, which was wonderful after a really long travel day. The only thing I would change is hotel access after hours - I would have really preferred a key or a card that would enable us to come and go at any time. I like to go out walking at night, but with no way to get back in, it was like having a curfew.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family