“You'd better find something else”

Mercure Paris La Defense Grande Arche Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Nanterre
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Plus: 20 meters from RER station.
Minuses:
Service: 1) we arrived at 3 pm and my room was not ready, had to wait 30 minutes. 2) refused to give us rooms on higher floors as they were fully booked. I am not sure it was true because only next day a lot of new guests arrived, so they could at least give me one night of better sleep out of two I booked 3) did not allow us to sit in a large hall of the restaurant for breakfast, proposed to sit at small tables in a narrow corridor near the bufet; next day they allowed just arrived guests (a large group of them) to sit in a large hall. Tables were not cleaned and served after the previous guests, we had to clean them by ourselves. 4) I asked for an iron, they said they would not bring it to my room and I needed to go to reception by myself to get it. Quite weird behaviour for the staff of a **** hotel.
Rooms: 1) noisy due to RER under the building; 2) very strange design on the room: small bathroom, toilet on the opposite side of the room. 3) No iron and an iron desk in the room. Recentionists suggested ME to take an iron desk to my room.
Internet: dropped off too often, had to relogin all the time, very annoying.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors, otherwise you will hear and feel RER trains from 5 am till 1 am
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Mercure t, Directeur général at Mercure Paris La Defense Grande Arche Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to leave a few comments regarding your stay at the Hotel Mercure Residence Defense Park.

We find that it does not fully give you satisfaction, we apologize.

We have taken note of your comments. Quality is our center of interest on a daily base and we are already working on your comments to fix it.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at the Hotel Mercure Residence Defense Park.

Regards

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights while having to conduct business in Poissy. The hotel is literally on top of the Nanterre-Perfecture underground train station. From there frequent trains depart towards Paris and Poissy. Dowside of this is that the hotel is shaking on its grounds each time a train passes underneath it. You notice it when standing at the reception and from reading the reviews here on tripadvisor, I asked for a room on a higher floor to not have this same experience in my room. I eventually got a room on the 7th floor which indeed didn't have much of the noise from the trains.

It was actually an upgraded room with free minibar, separate toilet and shower and a nice spacy room. Room was nicely clean and the internet connection was quite good. The television didn't offer many TV channels, but I guess all the basic stuff was there. The minibar was stocked with about 4 drinks which were free but would not get restocked, no matter how long you would stay there. Tea/coffee and a hot water kettle were also available.

The hotel didn't offer any facilities like a gym, sauna or swimming pool which was a pity. They only have two elevators of which one broke down, but surprisingly that still didn't lead to too long waiting times at the elevator.

Staff is friendly and helpful.

For businessman having to visit La Defense this is a good place to stay. For tourists wanting to visit the usual touristy stuff this is a less good place to stay as it is about a 20 minute train ride away from the city center, though its still doable. To Paris Du Nord it would take you about 45 minutes and you'll have to change trains once at Chatelet Les Halles. To the Les Quatre Temps shopping mall would probably take you about 10 to 15 minutes on foot (didn't try).

The reception staff recommended me to go eat at the Chinese place accross from the hotel and the Italian place right of the hotel. Both are okay, nothing very special, but decent and not too expense.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor. This might mean you will have to go for a more expensive room than...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

I have taken note of your suggestions for the gym. Actually the Gym is under construction and will be open in few days.

Every day, we are working on quality to improve it. I take all your remarks and suggestions, to work with my team on it.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel Mercure Paris Defense Parc

Reviewed 18 August 2013

checked in one building and then a walk across the marketplace to another building needing your card to swip and open entrance door. Room was not meeting the quality I expected for a €225 per night hotel. Not so clean, old bathroom and poorly lit. Stay somewhere else if you can.

Room Tip: Just expensive for what you get.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Andrew B

Dear Guets

I'm going to allow me to contact you on your email address so that we will be able to discuss about your stay.

Best Regards

Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located on top of the Nanterre-Prefecture train station so getting around is easy. We stayed in the 'apartment' style room in the other tower. The room smelled a bit, most likely from cigarette smoke. It is quite spacious, more than the usual Mercure. The sealing along the shower unfortunately leaks so water runs all the way to the floor.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Guest

Sorry that the service was not up to your expectations, and please accept our sincerest apologies.

Be assured that corrective measures are already implemented to ensure a level of quality that meets your expectations, and regain your confidence in a future stay.

In the meantime, please believe in expressing our best wishes.

Best regards

Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as part of a COSMOS TOUR. Positives: nice and clean, close to RER. Negatives: somewhat unfriendly staff, small beds but good size room, far from Major attractions, such as the Eiffel Tower. There is an open market outside the hotel/ could be positive or negatice depending on how you feel about vendors

• Stayed: July 2013
Mercure t, Directeur général at Mercure Paris La Defense Grande Arche Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear Customer

We thank you for having chosen our hotel for your stay and for taking the time to write a positive review on Tripadvisor site.
My team and I are delighted that you enjoyed this one.

Hope to see you again at the Hotel & Residence Mercure Paris Defense Parc

Regards

C. de Giafferi

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Je voudrais remercier toute l'equipe, reception, resto et menage, pour ma visite au weekend 19 au 22 juillet. Service parfait avec des employes geniales.
A big thank you to the team at this hotel for my pleasant and comfortable stay at this ideally situated hotel.
I am a regular client with ACCOR, usually using IBIS/MERCURE/ADAGIO/Suitehotel. This probably my best Mercure experience in Paris/ Ile de France.
Situated as it is directly above RER Nanterre Prefecture station there is the occasional rumble of a train felt/heard on lower and ground floors, though not intrusive enough to disturb. I was in room 203, a corner room, which was slightly larger than my travelling companion in 201. (Rooms -03 configured similarly recommended)
Reported faults(Broken luggage rack) were sorted quickly. Room cleaning and housekeeping were faultless.
Being the week of the Tour De France Finale, the hotel was "COMPLET" Coach parties made logistics problems for the breakfast staff, mostly male and extremely efficient. The young guys, in smart black, quickly rerplenishing the buffet and instantly effecting the debarrassement des tables.
Reception were polite and helpful and on the Friday evening I arrived (with LEGER group), quickly dealt with any queries. Being a business district hotel and a weekend, the restaurant is not open Friday/Saturday evening. There are a few local restaurants accross the wide Boulevard opposite (Behind the hotel)
If arriving by RER take the CARRILLON exit which brings you out on to the piazza turn left and hotel is opposite. There is a very useful FRANPRIX supermarket, Cash machine, Pharmacie 50 metres from the hotel for those little things you forget.
Access to business district is via Bus 163, or RER (A) to La Defense Grande Arche or on into Paris, CdG Etoile (Champs Elysees) Auber/Opera, Chatelet Les Halles and out to Vincennes.
For a tourist take the 73 from La Defense to Musee D'Orsay which takes you down the Champs Elysees to Concorde and terminates by the Passarelle des Arts footbridge,
I would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hôtel Paris La Défense Parc . It is always a pleasure to receive feedback.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed here as part of a coach party. Service very good and staff very friendly/helpful. Room allocated was on 2nd floor and larger than I expected it to be. Everything was very clean and maid service every day. Breakfast was very good, though on occasions we had to ask for more water/milk, etc - the waitresses seemed to be better than the waiters at making sure breakfast area fully stocked as more guests came down to breakfast. The restaurant was shut, however, on the Friday/Saturday evenings and we would have used as arrived late on Friday. Restaurants/bars in the area seemed to shut at 9:00pm, but we did find a quirky Italian restaurant (left out of reception, straight across at the junction and on the left hand side) and the food was excellent.

People have said that they couldn't sleep because of the trains but we didn't find this to be a problem.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Customer

A big thank you for your comment. My team and I are delighted to read that you like our hotel.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel Mercure Paris Defense Parc Residence.

C Giafferi

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nanterre
Mercure Paris La Defense
Best Western Rives de Paris La Defense
citizenM Paris La Defense
citizenM Paris La Defense
#207 of 1,802 in Paris

Been to Mercure Paris La Defense Grande Arche Hotel? Share your experiences!