“Great setting shame about the food”
Review of The Pheasant Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Pheasant Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kelling
buckinghamshire
“Great setting shame about the food”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The first sight of this hotel looks good, great country side , beautiful garden and so well maintained. The room was good and we were allowed to have our dog with us! The dining was very poor ! Picture a Saturday night when a restaurant has taken on more than it can handle! 35 minutes late to table .... Starters arrived within 2 minutes of sitting down followed by the bread rolls which no one could track down! The main course arrived some 50 minutes later! By then there were a lot of grumbles from the guest! The menu sounds far more interesting than it taste! If this hotel could keep the chef in the kitchen and stop him wandering in and out to the garden to chat to the guest..... Save it till after you have served every one! And if just once some one had taken charge of the dining room and just said sorry and not relied on the young waiters who were also embarrassed about the service things could have been put right! Once again I would say to people stay here but do not do the evening meal package !

Room Tip: We had a dog friendly room near the back car park and there was no noise and a very comfortable roo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dora4
ThePheasantNR257EG, Owner at The Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. The service on this Saturday night was not as I would have expected at The Pheasant. Discussions on this have taken place with changes already implemented to prevent a recurrence. I apologise for the dining experience you received on that evening which has tainted what appears to have been a good impression of the hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

my wife and stayed here for three nights having chosen it as a base to explore North Norfolk. As you turn into the grounds of the hotel from the main road it looks very impressive, a large two storey country manor. It bodes well, but looks can be deceiving. At reception we were met with a friendly smile by Corrine and she registered us with efficiency. We had booked a deluxe double bedroom at £136 per night B&B having opted for a quiet room. At that price there were only ground floor rooms at the rear of the hotel. There was the option to book one of the first floor rooms at an extra £30 per night but quite frankly they are not worth the extra. The surprise came. at least for me, is that a ground floor room is not in the two storey building itself but what looks like a single floor annex to the side, with a long corridor down the middle.
One of the things that is immediately apparent, especially on a warm day is that the hotel is very warm.
The room itself, despite its deluxe tag is standard. We found it adequate rather than spacious, but the bed is a good size - looked like two single beds joined together to make massive double. The bed linen was spotless, high quality fabrics being used, and the pillows were excellent, amongst the best I have ever had being neither too soft nor too hard. The mattress was also in excellent condition, and I was looking forward to a good night's sleep. So why did I not manage one decent night's sleep there. Simple, no ventilation! The room blurb would have you believe it is designed for air flow taking in the warm air from the bathroom to refresh the bedroom with fresh air. This is utter rubbish and in the hotel really lets itself down by having no air conditioning in the rooms, nor indeed anywhere. Being on the ground floor leaving the windows open at night poses a security risk so we were left having to swelter through the night. You would think that if they were not going to include air conditioning then at least the windows would have had a little window in the middle so you could at least have it open through the night. We spoke to the manager at checkout and I know he is considering what to do about ventilation. Otherwise the rooms were quiet and comfortable, except in the morning. We city working folk who get up at the crack of dawn like a little lie in when on our vacs, you know, nothing too indulgent, but say until 9.00am. And we would have had it a this hotel were it not for the clientele. No, its not what you think, no yobs or young louts here, it is more the mature clients, those who may be described as senior citizens who think it is ok to shout greetings to each other very early in the morning:)
The room furnishings were on the ok side rather than deluxe, consisting of two wing-back cloth chairs a small wobbly circular table and the usual built in table and chair. There was a modern LCD TV showing Freeview channels and it is fine. There was also a small fridge and we found a bottle of fresh milk in it for tea and coffee making. This was a nice touch.
The bathroom was small, not really enough room for two people, but good fittings, especially the shower in the bath which had digital temperature controls and powerful. The towels were of excellent quality, and looked new. The toiletries were ok, the shower gels were not replaced after the first day and we asked for replacements - shouldn't really need to but no big deal.
The wifi was easy to connect to and recpetion was good, except from the gardens where it degraded. The speed was acceptable, not slow at all.
The hotel has a restaurant and I have to say the food was of very good quality, especially the pork belly in mustard sauce and the sirloin steaks. The cutlery and crockery were of excellent quality and linen tableware was also excellent. We ate in the restaurant on two consecutive nights as the quality was very good. What let the restaurant down were two things. Firstly, ventilation, or lack of. Again no air conditioning and with the restaurant full and all the windows closed, it was very warm and sticky, We asked our waiter if we could have one of the doors open and he was prepared to do it but was overruled by the head waiter citing as his reason that he was worried that flies would come into the restaurant. There might have been one or two flies but nothing to worry about and certainly a minor concern compared to feeling uncomfortable with the warmth in the hotel Eventually a sensible manager came along and acquiesced to our request to open the door. The second mildly annoying thing was the service, which varied between excellent and adequate. At times it was spot on, but often the timing would be off, such as when the bread rolls came to the table, or when water came to the table. In a very good restaurant this happens automatically and water gets topped up so it was irritating to have to catch the waiter's eye. That said they were always quick to respond to any request we had so they redeemed themselves in that way.
The hotel price included breakfast, and the cooked breakfast selection is excellent. My wife especially liked the smoked kippers, But it does let itself down, as if you dont have a fry up then the choice is just cereals, or toast and jams. There are no croissants, hams, cheeses as alternates. There was a massive help yourself fruit salad, but I prefer fresh fruit. To be fare they provided it on request, and this is where the hotel and restaurant score highly for me, very keen to serve you, We got a fresh bowl of fruit consisting of strawberries, blueberries and grapes, much to the envy of other guests I suspect. By the way they now know how to make a mochito, as when we had ordered them they did not know how, They mixed a really good one so would recommend it. Those of you who have read my other reviews I would normally say something about the diet coke, but cannot do it here as they do not stock diet drinks in the bar at this hotel. Hmm!
North Norfolk is supposed to have wonderful tea rooms in the coastal towns but we did not find any , instead we chose afternoon tea in the gardens of the hotel and it was excellent. The finger sandwiches were tasty, the cakes delicious, and the warm scones with jam and clotted cream a little decadent but great tasting. All served with a smile and on fine bone china by Letitia.
Overall the experience was very positive and it really could get 4.5 marks from me, with a few improvements. Would I go back there again, well not now, but if the manager tells me in a few years time he has addressed the ventilation issue then maybe.

Room Tip: there is no ventilation so if you like an airy room dont sleep on the ground floor unless you are ha...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Phitos P
ThePheasantNR257EG, Owner at The Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for the review of your visit to the Hotel. A very comprehensive and balanced piece. It is appreciated. It was a pleasure to meet you both, prior to departure, to discuss some of the points you raised.
London , UK
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed just one night on a bbd basis in mid June of this year.The hotel is in an excellent location for touring north Norfolk and is set in quiet grounds with plenty of parking spaces. The rooms were very comfortable and well equipped.
The dining experience was interesting, the bar was quite full for pre dinner drinks and it was clear thet a number of diners had been waiting for some time, The menu was very nicely balanced and used local produce, the dining room nice and airy with well spaced out tables., it transpired that one of the chefs had gone missing and that had caused the delays in service. We did seem only marginally affected and great credit to the chef who clearly was sending out well cooked food in trying circumstances. The dining room service was somewhat chaotic no doubt caused by the difficulties in the kitchen, however the dining room staff with some help from reception all tried very hard to please. We enjoyed the food served and the wine was reasonably priced for the quality offered .
Breakfast the following day was very good and timely. Overall we enjoyed our one night stay and feel that under normal circumstances the restaurant would provide a very enjoyable dining experience. We swould stay again.

mbryant82, Owner at The Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to present this detailed balanced review. I was aware that that our service was not at our best on the evening you dined and for that I apologise. It has been discussed among our staff as to how best we overcome any issue we may have so that you as the guest are unaffected. In this case we did not succeed. However I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and I note that you would stay again. I hope this be for more than one night and in the not too distant future.
Stalham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I've just got back from a weekend at The Pheasant which has to be the most amazing Hotel in North Norfolk. The recent refurbishment, the fantastic staff, excellent food and the most comfortable night's sleep in ages makes this a 'must go back again' hotel. Of course, going with a group of greatv friends also helped.
Highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Russell H
mbryant82, Owner at The Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I like the phrase “must go back again” hotel as it captures our underlying aim to delight our guests, for them to have an enjoyable stay and to leave wanting to return.
norfolk
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Went with my husband today for lunch, can't comment on the food as we left as we were so appalled at the lack of customer service, we went into,the bar area and sat down at a dirty table, we had been sat there for at least 10/15 minutes before one of the two staff came over to ask us if we would like anything, we then asked for a drink each and a bar menu, after waiting for a further 10/15 minutes we still had no drinks and no menu so I looked across to,the bar to see if I could attract anybody's attention only to see the staff member standing at the bar chatting away to another customer, he clearly was in no hurry to serve us, perhaps they are too busy that they don't need the buisness! I might just add that the bar and restaurant were almost empty so they can't even use the excuse that they were rushed off their feet, at this point we left, there are far more welcoming places to eat on the norfolk coast than here, needless to say we won't be back.

6 Thank lorraine b
mbryant82, Owner at The Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your review and feedback. I am sorry that due to lack of service by us that you were not able to stay and enjoy a lunch. I understand and share your frustration at the lack of attention and that you have not been looked after in a way that would be a reasonable expectation. I have shared your review with our Staff and they are as embarrassed as I am. I would assure you that your comments have been listened to.
Holt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The refurbished hotel has been well done, but does lack that certain something with regards
to atmosphere and cosiness. Nice restaurant but they need to improve the menu there are so many good eating places within a few miles. Nothing you could really say was interesting on the menu. I had belly of pork, not good! If they cant do it better than that it should not be on the menu.
The service was good and a reasonable wine list. I would say its a great place to stay for a break
but at the moment not to go out for a evening meal. For the time being we will stick to the local pub. I only rate it average because of the menu, otherwise nice.

2 Thank richard g
mbryant82, Owner at The Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Firstly, thank you for your review. We will be introducing a revised menu by mid July which I hope will encourage you to return for a further visit. We do wish The Pheasant to be a destination for an evening meal.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We had two nights at this hotel I was surprised with the quality of the refurbishment and the high standard given to detail of the fixtures and fittings. Two members of staff were exceptionally helpful, Jenny on Reception and Sonia, our breakfast waitress. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The cooked English breakfast was lukewarm and very greasy. The evening dining menu was not to our taste and felt that there could have been more choice for people who prefer not to have butter or cream within their food either by choice or for dietary reasons. My reason for giving this hotel an average rating is mainly due to the restaurant. The sample menu given in the hotel book placed in the bedrooms is very misleading and feel that this should either be removed completely or replaced daily with the dining menu for that evening.

Room Tip: Some rooms face high grass bank. Check before booking in.
3 Thank colin h
mbryant82, Owner at The Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your review which I have now read three times. Your comments are invaluable as we discuss these with all the Staff at The Pheasant. We are always looking to improve how we look after our Guests and where we fall short to ensure there is no repetition.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kelling
Beechwood Hotel
The Hoste
#1 of 2 in Burnham Market
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,261 reviews
The Dales Country House Hotel

Been to The Pheasant Hotel? Share your experiences!