“Loire Valley Chateau”

Domaine des Hauts de Loire
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Onzain
“Loire Valley Chateau”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Arriving at Domaine des Hauts de Loire one gets the feeling that you have journeyed back to a time when being lord of the manor meant something. The long wooded drive to the manor house makes for a grand arrival. The chateau itself is beautiful and on arriving there the staff immediately set out to get you and your bags settled in to your room. Our room was wonderful. It was large enough (two rooms, actually) to accommodate my wife and I and our full grown son. The bath was glorious. The staff were very helpful and arranged tours of the local chateau and a hot air balloon ride (good stuff, this). Breakfast (the only meal we took at the chateau) was very nice. This is a special place.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Tokyo
Reviewed 26 August 2012

One of my best hotel stay ever. We stayed only three nights but would have loved to extend our stay if our schedule would have allowed it. The rooms are simply gorgeous. A “Relais et Chateau” is basically a no brainer but sometimes you get to be astonished and we were. A great welcome by the staff and a smooth check-in, then the room discovery. We felt like royalty. The garden is amazing. The property is in a natural park with swans and ponds, a private forest and a swimming pool that feels like your own. Add a tennis court and a helicopter pad and you understand what I mean. The Bfast is simply out of this world. While sitting on the terrace overlooking the park you’ll enjoy a freshly squeezed real orange juice and anything else you desire cooked to perfection. Obviously the rooms have everything you need and even more. Which reminds me? I have never used the hotel iron they put in the rooms! Opening the window in the morning the view is breathtaking. Dinner in a two star French restaurant is always a pleasure. But in addition to the great food, the fantastic wine selection, the people surrounding you and the staff it’s the atmosphere that makes all the difference. They have a little SALON were you can take aperitif prior to going to the restaurant this place is great, it’s like the museums we visited in the Chateau in the afternoon, except that there its written don’t touch and here you sitting in it. Personal touches are also extremely nice. I was traveling with an old Japanese couple so the maître D proposed freshly caught river Loire fishes from the morning as a meal suggestion. They loved it and we really appreciated the touch. Wonder if I traveled with American friends if they would have killed a buffalo for us? The Hotel manager makes sure he succeeds to chat with every client making sure they are satisfied. The property is so big that surprisingly, romantic couples, retired elderly and young children all manage to blend in without disturbing one another. I love this place. It’s not cheap but it’s worth every penny. If I happen to be in the region I will definitely stay there again.

1 Thank RoppongiTokyo
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed here 3 nights, on our way from Normandy to South of France. It was one of the highlights of our trip. The grounds and hotel are beautiful, swans swimming in the lake in front of the hotel, a nice pool and several trails to ride bikes or walk. It was luxurious, but very comfortable and welcoming, with an understated, easy elegance. Rooms were large and comfortable.

The staff was extremely friendly and accomodating. We enjoyed a consistent high level of service from everyone we encountered through out our entire 3 days stay. They had helpful suggestions for planning our drives to the various chateaus in the area, as well as helping us map our route to our next destination in Provence. The property is well situated to conveniently visit a number of the most spectactular chateaus along the Loire.

We had dinner in the restaurant - excellent food and stellar service, however the menu was very limited.

Overall, our family had a wonderful, five star experience here.

NYC, NY
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed at Domaine des Hautes de Loire 15 years ago - At the time, it was our first trip to France and our first venture out of Paris - so for us a big deal. We generally do not like repetition especially when we recall a place as good but not great. However, it was the best location in the area so we thought we would give it another try. While there are some very nice aspects, overall it was a big disappointment and a mistake to have come back.

The rooms - nice but not elegant - at least the family room we had. I would not call it an apartment (as they do) but rather a large room cut in half by a not very sound proof door (so we had to turn off the TV when our kids went to bed). The rooms were pretty well cared for – lots of towels but they were not soft (I really love a soft towel when I am away). Bottled water on some nights but not all. We were really irritated by the fact that they did not fold up the sleeper couch during the day, which meant that we had no place to sit down – this is just plain lazy – even in a Best Western they fold up the couch….. (I tried several times to do it myself so I had a place to sit down but I could not figure it out.)

Gardens – the pool is wonderful and the gardens really lovely.

Dinner – the food quality is superb – we had two excellent meals there. Expensive for sure but very elegant and very high quality food. Service at dinner was very good but unbalanced – for example the sommelier was terrific – genuinely wanted to share his local wines with us – we really enjoyed this! However, on the other end of the spectrum was a waitress with the worst attitude – she served us cheese by telling us “strong, strong, strong” – no names, no info, not even did she serve us proper bread – She served the tables around us properly – it was just a differential treatment of Americans who I guess she assumed had no idea about cheese other than it was “strong”. It was one of the rudest and most disrespectful treatments we have ever had at a fine dining experience. Perhaps she did not speak English – it would have been fine to tell us in French but not to tell us at all, come on..…..

In our case, we had two pretty significant issues, which brought the hotel way down for us. The first was that when we arrived at 3:35 pm our room was not ready. We were escorted to the terrace served some nice wine and told it would be a few minutes – We did not access our room until 4:45! In my book, not a few minutes…For us this was a pretty big deal -- we had been traveling for a while, we really really needed the down time and were so looking forward to resting by the pool – we just did not have the time…. We were told that the people who had the room before “just would not leave” – I have to say, NMP (not my problem) – a room should definitely be ready by 4pm the latest – 4:45 is unacceptable.

Worst than that was the fact that the room we had waited so long for HAD THE AC broken - and boy was it hot!! So, it took us a while to figure this out since the AC in the other half of the room (notice I did not say other room…) did work. So, then our supposedly restful afternoon was further disrupted by the fact that every person in the office had to come by to see if we could in fact turn on the AC properly….So, not only were we HOT we were invaded by every employee in the office! The fixed it the next morning and gave us a fan for the night. (If they had it fixed in the time we had breakfast in the morning - so about 1/2 hour - how come they could not have fixed it the night before so we could sleep properly??)

How did the manager deal with this issue? After greeting the important Parisians, the manager found his way to our table to apologize for the broken AC – I asked a simple question “how do you not know that the AC is broken? Don't you check the rooms to make sure everything is working?” I wish that I had a picture of the look of disdain on his face – I think personifies the whole tone of the place – which is one of irritated tolerance not warmth – from the managers expression, it clearly permeates from the top.

In terms of compensation, the price of the room was reduced by 15% for that evening. No offer of a breakfast or even a glass of champagne – we were not looking for a “free-bee” but some acknowledgement and respect for our time and inconvenience.

Room Tip: We definitely do not recommend the apartments for families - they are a step below the main rooms an...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank harlemfamily
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 July 2012

This was by far the most superb property we stayed in (and we went 3-5 star the whole way) at the end our a three week diving tour of France. The staff was exactly what you would hope for in such a property; efficient, helpful, formal, thorough and mostly invisible unless you need something. The grounds were dreamy and like having your own private hunting forest complete with swan pond, swimming pool, tennis and garden. The food was excellent and there was a true cocktail hour. I felt like a civilized human being just relaxed and in the moment. Our room was "family room" which was really a 2 bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms complete with two patios one front and one back. A great place to stay. All that said however, I would only go back there if it were just with my spouse sans our two children.

It is definitely a honeymoon/lovers destination or a retiree retreat. I was on constant watch to make sure my children (2 boys) would not disturb the tranquility of the place for the other quests. While mine were swimming in the pool there were several couples relaxing and or swimming laps so we made sure our kids stayed at one end of the pool, no splashing etc.. They still had a great time climbing the look out tower and admiring the swans and cruising the gardens, but this was most definitely a PsAndQs kind of place. (Which in my opinion, is a good lesson for all kids to know how to behave in a truly adult environment).

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Beautiful property. Stayed in a junior suite that was dated with very small windows . I had to ask if this was indeed a suite. Bed linens were average, no bottled water was supplied...though it was available for purchase in the mini bar. I find this is an important point as all most always 5 star properties offer bottled water supplied daily. Breakfast was relaxing and very simple. Dinners are lovely. We were there for many nights and though we enjoyed our stay, we were a bit disappointed in our accommodation, especially since I requested an updated room...and to have windows that were basically useless, well......
Would I recommend? Yes, but only with the information that it is much less than a 5 star except for the prices. Note: staff were exceptionally friendly and happy. Always a positive!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maruska c
Toronto
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Not much to add that other reviews have already stated. Bathroom was lovely although it took some time for us to get use to having the toilet in a separate room from the rest of the bathroom. Room was lovely - I personally prefer more modern decor but the room decor goes well with the rest of charm of the hotel. Also, very clean. I had to sit on the floor to do something so I know. We ate at the restaurant the first night and dinner was amazing. Portions are small but with 7 courses and the rich food, we couldn't finish everything! Loved, loved, loved the cheese selection.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onzain
Domaine de la Tortiniere
#1 of 1 in Cande-sur-Beuvron
Le Manoir Saint Thomas
Le Manoir Saint Thomas
#2 of 25 in Amboise

Been to Domaine des Hauts de Loire? Share your experiences!