“Comfortable, Relaxing Inn at an Amazing Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Domaine des Hauts de Loire

Domaine des Hauts de Loire
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Onzain
New York
“Comfortable, Relaxing Inn at an Amazing Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We had two nights in the Loire Valley, and while the Michelin-starred restaurant attracted us, the rooms, service, facilities and location won us over. The hotel exceeded our every expectation. We stayed in the carriage house a few steps from the main building and our room (39) was spacious, quiet, clean and very comfortable. The staff here really make a difference - we were treated so well and so professionally. As for the restaurant, we will not forget the meals for a very long time. Service was impeccable. Breakfast was a treat as well - eat outside or have it brought to your room. There is an excellent swimming pool and a tennis court on the property, also plenty of nice hikes in the woods and a number of classic Chateau are nearby. Onzain is a couple of kilometers down the road, and while we heard that there is a good patisserie there, if you stay here it's because you want to eat in the restaurant (just note that dinner is not served every night of the week).
We will come back here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Denver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

While the stay was enjoyable, I was left with a bad taste in my mouth because of the billing. Having ordered 2 coffees to my room one morning, I was charged for a full breakfast. There was no way to order just coffee and the form is very deceptive. I'm sure others have had this same problem as another couple in our party did. When questioned at checkout, this was dismissed with the shrug of the shoulders by both the clerk at the desk and by the manager, Eric. On our second to last day there, we specifically ordered ala carte from the menu at breakfast and again were charged the full fare. My wife sent her orange juice back three times, stating that she didn't order it. We were charged anyway! Once again stating that this is what we ordered our question was dismissed. I know what I ordered as I pointed directly to it on the menu. There was also a charge for 18 euros on the first evening which was not on either of our friends bill. We ordered nothing different from them and , in fact, did not order the food that they ordered. I believe that this was also a mistake, but was so frustrated that I ignored it and knew that it would be like talking to a wall. I feel that I was overcharged by about 70euros. I can certainly afford this overcharge, but can in no way recommend the property. Like I said, enjoyable stay, but bad feeling when I left.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank dagood1
Eric H, Directeur général at Domaine des Hauts de Loire, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Dear Sir,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a comment about our establishment.
I am pleased that you and your friends have enjoyed your stay at the Domaine.
It was a real pleasure to welcome you here for three days.
However, I was very sorry and sad about the bad feeling you had on check out.
You mentioned that you didn’t order the full breakfast.
I have re-checked all your files and it was ordered on the form.
When the breakfast was delivered to your room you never mentioned that it was not what you ordered and you accept it. That is the reason why I didn’t agree to reimburse you for this.
It has never happened in the past, but I understand that it can be confusing.
If you thought this form wasn’t clear enough, you could have made a call to order just a coffee or to ask what you have to fill in to have a simple coffee, but you didn’t.
On your bill you have a refund of 12 euros for the breakfast and orange juice was not charged for.
Concerning the 18 euros, this corresponds to three cokes light ordered on the first day.
You were so nice that we accepted you bringing your own bottle of wine each evening without charging any corkage.
Again, after such a lovely stay, I am very sad that your good feeling was spoiled by what you consider by overbilling.
We never overcharged our guest.
A mistake can always happen, and in such case we, of course, always reimburse the guest, but in your case everything charged for have been ordered and consumed.
I know that your stay was more enjoyable than you have written about it, but when you have one disappointing point you essentially highlight this…..
That’s what comes across on these kinds of website.
Anyway, after this letter of clarification, I will be very happy to welcome you again at the Domaine des hauts de Loire.
Please feel free to contact me personally.
Yours faithfully
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

If you have dreamed about being in a hunting lodge built in 1860, this is the place. The winding path through the forest leads to a beautiful ivy covered mansion with a magnificent dining patio. There is a pond complete with swans. You might think you are on a movie set.

We had been here before and I had wonderful memories of the place. It has been refurbished to be even more spectacular. When the woman at reception heard we had stayed here previously, she told us of all the changes that had been made including the complete overhaul of the manor house which looks quite lovely. We stayed on the top floor of the main building up a pretty winding staircase with stained glass windows. Our room was small but beautifully furnished, light, airy and charming.
We had the tasting menu dinner which was wonderful and elegantly served. Breakfast on the sunny patio is absolutely charming. The manager of the hotel, Eric Hertz, came to our table when he heard we had been here many years ago. He has done a terrific job with this property. I didn't think there was any way it could be improved from our previous stay, but they have found a way to do just that.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

What makes this place unique are the decor and estate. It's surrounded by a forest which has tennis courts and a swimming pool dispersed.

It has a, mostly, timeless sort of luxury. It's hard to nail down what era / style it is, although, the orange decor for the dinning areas give it a bit stale, 70's feel. Besides that, it was fun.

The clientele, when were were there were mostly middle aged people. There were 2 or so families and one young couple.

Restaurant is great (separate review)

1 Thank Alan K
Chippenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

This is a fabulous 19th Century hunting lodge in a 70 hectare estate of mainly forest with a small lake.Elegant but very friendly and relaxed. We had room 7 which was a suite with sitting room, bedroom and bathroom which had the most fantastic spa shower. The is a tennis court and heated swimming pool and I found a spiral metal staircase in the garden that went high enough to reach the canopy of the trees (I guess, I didn't get past the 18th step before I lost my nerve!) You can burn off some calories walking along the forest paths .( 15, 30 and 45 minute walks are marked out.) Needless to say the food was fabulous and beautiful.

Room Tip: We loved Room 7
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

Wanted to stay in the Loire Valley in a mansion / chateau but found it difficult to find one that seemed suitable for both what we wanted and the requirements of our little boy. (13 months old)
This hotel was recommended on Ciao Bambino website so we rang the manager. He was excellent in suggesting an appropriate room and local attractions.
We stayed in a King Suite which was very spacious and allowed our boy to sleep peacefully at night whilst we could continue to eat, drink and read without disturbing him. The room was very well furnished and had a good sized balcony. Not too much a 1 year old could destroy.
The grounds were spectacular and if not for the rain we may not have left the hotel at all.
Enjoying a glass of wine on the terrace whilst our boy ran around the lawn, chasing swans and watching the fish was a great relaxing afternoon.
Had the awesome experience of having the 2 Michelin star restaurant provide a room service style meal. Table set, candles, wine, water and a 3 course meal whilst our boy slept was awesome. The food was spectacular and the attention to detail even in our room was superb.
Breakfast as expected.
Needed some cleaning products as a result of car sickness (or too much chocolate for our little boy) and to wander down to the laundry and kitchens reminded us that this truly was a working version of Downton Abbey.
Swimming pool and tennis courts available but we didn't use these as the weather was poor.
Its not the Four Seasons as I think some of the other guests staying at the time thought, so don't expect everyone to speak English and to ask for a Nicoise salad without the tomato, tuna or anchovies will get you the look you deserve!!!
Not cheap (at least for the room we had) but well and truly worth every thing we paid for the experience and service.
I feel like I keep writing good reviews this trip, but I could not give this anything other than 5 stars.

Room Tip: King Suite with balcony suited us with a 1 year old ideally.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TandDAustralia
Charlotte, Nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

My husband and I spent two wonderful nights at this elegant property outside of Onzain in the Loire Valley. The entire property in breathtakingly gorgeous, our room was spacious and lovely and the service was discreet and perfectly efficient. We really did feel as though we were staying in a private home. The peonies is our room were beautiful and probably cut right from their beautiful property. The restaurant was closed the first night which they had taken care to tell us well in advance of our arrival. The concierge was very willing to find us a great spot to dine nearby. Our dinner at the hotel the second night was simply superb in every way. While one can only see so many chateaus before they all start to run together, I would return to this lovely spot just to enjoy the hotel on its own merits! It is about two and one half hours southwest of Paris and was a great midway stop for us between visiting Normandy and completing our trip in Paris. That being said, having a rental car was a must for this kind of a trip. Driving though all of the small French Villages was one of the best parts of the trip!

Room Tip: We stayed in room number one which overlooked the front lawns and the swans paddling by in the nearb...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onzain
Chateau de Pray
#3 of 25 in Amboise
Chateau de Noizay
Chateau de Noizay
#1 of 1 in Noizay

Been to Domaine des Hauts de Loire? Share your experiences!