“Surprisingly good hotel”

Inter-Hotel Manche Ocean
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Vannes
Reviewed 25 September 2011

When you first arrive, do not be put off by the drab neighborhood the hotel seems to be in. The hotel is actually excellently situated, approximately a 3-5 min. walk to the walled city. Even if you do not want to walk there for dinner, the next street over has a variety of restaurants. Also, conveniently, if you are on a long trip, a bakery (with long hours) is directly across the street, a small grocery store (called Petite Casino) is one street over, and next to it is a laundromat. Though the hotel seems plain on the outside, the room where we stayed was clean, modern, and attractively decored. Unlike some hotels, the bathroom had plenty of space (the toilet was separate) and enough space for your toiletries. The one complaint I had is there was no plug for my curling iron. The breakfast was just about right for the price. The staff speaks good English (ask for a map of the town). If you have a car, you will need to reserve the garage in advance.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 July 2011

I spent one night in a double for single use in the Inter-Hotel Manche Ocean in May. My room made good use of a non-rectangular floor plan and offered an interesting and enjoyable view of the outer edges of the Old Town and a bit of the cathedral. The interior décor included an odd combination of colors (e.g., deep yellow walls with white trim, but a bedcover in deep crimson, blue, and green). Nothing was particularly fancy, but everything was clean and tidy. The shower offered plenty of hot water at a good pressure. The room also had a minibar.

The buffet breakfast served a nice selection of tasty items. And the hotel has a computer that guests can use. It didn’t have a qwerty keyboard, but it was free.

The reception staff with whom I interacted spoke English well and were very helpful. For example, I had booked a parking space in advance, but found a place just outside the door, which I planned to use just long enough to take my suitcase into the hotel. The receptionist told me that the space I had found would be free throughout my stay and – after making sure I was willing to leave my car parked outside – volunteered to take the charge for the hotel’s parking space off my bill. I appreciated that unexpected act of generosity!

The hotel is in a good location for exploring Vannes. It is just over a block from one of the gates to the Old City. At first, I found that one block disconcertingly empty – something that I paid attention to because I am female and was traveling alone. I was a bit more alert than I might otherwise have been, but did not see any reason to question my safety. When I looked more closely, I concluded that it was quiet only because most of the businesses in that block were not open when I was there (Saturday night and Sunday).

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Very pleasant hotel in good location to explore the lovely city of Vannes. The breakfast was excellent. Limited but safe under cover parking. Nearby " Gavroche" restaurant was very good.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2010

We stayed 2 nights in this modern and comfortable hotel, the large queen-size bed was appreciated as were the sound-proof windows (the hotel is on a busy road). The hotel has been recently renovated and everything was very clean. Buffet breakfast was very satisfying and the owners are very engaging. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2006

We had a double room for a week in September and very much enjoyed our stay. The room was very comfortable and clean, there was small hallway between the bedroom and bathroom containing the wardrobe so it was almost a suite.

The breakfast buffet was good, cheese, meat, croissant, bread, cakes etc., and was served in a bright airy room.

Parking in the basement was available for a fee but there didn't seem to be many places, so it is probably best to reserve space in advance. We had booked a car from a nearby Europcar outlet. WiFi was available and wasn't horribly expensive, at least not by UK standards.

The hotel is a short walk from the old town with its cathedral, museums and restaurants. Vannes is well placed for sightseeing around the bay of Morbihan. The hotel staff were very helpful with maps, guides and advice.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Desmo_Dave
Reviewed 2 August 2006

The Manche Ocean is a two star hotel near Vannes’s centre; you can easily reach the city centre within a short walk but the hotel is not placed in a “romantic area”. Our room was nice and very clean although a bit noisy since we were over a street crossing. We decided to have breakfast for 8,50 euro but I think it doesn’t worth the value, however there is a very good bakery (boulangerie) right in front of the hotel. The garage was 6,50 euro per night and I think it is convenient because there is not free parking around the hotel, although you have to pay attention to the ceiling since it is very low. The hotel provides an elevator but it doesn’t reach the car park. Staff was helpful. I don’t think I am going to come back to the Manche Ocean because of its charmless but it is a good choice for who wants to visit Vannes without spending a fortune.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank Bambolbia
Reviewed 26 April 2004

My husband and I visited Brittany this March and had decided that Vannes would be a good place to spend the night. Finding a place to stay was a bit of a challenge since a couple of places on the water listed in our guide books were gone, and other places in town were difficult to find during rush hour traffic and twisty, one-way streets. But alas, we found Hotel Manche-Ocean. It was built in the 50s, so it's not a "charming" place, but it's well located and very clean, comfortable, and friendly. The best features are that we had a king-size bed (actually 2 twins pushed together, but it works great!), a stand-up shower stall, an elevator, and a car park. And the surrounding area has lots of shops and restaurants to choose from. It was very reasonably priced at 55 Euros plus 6.50 Euros for the car park.

• Stayed: March 2004