“Very Tired Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Les Ulis
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Very Tired Hotel”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed there on a business travel.

Hotel looks very tired.

Restaurant service take ages and food quality is very poor when they have items available.

Waiter always complaint that he is alone.

Breakfast was not great compare to the Mercure Velizy.

All in all, better stay a further 20 mins away.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Suzanne M, Directeur général at Mercure Paris Sud Les Ulis, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for your feedback, posted recently about your stay at our hotel, the Mercure Paris Sud Les Ulis.

We truly regret that your experience in our hotel wasn't as you expected and be assured that your message has been given to our FB Manager and our Chef in order to take corrective actions.

Your comments are very important for us, because they help us in order to improve our service. Please don't hesitate, to send me directly to my e-mail: antoine.caffarena@accor.com some more details, in order to understand better what actually happened.

I hope that you will give us a second opportunity, we will do all we can to make your next exceptional.

Antoine Caffarena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights as i was on a trip to disneyland Paris. It had to be the cheapest and old fashioned place i have ever stayed it. It was one weekend we arrived late at night as our coach had broken down so we were 5 hours later than we should have. We got to the hotel and we were all starving. There was no food available at the hotel at this time the staff had gone home, we had rung the hotel so they were aware of of late arrival and we asked for something to be prepared or something for a coach of nearly 30 people it was too late to go out and find anything. The hotel is in quite a rough area so we didn't want to leave unless we really had to. Our room was on the ground floor it was clean had our own bathroom so we were ok but it didn't feel very safe. I opened the window to try let some cooler air in as the room was very warm but as were were on the bottom floor out room looked onto a small grassy garden surrounded by bushed with a main road behind. The window was only just above waist hight so outside so someone could have easily climbed in. I wasn't happy with this room and there were no others available to swap. The staff didn't really speak much English either who we spoke to so also made things difficult.
You get what you pay for, but in this case we didn't know anything about this hotel where it was or the price so it was rather a shock

Room Tip: Anything above ground floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Grace0035
Suzanne M, Directeur général at Mercure Paris Sud Les Ulis, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for having taking the time to leave us a comment about your stay in our hotel the Mercure Paris Sud Les Ulis.

We truly regret that your stay at our hotel in October 2013 wasn't convenient for you. It is not easy for us to give you an answer more than 7 months after your lodge in our hotel.

We can assure that we don't have problems with safety and security in our establishment.

Concerning for the food not available, our restaurant is closed from Friday evening until Sunday mid day. When open in the evening it closes at 23h. We don't know exactly at what time you arrived and if it was during the week or the week-end. Since November 2013, we have food boutique in hall with snacking opened 24 hours a day.

I hope that you will give a new opportunity and that we will have the chance to welcome you back again at our hotel.

Travellers are raving about these Les Ulis hotels

Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed 4 nights in this hotel. The hotel is good, rooms are clean! We had dinner at the hotel restaurant a few times; I have no complaints! Breakfast is frugal for a 4-star hotel and expensive (17.90 EUR).
It was April and the swimming pool (outdoor) was closed. But this is understandable! Except for the swimming pool, there is no other entertainment in the hotel (eg. gym, spa). The hotel is lockated in industrial-business area. So, there is nothing interesting to see. But there is a lot of places to eat (different prices) in a walking distance of 15-20 min from the hotel. The cleaning service is great. I cannot say the same about reception. Some staff (not everybody) at the reception was not helpful at all. Their usual answer to questions regarding hotel was "Sorry, we cannot help you". It is disappointing.
But overall our stay was good!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Suzanne M, Directeur général at Mercure Paris Sud Les Ulis, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor after your recent stay in our hotel the Mercure Paris Sud Les Ulis.

We are very glad to see, that appreciated our hotel and that you had an overall good stay with us. We will transmit to the House-Keeper that you found the "cleaning" service great.

Concerning some members of the Front-Office team, we will communicate your message to the Reception Manager.

I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back again at our hotel, don't hesitate to contact us directly for your next booking.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Hotel Mercure in Paris sud Les Ulis was soooooo nice, a little old fashioned but the service was great, the rooms were clean, the food in the restaurant very good, the staff at the front desk exceptionally great!

Room Tip: Didn't have a chance to use the spa, or the pool, but since we needed an accessible room we got...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Suzanne M, Directeur général at Mercure Paris Sud Les Ulis, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor after your recent stay in our hotel the Mercure Paris Sud Les Ulis Courtaboeuf.

We are very gladto see that you had a great over all experience in our hotel. We will transmit you great review to the team, they will be happy to know that all our efforts have paid.

I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back to our hotel, please don't hesitate to contact us directly, it will be a pleasure for us to assist with your boking.

Athens, Greece
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed for 5 nights in February 2014 on business. My company has a special agreement so I got a Privilege room.
THE PROs._
Location => Quite close to the company's site (15+ mins walk).
Privilege room => Large, quiet room on the 3rd floor. 32" HD TV. Free WiFi. Complimentary refreshments (mineral water, soft drinks) & tea/coffee (incl Nespresso)/biscuits renewed every day. Comfortable bed, nice linen. Complimentary bathrobe/slippers. Large safe.
Service => Courteous & efficient service from the ladies employees.
THE CONs._
Prices => A Privilege room is certainly a good package, but I still found it too expensive for a location like Les Ulis, especially because breakfast was not included in the price.
Breakfast => The breakfast buffet was of good quality, but nothing really special and of limited variety, so €17,90 is rather expensive. One morning I saw a breakfast buffet employee serve a cappuccino coffee holding it with the hand palm over the cup - certainly not hygienic. Moreover, nobody was asking for your room number, so when I checked-out they initially told me I had had 4 breakfasts, when I only had 2.

THE COMPLAINT: I had a 09:50 flight at Roissy (60km away) so I had reserved a taxi for 6.30am to get me to the nearest train station to get RER to the airport (1,5h overall trip duration). I checked out at 6.15am but their credit card system kept rejecting my corporate AMEX card. I called AMEX help desk and they reassured me that no transaction attempt was made, however the hotel employee kept saying that their system worked fine and told me among other things "that the maintenance of the system is not their responsibility" (I am fluent in French so there was no misunderstanding). At the end, he suggested I tried an ATM to withdraw cash which I tried, but my corporate card's limit was way lower than the hotel bill so that did not help either. When I came back to the hotel (I had to take a taxi to go to the nearest ATM), it was 7am and two reception employees were there with another client whose three different cards were denied too!. The lady receptionist promptly suggested keeping our credit card details so that they would charge us once their system was up and running. Same happened to the third client that checked out a few minutes later.

I ended up leaving the hotel 50 mins after I planned to and had to rush to every airport checkpoint (luggage check in, security control) all stressed out, and cut all queues so as to not miss my flight. Plus I paid €24 to the taxi that was waiting to take me to the airport but instead I used to go to the ATM and back to the hotel.

I understand that technical problems happen, but I expected a much better handling from a hotel like Mercure, and in particular Mercure Les Ulis; I work for a huge, multi-national company whose employees stay at this hotel all the time, so the company regularly contributes to the hotel's revenue. Moreover I had reserved the room via a major travel agency and had given my credit card details as a guarantee. It would have been easy for them to claim their payment. If the first employee that did my check-out had handled the issue in the way that his colleague later did, I would have only good things to say. Instead I almost missed my flight and paid a €24 taxi-ride I did not need.

Yes, this was an exceptional case, but it is in these cases that good service shines.

THE NOTE: In English, the espresso coffee is also called espresso, not "express". And when we address a man, we call him "Sir", not "Mister'.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Suzanne M, Responsable réception at Mercure Paris Sud Les Ulis, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Madam ,

First at all , we thank you for your comment about our hotel , it help us for the future to improve the service quality.
We apologize for the inconvenient you met during your stay , it was a national techincal problem.
We should have been more efficient at this point.
However , we hope to have the pleasure to see you another time in our hotel. In this case , don't hesitate to ask for the manager on duty, we insist to make your next stay a real VIP welcoming.
We stay at your disposal for any further information.

Best regards.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This place was definitely okay... the negative point to me is the price. 165 EUR a night for a place in an industrial zone an hour's drive from central Paris? Fine, but I'd expect a lot more for that price...

Good stuff:
- Audrey. She works at reception. She is super friendly and helpful and genuinely awesome in every way.
- The food. Breakfast is crazy expensive (18 EUR), and standard breakfast buffet that you'd find in Canada or the US. But dinner! More reasonably priced and delicious!!! There are different specials each night. My recommendation is to stick to ordering the specials as much as possible.
- Wi-fi--best wi-fi strength that I've had at any hotel ever.
- Room size. Compared with central Paris, where space is limited, I felt like a Queen here. It's the size of a typical North American hotel room.

The Bad Stuff:
- Price. 165 EUR and you have to spend an extra 18 EUR for breakfast?!
- The bed. If you like hard mattresses, you could actually like this bed. I like hard mattresses. To me this felt like I was sleeping on plywood. I don't like sleeping on plywood.
- Room service. I left the "do not disturb" sign up every day as I don't care to have my bed made and towels straightened for me everyday. They disregarded this every single day.
- Service in the restaurant. I found most of the evening staff a bit rude. They also did not appear to be familiar with the menu.
- Room smell. Cigarettes and smoke from the fireplace. I love the smell of burning wood... at a cottage. However, like many folks staying at this hotel, I was there for business... it was very strange for me to go to meetings smelling like campfire! :)
- Room decor. The decor to me looked like what one would expect to find at a roadside motel. Not a big deal... just not what you expect for 165EUR a night. I also really can't get over the ashtray full of candies in each room. :-/

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Suzanne M, Responsable réception at Mercure Paris Sud Les Ulis, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Madam,
We first would like to thank you to have taken some time for your comments regarding your stay in our hotel they will help us for the futur and this is highly appreciated by all managers to reach the quality require by the brand Mercure . Thank you again for your comments.
kind regards
Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Warm, quiet, clean , comfortable with good service. I've stayed here a couple of times on business but not sure I would stay again Don't expect any frills.like a gym, spa etc. Staff very friendly and helpful.. Located on a business park and there doesn't seem to be anywhere close by to eat, drink etc. Sorry Mercure but just telling it like it is.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Suzanne M, Responsable réception at Mercure Paris Sud Les Ulis, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear,
We first would like to thank you to have taken some time for your comments regarding your stay in our hotel, this is highly appreciated by all the staff. Thank you again .
kind regards
#1 of 4 in Saulx-les-Chartreux
Kyriad Les Ulis
Kyriad Les Ulis
#4 of 6 in Les Ulis

Been to Mercure Paris Sud Les Ulis? Share your experiences!