“Hugely overpriced and actually very disappointing”
Review of Jardin de Neuilly

Jardin de Neuilly
London, United Kingdom
“Hugely overpriced and actually very disappointing”
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I have never written one of these trip advisor things before but I have been left feeling so disappointed by the whole experience that I felt compelled to complain, or at least say something. We tried complaining at the time to the owner but it went nowhere.

Now, I must start by confessing that I didn’t book the trip. My partner had been searching for a nice quiet hotel in Paris for the weekend. At 167 euros a night, having seen the website, I thought were on to a winner. However once through the nice but small reception there was nothing more that this place offered.

I’ve stayed in all sorts of hotels across the globe and this was worse than a travel lodge back in the UK. The room, tiny as it was (they tend to be in Paris), had nothing. Just a bed – which was zipped together from two singles. The bathroom was nice but that was it… there wasn’t even a lift so I had to carry the luggage up three flights of narrow stairs.

Now although it was the weekend I still had to access the internet for work - and that proved a constant nightmare. I could barely log on, let alone get any real signal so had to sit by the reception desk to send any emails.

Once completed I thought it would be nice to take a glass of wine back up to the room however they had no red, only white and indeed it was only offered to me by the bottle.

By now we’re pretty frustrated and having been told we could upgrade from the so called ‘Deluxe’ room to another room, having got virtually nothing in the ‘deluxe’ room I certainly wasn’t going to risk paying for anything else there.

There tends to be one member of staff working at any one pint and while they are very helpful in terms of ordering cabs, this place, needs to really think about what they claim to offer compared to what the actual reality is.

One of the most disappointing places I have ever stayed in - anywhere.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TobyGregory

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2010

We stayed at the hotel this month and were extremely disappointed. The website pictures do not show all the rooms! We had booked the Deluxe room having seen how wonderful the rooms looked on the website. Nothing was delux about it but the price. To be fair the reception is swanky and as the pictures suggest. We were given Our room key, we left the main building and went to the granny annex building out the back, musty smelling rickety staircase - no lift for heavy bags and no concierge to help, and when we got out our tiny attic 'deluxe' room it was small and dingy with a huge extractor fan over the door, very bad lighting with only small bedside lights and 2 light bulbs missing in the bathroom. There is no in room safe and no ironing board . The room shockingly had no wardrobe, just a small hanging rail as you enter the bathroom! I complained as I thought there had been a mistake with our room and the reception dismissed me saying that for a better room than this 'delux' room I would have to pay even more money. We declined this. There is nothing romantic or cute about these rooms, they are tiny overpriced and depressing. The main hotel building was nice,and the staff pleasant, but this didnt make up for the student-like accomodation we were put in. The service we received improved dramatically when the hotel found out my partner was a journalist. I dislike feeling deceived by their website pictures. Not recommended.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LJMQC
Sydney
Reviewed 7 July 2010

We travelled as a family of four and needed a hotel close to Neuilly as we were visiting family who lived near by. From the start to the end of our trip the hotel staff couldn't have been more helpful, friendly and accommodating. The service we were provided was outstanding. Our room was spacious, the bathroom was beautiful, the bed was a king size and comfortable enough for all four of us to sleep in! The area is quiet and close to the metro so all the tourist sights are easy to reach, whilst staying in a very pretty area of Paris with a village atmosphere. One of the best boutique hotels we have experienced - thank you all for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2010

This was my 4th stay in Paris inside the past 6mths, and my first at this hotel. With its billing as a luxury boutique hotel, and price to match, maybe my expectations were a little too high. My first gripe was the charge for the Wi-Fi, €15 for a week! well, as i explained i was only there for a night, "OK, we can do you a special rate of €10" (some deal eh!!), well it would have been a deal if it wasn't for the fact that i just couldn't get my laptop to connect up, the signal strength just wasn't strong enough - a real pain in the proverbial when you're away on a business trip and need to log on to work.
OK, onto the rooms, i was situated in what i can only term as the annex, to the rear and behind the main façade of the splendid building; my room was situated up 3flights of narrow stairs, fine for me, but wouldn't be for older or umm "larger, less mobile clientèle shall we say ;).

There is a nice little courtyard in a small leafy tranquil garden to sit out and relax in too.

The room was very small but hey-ho, its Paris, and I'm only a small chap anyhow, so it was fine. It was hot weather, 30c, so the air-con was a must, and i have to say this (bizarrely) was the most impressive feature of the stay, as this room had the most efficient and quiet AC i have ever experience - anywhere - period, left on over night in eco mode, so quiet didn't even know it was on! Bathroom was OK, dark, wall and floor tiles, and onto another gripe, no walk-in shower, it was a huge deep bath, but only with a hand-tap shower, the likes of which I haven't used since being a kid, this is a big minus point, and I don't know how many rooms are equipped like this, but a colleague of mine has also stayed here and he commented on the same. I did also have another annoyance with the bathroom too, it has a small maybe 6cm step into the room, and a trip hazard which caught me out a couple of times, oh and another annoyance, the hot was took forever to reach the room with it being ion the 3rd floor.
The bed was very very comfortable, one of the best mattress's ive ever slept on in any hotel anywhere, big plus. Sat/Cable TV limited English channels, but it was OK (CNN & BBC-world). It was a good nights sleep, with no disturbance, but you can just make out the traffic noise (even with the windows closed) from Ave Charles De Gaulle one block away. Breakfast was served (rather surprisingly) in what can only be described as the ground floor corridor, its not a dedicated restaurant or eating area, I thought this was disappointing. On arrival at this area no-body come to assist or explain what the system is, so its a free for all-help-yourself petit dejeuner; it was fairly busy when i went down for breakfast at 0745, but the orange juice had ruin out, cheese had run out, French bread had run out -OK the lady was running around doing what ever and eventually replenished but it was a case of having to go back up time and time again to find out if she had replenished what you were looking to eat -not impressed, and for me summed up a rather disappointing stay; do I expect too much at €175 a night?!! i don't think so. To sum up, there were plus points and minor negative points, a comfortable stay all the same, but there are zillions of good hotels in Paris, so I'm probably inclined to stay elsewhere for my next stay. Oh and just to finish, its a 2min walk to the Metro at Les Sablons (Ligne 1), ideal location, and lots of nice places to eat within a short walk; Friday mornings on the other side of CdG Ave at Place Du Marche they have a traditional French street market, which was great, opened about 0900, definitely worth a wander around to marvel at the food stuffs!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank bojangles
London, UK
Reviewed 23 May 2010

Excellent hotel, on a quiet road, a short walk away from Les Sablons metro on line 1. Parking readily available on the road.

Hassan on the front desk was wonderful - he did so much for us, and made us feel very welcome.

The rooms are all very different - we had 3 deluxe rooms for one night. One room had just a bath (hand shower only), one had a separate loo & full bath/shower, and the final had the bathroom on a mezzanine floor. Each room was wonderfully decorated.

Three downsides that would get irritating for a longer stay:
1. The AC was small unit that didn't work very well.
2. Wifi was extra - E15 for 3 days
3. TV channels were few and French only

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank razlon
Geneva
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Stayed here for a weekend during a congress at the Palais des Congrès which is only a 5 minute walk from the hotel. The hotel was recently renovated. It has only 3 stars because it lacks certain facilities such as an in-room minibar. However, the room was big, especially for Paris, very tastefully decorated. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room so quiet we could have been staying in the country. Breakfast was excellent. Staff very friendly.
The hotel is a bit out of the way so if you're visiting Paris as a tourist you'll be having to take taxis or use the Metro which is a 5 minute walk away. However, it's probably worth it.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2009

It was my first stay at Le jardin de Neuilly and it was a very pleasant surprise. The main building has the classical exterior look of an upscale 19th Century building but the interior has been thoroughly renovated and decorated with a mix of antique and modern elements which is both elegant and comfortable. My room ( A deluxe room) was on the smallish style but very pleasant and very quiet. The desk is very small and the chair is not designed for extended use so be warned if you plan/need to work extensively in your room. The bathroom was large and nicely decorated including a beautiful bath tub but the setting is such taking a bath is much easier than taking a shower

The staff was friendly and provided a nice personalized service.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Neuilly-sur-Seine
Hotel Charlemagne
#1 of 8 in Neuilly-sur-Seine
Hotel Residence Foch
Hotel Residence Foch
#69 of 1,801 in Paris

Been to Jardin de Neuilly? Share your experiences!