“Simple hotel, bad area.”

Eurohotel Paris Saint-Denis
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Saint-Denis
“Simple hotel, bad area.”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

On reading the previous reviews of this hotel and the area i was extremely worried about what i would find when we arrived. In terms of the area it is not one which i would stay in again, there are alot of local people around and it is a very busy place but i still did not feel 100% safe ( maybe this was down to the reviews i had read). A short walk from the train station at night is fine aslong as you get in amongst the locals getting off the train also and try not to stand out too much as a tourist. On the walk through the area there were a few gangs that seemed suspicious but fortunately we were not confronted or mugged like some of the previous residence of the hotel. The train station is around 2/3 metro changes to the big touristy spots so only stay here if you do not mind using the local transport alot.
In terms of the actual hotel itself, the staff were friendly but did not understand english that much however they were happy to help in booking us a taxi to the airport. Breakfast was very simple (baguettes, butter, jams, croissants and a few cereals) but was fair for the price we paid for the hotel. The room was cleaned every day with fresh towels and bedding had no problems with that at all.
I would recommend this hotel if you are with a large group maybe traveling by coach and not nedding to venture out into the local area much.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jessica-rose06

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Had to be in the area for work, booked the hotel based on price. Little did we know this was, according to local police, the most dangerous city in France! We were robbed while sitting in a nearby cafe. Thieves burst in, grabbed my bag off the table and ran away. While filing a police report, they told us there were typically 30 robberies a day in the area, mostly on tram or metro.

Apart from the very dicey area, the hotel was fair. The staff was helpful, and we were generally treated well. Decent wifi in the lobby. Poor lighting didn't add to the feeling of insecurity. Towels were tattered, though clean. Beds OK. We jammed one against the door at night, since there was no deadbolt on the room door. Restaurant in the hotel was OK, same simple breakfast of bread, cereal, cheese and jam each day. There is a McDonalds close by, but it doesn't open until 10am. Also a Subway nearby. We grabbed food and ate in our room.

If you absolutely have to stay in St Denis, the hotel is OK for what you pay, as long as you're used to tiny, dingy, French hotels. It's a sad place. The structure is older and very run down, which is a shame because it could clearly be done up into a very nice place. But then, no one would pay to stay there.The metro stop is a short walk, but through a dodgy market area. I'd sure not go there if I have any other option, though.

We later moved to a hotel in Montemarte area for visiting Paris more. Paid a lot more, but felt much safer and was able to relax a bit. That was the Lecluse Hotel. I do recommend that one.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Techie_Phil

Travellers are raving about these Saint-Denis hotels

Wigton
Reviewed 7 October 2013

When we arrived there was this almighty argument going on between a staff member (who ignored our arrival) and a guest, who was accused of not having paid for something. It was loud and intimidating. Whilst this was going on no-one came to check us in; we had to wait 25mins. for a receptionist to appear. When we went and looked at the room it was dingy, smelly and cramped. It had not been decorated in this or the last century. We wondered why the curtains were drawn on a bright sunny afternoon, so opened them, only to discover that any passerby could have looked straight in at our bed. The lock on the door was faulty and there did not appear to be any security about the hotel; it was terrible. Outside the supposed Hotel was very rough, rundown area. We did not feel safe. We were a couple of pensioners. I was trying to give my wife a birthday treat. Not very nice at all. The Hotel should be taken off all websites offering accommodation to unsuspecting foreign travellers. We just checked out and headed out of town, to take pot luck in a more civilised region of France. Luckily we found somewhere, but it could have been much worse, and the wear and tear on the nerves I would not wish on anyone.

Room Tip: Read revues carefully. Don't be fooled by photographs on a website.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sven55
Lisbon
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We travelled with a group and we got quadruple rooms almost for free since it's Paris that we're talking about. It's a 25 minute subway ride to downtown Paris. The area around the hotel didn't look completely safe, but that could be said about a significant number of neighborhoods around Paris. There are two fast food restaurants across the road. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank dulcinio
London
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Pervious reviewers have been accurate. It is a poor hotel in a rough area of Paris. The rooms have 1960's boarding school single beds (which uncomfortable lumpy mattresses) with no decor, carpets or furniture and a tiny shower. We tried a beer in the reception (draught Stella) which was undrinkable (but refunded) and the coca cola from the fridge was frozen solid, I guess no one ever drinks here. The nearest thing to a soviet style hostel and probably the worst hotel I have stayed in.

Room Tip: No good rooms - book elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank darstadlydarcey
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2013

After I'd saved for nearly two years in order to afford a break in Paris for our 40th wedding anniversary,what was supposed to have been the trip of a lifetime in the romance capital of the world,actually turned out to be our worst nightmare. After leaving the main route from CDG airport to Paris and being driven through the roughest area imaginable,probably best described as a ghetto,(think Moss-side,Manchester,then QUADRUPLE IT!!!) we arrived at the 'Hotel'. The main entrance was unlocked,so anyone was free to come or go as they pleased,that was our first concern. Then I asked just how far from Paris we were and was told 21 kilometers,the hotel website says it's close to all major attractions,I wouldn't call that close. Then I ask how we're going to get there and am told,"The Metro,but be very careful,don't carry much cash,leave your passports,credit cards,cameras,watches,handbags,jewelry,phones,etc. here at the hotel,because a lot of tourists get robbed around here." "Move quickly and keep a sharp lookout for gangs of youths,especially at the hotel entrance and on the Metro" We wondered if things could get any worse,they did. As we left the reception area and entered the hotel complex we were confronted by a four storey building which can best be described as a prison block. The area by the lifts was full of litter and stank of urine,as did the lift. We went to the fourth floor and opened the door to our room,switched on the light and my wife just cried. The room itself was the size of our bathroom and had two single beds,I'd booked a double room. The bedding looked as if it was made from some old curtain material from around 1950,it was dirty and stank of stale cigarettes. There was a small wardrobe with two coathangers,and a bathroom with a shower which would have just about been adequate if you happened to be a midget. As our hearts sank and our dreams were shattered,my wife just begged me to take her home. At this point I had to play my trump card and tell her that I'd booked us on a four course evening dinner cruise on the River Seine for the following night. It was meant to be a surprise but under the circumstances I had no choice,and for this reason,she agreed to stay. She wet into the shower and after a couple of minutes,let out a scream,he bathroom floor was under two inches of water! I had to use the towels to soak up the mess and we just went to bed (seperately) and tried to sleep.What followed was a sleepless night of shouting and wild behaviour,both from inside and outside the hotel,and what sounded like gunshots. In the morning I asked if the hotel could order a taxi for us but was advised to avoid taxis as they charge anywhere from 40 to 60 euros into Paris and the journey can take two to three hours. We decided to take our chances on the Metro and on the way,passed a bar 50 yards from the hotel with five bullet holes in the front window and all the rest of the windows smashed. I'd ignored the hotel manager's advice and taken our camera,so after making sure we weren't being watched I took three pictures of the damage. I tried to appear in control and confident while we were there for the sake of my wife but the truth of it is I have NEVER in my life felt as scared as during these three days and nights. We were being watched everywhere we went by these scumbag low-lifes,just waiting for something to kick off. It was only after coming home and stumbling upon some of the reviews on here that we began to appreciate just how lucky we'd been to get back in one piece. The after affects have left my wife traumatised and I wish to God we had gone to Blackpool instead. The whole area of Basilique St Denis,including the Eurohotel Sovereign,should be nuked of the face of the earth!!! Absolute bloody disgrace!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Splitty67
Manchester
Reviewed 27 February 2013

This Hotel is no Ritz but not the horror show some people have made it out to be, staff were friendly, hotel clean and breakfast was fine. Free Wifi also. We found St Denis to be vibrant multicultural centre not the european Sierre Leone that some reviews have made it out to be. It's fair enough away from touristy Paris to experience some real urban french culture. It takes 20mins on the metro to get into central Paris and the Metro itself is only 10mins walk from the Hotel. I would recommend this hotel and would stay at it again if I ever go to Paris again. If you want a cheap base to operate from whilst seeing Paris, this Hotel is a great cheap option.

Room Tip: if u can maybe stay off the ground floor would be a little quieter I would have thought...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple