“Typical economy French business hotel”

ibis Styles Paris Val de Fontenay
Grantham, United Kingdom
“Typical economy French business hotel”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I have stayed in many similar hotels to the Ibis Style and I got pretty much what I expected. In my opinion, given it's situation in a Paris suburb I'd say my room was appropriately priced at about £90 per night including breakfast. The decor in the hotel is pretty funky, with lots of vibrant (and I mean VIBRANT) colours. The room was functional with comfortable bed, modern bathroom, small desk, open wardrobe and TV. No English language satellite channels, just French, with even the US shows dubbed into French. I didn't use the restaurant in the evening, but it looked pleasant enough. I took a walk out of the hotel, turned left, over the next roundabout then hung a left and walked down into the centre of Fontenay where there were several restaurants that looked quite nice. I had eaten earlier at the airport to kill time and I get bored with eating alone when travelling so I just picked up a roll in the local supermarket which was well stocked with all sorts of goodies.
I did eat breakfast at the hotel, which was ok, limited choice of everything but nice enough as far as continental breakfasts go. Unlike previous reviewers I didn't notice anything was running out and not topped up. To be honest it was exactly how expected it be so was satisfied.
Check in and check out was simple, in both cases the receptionists both happily spoke to me in good English and were polite and smiley, which was nice.
Sorry this is an unremarkable review, but the hotel was as I expected and I would use it again if I was working in the vicinity. The decor isn't really to my taste but I know what this chain is like and it was no big deal. I slept well and it was good value for money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank lizandtone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times on business.
It is cheap (to Paris standards) but clean and okay for a couple nights. The rooms are very small but very colourful with large pictures of more exotic locations on the back wall over the beds. The breakfast is included with tasty pastries and a limited selection of other foods. There is also a restaurant that opens at 7pm which I hear is okay for hotel food but I have not tried this yet. The location of the hotel is not the best but their are a couple of good restaurants in walking distance (10 mins walk) and the train to Paris is circa 25 minutes. There is free parking in the underground garage next door - but beware there is a lot of glass on the floor by the cars suggesting breakings (not my rental yet!) plus a live in tramp who like his lemonade!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Thomas F
Aberdeen
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We had a "family suite" (two connected double rooms) for seven nights in August 2013.

We booked this hotel as it was significantly cheaper than those in town, but provided good access to the centre via the RER station literally two minutes up the road.

We found the hotel very clean, and all the staff were helpful and polite. The two rooms were small, it is true, but we managed perfectly well. There was one small open wardrobe in each room, but no drawers for your...drawers, so to speak.There was a flat-screen TV with iPod connection etc.

One of our rooms had a shower over bath, the other just a shower unit. The bathroom had a hairdryer and soap/shampoo/shower gel dispensers.

The air-conditioning worked very well, and while a little noisy, it was at least a constant drone that shouldn't upset anyone's sleep.

Breakfast was basic but perfectly adequate; we did notice the provisions being topped up during service, but to be fair to the staff it could be difficult to keep up when a large party would arrive (this did seem to happen some mornings, but it didn't really inconvenience us). Bread, cheese, ham, pain-au-chocolat, croissants, yoghurts, jam/honey, cereals and a limited selection of fresh fruit were available. There was filter coffee, teabags+kettle as well as fruit juices (even an orange-squeezing machine!). The breakfast timing was excellent: 6-10, but 6-11 at weekends.

The hotel provides tea and coffee in reception for most of the day and evening, which was a nice touch. There seemed to be some sort of play area for young children too.

The free wi-fi was a bit hit-and-miss. I noticed it was much more reliable in the morning than in the evening - when presumably the problem was that too many people were trying to access at once. It did get quite frustrating.

I have noticed one or two negative comments about the area - it's just a shopping+business centre in a small suburb. The shopping centre is handy - it has a large supermarket, a small number of fast-food outlets and other shops of different kinds. We always felt perfectly safe, even arriving back at 11pm or so. The proximity of the RER and bus stations always meant there were plenty of people about. Note that the RER station is in Zone 3, so the standard Paris T+ tickets won't work. We opted for Zone 1-3 mobilis tickets most days, as these give unlimited travel within the bits of Paris we wanted to see.

The taxi fare from Orly Airport on a Monday night around 10pm was in the region of €45.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank BulbousSquidge
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights the weekend just gone. We were 2 adults and 2 children under 5. We booked a family connecting room (2 standard doubles with an inside door connecting the rooms) which was a good idea as the rooms were quite small so was good for the kids to run between both! The room was really quiet and we did not hear any noise from other guests.Te downside was that the hotel was SO hot!! We had to have a window open at night which meant hearing the traffic on the main road outside.

The breakfast was fine, pain au chocalate, croissants, french stick, cereal, juices, cheese, ham, oranges. We came down a little late on our last morning but the member of staff was happy to re-fill everyhting requested.

The station to catch the RER was a 2min walk up the road and Auchan supermarket and shopping centre is 3min walk the in the other direction. We caught the RER from CDG and also to and from Disneyland which was easy and quick enough.
The staff were really helpful when we asked about getting around and which train to catch etc.

Was overall a nice clean and comfy hotel with a giant firm bed!! Not a great deal going on in the local area from what we could see however, we didn't spend a great deal there.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Do not stay at this hotel. We stayed here this weekend. First weekend in march for the Paris half marathon. All was great until we arrived back to our room after the race, to find a wallet (purse) missing. Load of cash and cards. Hotel did nothing, just said "we don't have robbers in this hotel" and got very defenceive when we asked for the Police to be called. Wallet was hidden in the room as there is no safe. 2nd wallet was actually on display, but contained on €40 so it was left. Hotel did nothing to even look like they cared, so my advise is NEVER stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank niall_keating

Travellers are raving about these Fontenay-sous-Bois hotels

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We got a good deal on the hotel and weren't expecting anything brilliant. The staff were mostly quite helpful, although not overly accommodating when two people in our party wanted to change rooms due to loud air con and cigarrette smell. The continental breakfast was pretty average and not replenished when things like coffee, ham and cheese ran out so get there early to avoid disappointment! We stayed for three nights and when we returned each day there was a really unpleasant smell in reception...no other way to say it other than it was coming from the le toilettes!!

Room Tip: Check your room out before you unpack
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I stay in this hotel for 2 nights, 26/06/2012 - 27/06/2012 for a group tour.
It is a very comfortable hotel with a very good wifi connection!
I love this hotel as it very clean & the reception is very friendly.
Yet, the location is a little far from the Paris city.

Room Tip: there is no 24 hours convenience stre around~ remember to buy anything needed before into the dark n...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank MuelMuelYow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontenay-sous-Bois
Mercure Paris Val de Fontenay
Ibis Marne La Vallee Champs
Ibis Marne La Vallee Champs
#1 of 2 in Champs-sur-Marne
Novotel Marne La Vallee Collegien

Been to ibis Styles Paris Val de Fontenay? Share your experiences!