“Ibis Budget Macon Sud”

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Vauban4

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We chose this based on the reviews for a cheap stop off in Macon on the drive up through France.

I assumed that Ibis would have a basic level, that even their budget range would meet. That is not the case.

The rooms were dirty, the beds were foam on ply-wood and unbelievably uncomfortable.
It was a terrible night's sleep, and actually given the quality of the place , it is over priced.
This is the worst hotel I have stayed in, and I have stayed in many much better and cheaper hostels.
Avoid it if you can!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The Ibis is situated in the semi industrial area, and easy to find only a few minutes from the Highway.
The accommodation is basic and clean with a small TV and plugs to charge once cell phone and Table. The free WiFi allows one to cash up with home in the comfort of once room.
Ibis also provided its own WiFi music with the iPhone App. This gave us some background music.
The breakfast was basic and to the point with real fresh coffee beans been grounded as you wait.
It was easy to book and we paid with Credit Card. The fact that they require you to use electronic
payment prevents to a great extent the room been used for short term sex workers. There is a restaurant attached as well as vending machines. If you are traveling and a require a clean bed, clean Bathroom Shower, clean building, good service and a quick breakfast, then this is it The low price also helps.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ADewas
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Clean comfortable rooms, easy check in and check out, free Wifi in the bedrooms. Couldn't eat there as it was a Sunday but there is a place over the road. Good stopover on the way to the Alpes or the South coast.

Room Tip: Front rooms face road. Very quiet at the back until 7am.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim G
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Ever since the first time I heard the expression "you get what you pay for" it rubbed me the wrong way. And this hotel is living proof that it's wrong. From the moment I arrived, I was astounded by how outstanding and unusual this hotel was in terms of service. Angélique, the very friendly young woman at the reception desk, greeted me with a genuine smile and concern for my stay. She was so helpful and kind I was completely astounded. I have stayed in numerous 4 and 5-star hotels in France and have NEVER had anyone at reception be as welcoming and efficient as Angélique (except at the Georges V in Paris). But, yeah, the Georges V costs more than 5x than this Ibis Budget... I needed a cheap hotel for one night in Macon that had secure parking, WiFi, and accepted dogs. This place completely delivered, EXCEPT the WiFi. It took me over half an hour to get the WiFi to work (but again, Angélique was stellar and even waited on hold for ages with customer service at their internet service provider) and this was not the hotel's fault (except for their poor choice of Orange as ISP, Orange is the worst in France, but that's another story). Angélique was extremely apologetic about the problem and offered me a complimentary hot beverage to ease the pain of the hassle. Once I was connected, it was the slowest connection I have ever experienced, which made my work difficult, but again, this was not the fault of Ibis, but Orange. Otherwise, the room was small but perfectly clean, had everything I needed, and my dog felt at ease immediately. The breakfast was very inexpensive and more than adequate for the price, and the coffee was particularly tasty. I wouldn't recommend having a holiday here, but for my needs, it was almost perfect (a faster internet connection would have made it absolutely perfect).

Room Tip: I asked to be on the ground floor so it would make it easier to take my dog out, and Angélique happi...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank CathyFrance
Reviewed 1 September 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank FitnFun
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed here for one night en route to Provence. We wanted a budget hotel that allowed us to break the journey and get a night's sleep without incurring a high cost. This Ibis was inexpensive, though - strangely - more expensive than the higher rated Ibis Style we stayed in the previous night in northern France.

The room reminded me of a youth hostel, so don't expect any frills. However, it was clean and the beds were reasonably comfortable. Having a third bed in the form of a bunk at right angles to the other beds saved space and pleased our son.

The air conditioning was barely adequate but we had no complaints about the bathroom.

We can't comment about the standard of the restaurant because we didn't stop for breakfast, preferring a croissant and coffee at the roadside.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family