“just as good as ever”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kelling
romford
“just as good as ever”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Goodness knows how many times we have been here even back in the days when decorating meant changing the cobwebs.
The rooms are great , the staff very pleasant, food plenty of choice.
One little niggle this weekend I wish they would have crab on the menu at least once.
Will be back again later in the year.

Room Tip: All rooms to the same specification unless in the dearer rooms in the actual hose itself.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
mbryant82, General Manager at The Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your review, I am delighted to hear you had a good stay and very much looking forward to seeing you again.

Mark Bryant

p.s - Our new Head Chef has devised a specific crab menu which we are running every day whilst fresh crab is available to us. I do hope you have the opportunity to try this?

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Just returned from a two night stay at The Pheasant Hotel. The hotel is set in lovely grounds, the rooms are well decorated and beds are very comfortable. Lovely to have the cookies and fresh fruit platter in the rooms on arrival, however, if the cookies are going to be left in the rooms for the whole of our stay they should be in airtight containers. We all enjoyed an excellent meal on our first night and a good breakfast the next morning, however the following evening was a different story, we questioned whether the chef had changed. Certainly whoever was on the pass didn't have the same attention to detail. The Chowder was very disappointing, had trouble finding any haddock!!! The white wine was served un chilled and only after we had to remind the staff to bring to us. Both nights we had to top up our wine ourselves. The Fish had to be returned as it was off !!! The staff were very apologetic and replaced without fuss, but it did detract from a special birthday meal. The rooms on Day 2 were not replenished with toilet rolls, shower gels or tea bags and we had to call reception to get these. This was done very willingly, nevertheless you should not have to ask for such basics in a hotel of this standard. The barman was very friendly and competent, all other staff were generally friendly, however there was not enough of them at busy times, for example we had to wait for 10 minutes to check out and there was no staff on reception or visible. Breakfast on day 2 varied in quantities from Day 1 ie 1 hash brown instead of 2, 1 half of tomato instead of 2.
Overall we had a good stay and would visit again, if the inconsistencies were resolved. If they were resolved this could be an amazing hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a feature room on the first floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank deaconwife
Thank you for your detailed review and I can assure you your constructive comments have been discussed with the whole team. We work very hard to ensure all of our guests go away happy and can only apologise if some aspects of your stay were below our usual high standard.

We do hope you visit the Pheasant again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Have just returned from a very enjoyable stay at this hotel. A good location for exploring North Norfolk. The feature room was very quiet and the beds very comfortable. We enjoyed our meals; there was plenty of space around the hotel to sit and relax and the staff were all extremely obliging.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank William L
Thank you for your kind review which I have passed onto the team. We all look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Pheasant.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was my 4th visit in the last 5 months, so it cant be bad. I stay in lots of lovely places whilst on business and if I return it usually means they must be doing something right.
First the bedrooms, they are all modern functional very pleasant rooms in which to stay, plenty of space, nice size tv, workspace, plenty of electrical sockets, safe, lovely bedding, one criticism would be that the double beds are two singles pushed together even though there is no way that the room could be set up as a twin because of the fixed bedside tables.
Bathrooms lovely and modern too with very nice showers.
The evening meals on each and every one of the 4 occasions I have eaten there have been superb, cant find fault with them at all. Lovely Fireplace in the winter and fine selection of beers and wines.
Now comes the downside, breakfasts for me are awful, so much so that last month I only had toast (which you have to make yourself) and a pot of tea.
Next probably is the biggest downside, even more so than the breakfast and that is the reception, I have stayed 4 times which means I have had to Check in and Check out a total of 8 times and I think 5 times I have had to wait and then try and find someone and on at least 2 occasions ended up ringing the hotel number to try and get someone to turn up at reception.
For me these two annoyances are not great enough to stop me from staying again, but they are enough to prevent me from rating the place as 5.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jon G
Thank you for your honest and detailed feedback which I have shared with the whole team. I am pleased that in the most you enjoyed your time with us but do apologise if we fell short in any areas.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Very good hotel with lovely staff in beautiful location. Food was delicious, good variety available. Bed was two pushed together but very comfy, slept like a log! Would recommend a walk up the hill over the road for some lovely views of the area. Will definitely recommend to people and would visit again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Toni B
Thank you for your great review. I will be sure to pass this feedback onto the team who will be delighted like I am you enjoyed your time with us.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

I was travelling with other family members and so we had booked two rooms. I had chosen The Pheasant Hotel on the basis of the good reviews and also that as one of my family was recovering from an operation and was predominantly wheel chair bound, the hotel offered easy access. To make things easier, they were offered room 17 on the ground floor which I understand is also a family room, having a large walk in shower with integral seat for those less stable on their feet or wheel chair bound. There is a slight incline between the accommodation that is located towards the rear of the hotel and the restaurant, bar reception area, but no steps so ideal for those less able. The rear car park and side entrance also made things easy to access our ground floor rooms.

We were not disappointed with the hotel. The rooms and guest areas were all decorated and finished to a high standard, and the cleanliness was excellent. We ate in the restaurant during our two day stay and the food was pleasant and all of the staff were courteous and friendly. For at least the rooms we had, there is no view though, as you look out onto a bank of grass.

The surrounding grounds are well maintained, but unfortunately we did not have the weather to enjoy the outdoor seating area that looked nice.

I travel quite a bit and considering the single room rate including breakfast was £80, the hotel offered exceptional value for money. The cost of food and beverage was also reasonable.

I enjoyed the clean modern finish of this hotel and would certainly return again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Fordy105
mbryant82, General Manager at The Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for leaving such a great review. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us and will ensure this great feedback is passed onto the rest of the team.

We all very much look forward to welcoming you back ion the near future.

Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We have spent years visiting Norfolk and since our usual cottage was booked we decided to stay here because they allow dogs and we hadn't been in since it's refurbishment.

The hotel itself is amazingly well done, it's a lovely looking place and the breakfast were amazing. We arrived and where greeted by a friendly, bubbly lady who greeted us and the dog and checked us in. The room was beautiful, real, fresh milk in the fridge and great tea and coffee making facilities. Our room had a shower for the dog (I presume) instead of a bath which was all lovely and well finished. The dog rooms are situated at the back of the hotel with a door straight outside on our corridor for quick access and a dog waste bin. There is also a small wood behind and field which i took him in the morning before breakfast. All very lovely.

The down side to this place is even though they say they are dog friendly, what it would appear they mean is 'will tolerate your dog as long as you use the back exit once you've checked in and don't bring the dog anywhere near the dining area. Now this may seem silly to some but if a hotel excepts dogs and has dog friendly rooms then surely you should be able to have your dog under the table while you dine? At breakfast we had to leave him in the car or room and quickly eat after being informed we couldn't bring him in with us. Norfolk is known for people bringing their dogs and nearly every restaurant excepts dogs for every meal in their restaurants, if not they have an area for dog friendly dining as well as non dog friendly. This place needs to choose which one they want to be because it seems incredibly stupid that they want you to leave your dog in your room while you eat breakfast for what, the maid to come in and find a dog protecting it's new room? Think about it.. Not a good idea! Even The Hoste and The Victoria except dogs in their dining areas and you're not telling me this place is more high class then those! I made the mistake of walking down to the reception with my dog half way through the trip and a brunette lady on the counter looked like a was dragging a dead body through her halls!

I wish i could remember this ladies name because she needed some serious people skills. She took our order for breakfast one morning and was very short and sharp. A smile costs nothing my dear! This lady really did let the rest of the staff down because everybody else i came into contact with were friendly, helpful and happy, i couldn't compliment them enough!

Overall we had an enjoyable stay after we stayed out of the way of the front counter with the dog and used the back entrance, everything else about the hotel was lovely but i wouldn't go back. I certainly wouldn't recommended the place if you're taking your dog with you either!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank xxsxiemzxx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kelling
The Dales Country House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Burnham Market
The Lawns Hotel
The Lawns Hotel
#2 of 3 in Holt

Been to The Pheasant Hotel? Share your experiences!