“Functional and efficient, but not the place to stay to experience Paris at its best”

Mercure Paris La Defense
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Courbevoie
Reviewed 12 April 2011

This hotel is fine if you are doing business in the La Defense area, and is certainly a credit to the Mercure chain in terms of customer service and efficiency. The buffet breakfast, which was incuded in our weekend rate, was truly excellent and the shuttle bus service to the nearest metro/RER station ran throughout the day until late. However, as previous reviewers have commentated, it is not in the most salubrious part of Paris, and you would not want to walk around the area on your own after dark, and I would not advise any woman to do so. We were travelling by car and used the hotel car park, which turned out to be a fortified cage within a communal multi-storey cark park attached to the adjoining shopping mall. This is an experience to be avoided if at all possible! Although security within the hotel itself was fine (the room had a safe large enough to accommodate a laptop and my handbag), clearly security is a major issue in this area. The car park was very difficult to negotiate and would have been impossible with much luggage due to an elaborate access system , a tiny lift and many stairs. Had I arrived alone there at night, I would have found the experience extremely scary and would not want to repeat it anyway.

This isn't the Paris I know and love, so if you have the choice opt for somewhere more central even if it does not a bit more.

Room Tip: Avoid the car park.
1  Thank AJC32

Reviewed 4 April 2011

Small rooms, few power outlets, high prices. My rate was supposed to include breakfast, but I had to argue and bring evidence (printed documents) to prove it in the morning. All in all, this is pretty good for Paris, other than it's not convenient to anything in Paris. Good for business in La Defense.

2  Thank n2caves
Reviewed 3 April 2011

On my previous trips to Paris I've been let down by hotel offerings. They've always been substandard, even when I thought I was getting mid-range accomodation. I was hopeful that my budget tour company would choose a good hotel and it did! The hotel's rooms are spacious and comfortable (as other Mercure hotels seem to be), the breakfast room/offerings are very nice, and the location is great. Not only is it steps away from the RER which easily connects to the Metro, there are some shops close by which make picking up essentials very easy. This is clearly a business hotel (meeting facilities, clientele I observed) but is appropriate for tourists given its comforts, location, and overall quality. While I might spend more money to stay in the center of Paris in future trips, I would certainly consider the Mercure and even this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank lanakoala
Reviewed 12 March 2011

Check in was fast but apart from that the hotel was not worth the money. The room did not seem clean at all, especially bath, first night we could not sleep as it was so cold in the room. Next day we went to complain to reception they sent us technician straight away, but he could only bring heater. Next night was ok. Breakfast in this expensive hotel is not included in charge and cost another 17 euros!!! I was really disappointed..

2  Thank Bratislaava
Reviewed 10 March 2011

My husband and me were guesst of this hotel and our room was robbed while weI went for a walk. My bag was locked with a padlock, but the robber levered the ziper. Our loss were $3500, and we heard from the manager: "I'm sorry".....
This hotel don't have security. Another guests from my group had the room invaved.
My trip became a nightmare!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank alctoniolo
Reviewed 7 March 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights when I was working in La Defense. Even by La Defense standards, the location is a little far-out. Its a good 10 mins walk from the metro / RER - fine in the mornings but it feels a little exposed when walking back alone late at night. However, being next door to the shops and restaurants of Courbevoie centre is a plus once you actually get there. Its very handy having a supermarket in the shopping centre next door.
The room I stayed in was clean (apart from a few missed bits in the bathroom) and functional. The bathroom was very small and the shower pretty feeble....it took longer than usual to shower because the water lacked pressure and constantly alternated between hot and cold. Rather irritating. The bed was quite comfy (although the mattress felt rather on the cheap side). It was great to have a kettle in the room and be able to make a coffee/tea in the morning.
I got a deal with breakfast included. There was no extra charge to have room service breakfast. Although this was just continental breakfast, the contents seemed to vary each day depending on how busy the hotel was....some days they forgot the fruit juice and some of the pastries were missing compared to the previous day. Don't bother with the organic "bio" breakfast or you will be hungry all day as the portions are tiny.
The heating was broken in my room. It was so cold that I had to buy a sweater and slippers to wear.
I was also unhappy with the fitness room. It only had 4 pieces of equipment (3 cardio, I multi-gym) and when I arrived at 6.30am, everything was in use and there was no room to do anything while waiting. Hardly surprising when there are over 500 rooms - so only 4 pieces of equipment??!! For some reason, the other guests also seemed to be exercising in almost darkness. It was pretty annoying to get up at 6am to exercise and then not be able to.
However, the best bit of this hotel was the free wifi. You have to ask for instructions at reception but its simple to set up and use. There was also a good selection of TV channels (including BBC 1 and BBC2) for a budget business hotel
Overall this is a good budget hotel if you're working in the east side of La Defense. Its clearly aimed at the cost-conscious budget traveller. I would use it again as it is handy for my office but I will take plenty of warm clothes with me!

2  Thank bibbju
Reviewed 5 February 2011

If you are a business traveller, this hotel is for you. It offers a straight forward accommodation with no problems. Very well located for business in La Defense. Lots of restaurants nearby, but I'm still looking to find one of a high standard. If you are a tourist, I would suggest for the price you could get something with more Parisian character elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jamie_Cartwright
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courbevoie
Melia Paris La Defense
Pullman Paris La Defense
#1 of 41 in La Defense
Fraser Suites Harmonie Paris La Defense
Mercure Paris La Defense Grande Arche Hotel

Been to Mercure Paris La Defense? Share your experiences!