“Just watch that wind”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Roscoff
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Just watch that wind”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

The first time we had a week-end break in Roscoff we wandered past the Tamaris and thought how nice it would be to stay there - but that it was probably rather high-end in terms of cost. When we investigated the tariff we were amazed how reasonable it was and according booked to stay on our next visit. And the next. And the next. The only thing that now stops us choosing the Tamaris automatically every time we're over there is the fact that it's so damned popular that it's sometimes hard to get a room. When you do the experience is magical: nothing but sea and a view of the Ile de Batz by day, nothing but stars and the flashing of lighthouses at night. The Tamaris is totally tranquil, well away from the town centre, the management helpful (they always store perishable foods in their fridge for us on the night before we leave) and the rooms superbly fitted out and comfortable. Just beware the 'stopover' rooms offered at the lowest rate, which are at the back of the building and thus dont benefit from sea views. OK in extremis, but otherwise not the same experience. Breakfasts are generous and excellent value. But do watch the wind. This is a very exposed site and once the gales get up they can be very lively: returning to our room one day we were unable to open the door and thought perhaps the lock had jammed. It hadn't. We had left the window partly open, a gale had blown up and it was the pressure of the air on the other side of the door that was stopping us opening it.

Room Tip: Book early. Forget the 'stopover' rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed here for five nights having arrived at 08.30 on the ferry from Plymouth on our bicycles.

We were able to have breakfast (fantastic) and leave our panniers before setting out on a days cycling. When we returned later in the day our bags had been taken up to the room.

Definitely worth paying the extra for a room with a sea view and the staff are wonderful.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a sea view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a night last night as part of a long-route journey to the south of France for a wedding. Unfortunately I got ill a few days before arriving at Tamaris. Upon arrival first thing in the morning my (new!) wife who is much more fluent in French than I explained that I was ill and asked whether they had a room available early. They cordially got a room ready several hours ahead of schedule. The next morning they arranged for a Dr appointment for me at the fantastic surgery two doors away. I was seen almost immediately! The staff at the hotel seemed to genuinely care - very impressed!

Aside from that, I understand (I wasn't eating but my wife was) breakfast included fantastic local jam and the bed is unusually generous in size. The view is fantastic.

Stayed July 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed July 2014
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at Tamaris for a week, in a sea-facing room, with no car for transport.. The hotel was very well presented, very clean,with extremely helpful staff . We were provided with tea-making facility in room. The bathroom was very well planned and the shower one of the easiest to adjust that we have ever found.
Thed room was small, by Australian or American standards, but very comfortable and adequate. WiFi was excellent.
Roscoff is a delightful town to stay in and we visited the red granite coast by train and buses--all on time and excellent. Brittany Ferries are also very well managed and I recommend the ferry, the town and this hotel to anyone wanting a weekend in Brittany.

Room Tip: Pick a sea-facing room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This Hotel has a wonderful view over the sea towards Ile de Batz. Only 5 minutes walk into the centre of Roscoff. A good continental breakfast is available and owners and staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
CAERNARFON,WALES
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Well,this is a great little place with friendly owners who certainly know how to run a hotel. We stayed here for two nights and will certainly return for longer, now that we've found this place.
We had a sea view room, well worth the extra. The superking bed was really comfortable. I can't stand hard beds and most places have them now. Please don't change the beds.
Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and really good value.
Parking right outside and everything you need is within walking distance.

Room Tip: Sea view a must
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple