“Budget hotel, clean, essential”

Campanile Paris Est - Pantin
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Pantin
Reviewed 3 September 2010

The hotel is far from Paris approx 20-25 mins by metro. The metro station is 50 metres from hotel entrance. Breakfast is essential, rooms very small but quite clean, bathroom is ok, reception and services are ok.
One of the few hotels (even belonging to 4 or 5 stars chains) where the wireless connection was really free and working.
Neiborough are not recommended although safe.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank giachig

Reviewed 24 May 2010

I wouldn't pick this hotel for a romantic break but it was fine for me as all I wanted was a base to explore from cheaply, I got a double deal at 42 euros a night and the Metro is on the doorstep. I would advise that Pantin is intimidating as an area and that you should be aware of this and act accordingly, I travel light and only carry one card and money, no laptops, cameras etc as I have a mobile that hooks up to the internet and has a good camera. The staff were fine, I found that making an effort to communicate in French pays off, rooms were kept clean and serviced, also found a great little restaurant about 5 minutes walk from the hotel, La Nouvelle Villette, 22 Rue Etienne Marcel, food was very good, extremely reasonably priced and again the owner made us very welcome, went back 2 evenings in a row, the 2nd night on paying the bill he treated us to a drink. All in all not the best area of Paris, keep your wits about you as is the case in any large city, however the Metro is great for getting around and a day pass for zones 1 & 2 was only 5.60 euros each making this a very cost effective base and the hotel did the job for us.

• Stayed: May 2010
1  Thank bas22
Reviewed 5 August 2009

This is a perfectly good, reasonable 2-star hotel - ideal as a base for sightseeing Paris. Family room was great - spacious with proper single beds for the kids (not a sofa bed!) Plenty of towels. Room cleaned daily - fresh towels, complementary tea, coffee, biscuits, toiletries. No problems connecting to WiFi. Very helpful staff on reception. Metro stop about 50m from hotel door. Shopping Mall right next door has a supermarket and a couple of bakeries - great for fresh croissants in the morning if not having hotel breakfast. Would recommend eating in the city centre before returning on metro to hotel as little restaurant choice nearby. Only negative point in the hotel is passing noise in corridors - room doors don't seem to insulate well against this - but we were so tired after our days out this had minimal impact. I would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank magsonail
Reviewed 18 June 2009

My husband and I were in Pantin for a conference, and the conference had us stay here.

The room was small and gross. We had to call down for towels, because none were in the room when we got there. There was no iron or hairdryer in the room, and we had to give 40 Euros as a deposit at the front desk to have use of them. The carpet gave me the creeps so much that I kept socks on my feet all the time. It was quite warm when we were there, and the air conditioning was not working, so we had to keep our one window open at night. The street outside the hotel was very noisy all night long. A couple times I heard people fighting outside. On our second night we were forced to hear some people having sex. How anyone could have sex in that place is beyond me!

The hotel claims to have free wireless internet, but the connection is so bad that it never worked. We were lucky that we had internet at our conference otherwise we would have been out of luck. The restaurant is only open for breakfast, which we had one morning. It was not worth 9 Euros a person

On a positive note, I have to give kudos to the staff here. They were very helpful and friendly. They spoke to us in English, and whenever we called down for towels or toilet paper (they have no kleenex in the rooms here) someone came up with them right away.

Let me just say that this was the second hotel that we went to in Pantin. The first hotel that we had been booked in was the Etap. My husband took one look at the room there, and told me that we were leaving. The choices in Pantin are very slim, and that also applies for restaurants, too. There is nowhere to eat here that is even remotely appetizing. After dark the streets get really seedy. I would not recommend going to Pantin unless you have to. If you are looking to save a few dollars by staying outside of Paris, don't do it. Pay the extra money and avoid Pantin. I’m sorry to sound so negative, but our stay in Pantin was pretty miserable.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Catgirl75
Reviewed 18 February 2009

The beds and linens were very clean, However the bathromms were not with dark spots in the tiles and water in the bathtub not quite draining down while one showers. Service and hospitality? They wanted me to leave a deposit for lending me their hairdryer!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2009

We were hoping for a romantic getaway for New Year in Paris. It was partly our fault for not checking the location of the hotel. We got to France on the Euro Tunnel. It stopped at Gard Da Nord. We were immidiately face to face with a begger - although this is what you would find anywhere. NOTE:Don't wander around Gard De Nord as it felt like walking around a really dodgy area with gangs of people selling allsorts and hounding passers by.

We got a really good three day Metro pass which was the best way to get around the city quickly. We arrived in Hoche, Pantin and wheeled our suitcase through one of the roughest estates imaginable. I did not feel safe here.

The reception of the hotel looked really nice and clean. The staff were really friendly speaking fluent English. As we took the lift up to our room I began to worry. The corridors were smelly and dirty. We opened the door to the hotel room which was pokey and small. The sheets were clean and fresh. We had to ask for towels but got one tea bag and one carton of milk each. When we asked for more milk for a cuppa before bed we were told there wasn't any. The bathroom was really dirty with cracked tiles. The tiles which were once white are now yellow. There was some noise from the streets. The shower was powerful and did the trick tho'!

As it was December it was freezing outside. We were out for about 12 hours at a time as it was so far away from The Louvre and the other places we wanted to visit. The hotel room did have heating which was great. We turned the heating on for the whole night to warm up.

We had a lovely time in Paris but I would advise to stay closer to the centre as this is on the eastern suburbs of Paris as the Metro had it's scary moments. We witnessed a couple of fights so I wouldn't travel on there late at night.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 29 July 2008

My friend and I stayed in the hotel from 14th July 2008 till 19th July 2008, in a double room. The size of the room is fine, bed is big enough, there is a small TV, our room was on the top floor (8th floor). When the windows are closed, the noise from the avenue did not bother us, but during our stay the hotel air-conditioner was broken down and the weather was hot, therefore, we need to keep the windows opened wide, it was a bit noisy at night. Even with the air-conditioner, it was very weak.

I must say that the hotel location is excellent, I purposely book this hotel which is not in Zone 1, cause I would like to see how the local people live, the locals will not bother you which is good.
This hotel is situated in Zone 2 which is ideal and the metro station is just 1 minute away from the hotel, also by the side of the hotel is a local mall, where there are supermarket and bakeries.

I must praise this hotel, because the shower is excellent, the water flow is strong and the room was kept clean by the staff. The reception staff can speak English and quite helpful.

Since I book this hotel with Eurostar and I booked it way in advance, the price I paid for 2 return Eurostar tickets and 5 nights aaccommodation is very reasonable.

If you are not looking for very luxurious accommodation, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pantin
Ibis Budget Paris Porte de Pantin
Campanile Paris 19 - La Villette
Canal Suites (Suite Home)
Ibis Paris Pantin Eglise
B&B Hotel Paris Porte des Lilas
Mercure Paris porte de Pantin

Been to Campanile Paris Est - Pantin? Share your experiences!