“Skip this hotel! Awful!”

Campanile Paris Nord - Saint Denis Centre - Grand Stade
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Saint-Denis
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Sub-standard. We booked two nights here at the beginning of July, 2012. The moment we got into our room we realized what a huge mistake we made and called Expedia to cancel. Because we had already checked in, we could only get a refund for the second night. Although we were willing to take the financial hit just to get out of there, everything else in Paris within our price range was booked for the night; we were stuck. It is in the middle of downtown St. Denis and incredibly loud in the morning with delivery trucks, etc. Smoke in the hallway. Other reviewers said the area was dangerous - I think it's ok, you just have to be aware when you're walking down the street. It is literally 50 steps from the Metro, one great thing about tge hotel. But the room was awful. Stained carpet, shabby furniture, bathroom tiles full of mold. And there were no bathmat or handtowels - not something I ever thought about before but this was not a bathroom floor I wanted to be barefoot on. We had a "3 bed room" so there was a double bed and a fold-up bed although only two towels total. The front desk staff was completely clueless (couldn't tell us where the nearest parking structure was and we ended up in one pretty far from the hotel - not cool to walk through croweded downtown St. Denis with all your luggage...). We were just looking for an affordable place to rest our head at night and didn't need anything fancy - but this was hostel quality - NOT the right quality for the price!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DanielleH736

Reviewed 11 May 2012

Please please make future guests are aware that the location of the hotel
is extremely dangerous.
Please make clients aware that the hotel restaurant is closed weekends
with nothing else in the area.
The staff were nice but seriously lacked any sort of cop on (wrong
rooms allocated twice & couldn't take a simple taxi booking)
The lobby on the 2nd floor stank of BO and the ensuite in rooms 211,
218 & 223 stank of urine which you got used to after a while, we did
move from room 211 to 223, was the same.
I was happy to stay in a budget hotel, this hotel was an out & out disgrace!!
Please see just a few of the pics I got.

Room Tip: Just stay away from this hotel!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Erica A
Reviewed 9 May 2012

The District is very, very dangerous. On exiting the Metro we were informed by a very nice person (shop owner) to be more than careful of pick pockets/the locals/area, we had already been followed/harassed by pick pockets on the Metro. We as a family are well seasoned travellers so tube/train travel is nothing new.
My family were put in danger, while walking back to the hotel a couple of hundred yards from the entrance to the Metro we were caught up in a convoy of joy riders, racing cars with youths
Hanging out windows of very fast moving cars shouting/beeping horns doing ‘wheelies’ it would not look out of place in an American ‘drive by’ shooting film - it was so frightening, this continued until the police arrived. We were informed this was not an uncommon sight. I would not promote/suggest this hotel/area to anyone, the area is full of pick pockets, down and outs, beggars, drunks all sitting/walking around the outside of the hotel and Metro not to mention the conduct and driving habits of the yobs etc.
As for the hotel, it’s filthy, the rooms stank of body odour, the bathrooms stank of ‘cat pee’, holes in the bed clothes, sockets hanging off the walls. The staff were smiley but thick, (no language barrier), wrong rooms assigned to us, just all round dreadful. I know you get what you pay for but this is not cheap and cleanliness costs nothing!!
The restaurant closes at the weekend, there is no bar (mindful of area). When in the reception area, if you need to use the bathroom the security guard gives you the key which you return when finished. It is not safe for couples/families and especially not for people travelling alone. It’d 25 minutes by tube from the Champs Elysees.
In all towns/cities in the world people have to be careful of their property, but staying in Saint Dennis is putting yourself right in the middle of it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank GreystonesDee
Reviewed 22 January 2012

The service is very nice. In the restaurant are very attentive. The hotel is very good, well equipped, free wi-fi and near the metro. The only problem is the location too far from the turists points, metro very crowded there. Unsafe, but if you are careful, there will be no problems.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank helenamcd
Reviewed 24 November 2011

This hotel is equipped with very old furniture, it needs a renovation very urgently!! Apart from that, the room was really dirty and not cosy at all. Some receptionists were really kind and helpful; however, others have a deal with taxi driver and once you asked them to call a ataxi for you, they call a specific one for which you may wait even half an hour and then give youa very high rate becaus ethe receptionist gets commision on that. It's very far from the city centre, but has quite a good connection. I will for sure not come back again and I would definitely not recommend it!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Diana S
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Just stayed at this hotel and would definitely stay again. I had read some bad reviews about it before we left and I was a little anxious. I shouldn't have bothered worrying myself. The person who described it as 'one step up from a Hostel' has obviously never stayed in a Hostel. The hotel is clean, serviceable and very handy for the Metro. The staff were helpful and the rooms were basic but clean. The towels were changed daily. There was tea and coffee making facilities in the room as well as a TV (at no extra charge) and free wi-fi. We found the breakfast more than adequate, but then we are used to continental breakfasts. The restaurant wasn't opened in the evening (don't know about lunchtime as we were sightseeing) but there is a lovely wee Italian restaurant that we enjoyed just a 5min walk away. The hotel is in a predominately black area but we encountered no problems at all and at no time did we feel intimidated, even late at night. Do be warned that, off season, there are very few eateries open after 8pm. The Metro is literally outside the hotel, the downside of this is that we didn't explore this part of St Denis as much as we might have.

We did get lost getting there but that was because we took a wrong turn as we were walking from the RER station at the Stade de France. We should have done our homework a bit better and we would have known that we could have got the 239, 235 or 153 bus from the bus stops outside the station (same side of road) and we would have been there in 10mins. The bus stops right outside the hotel. We got the 239 for our return journey so I know for sure that it takes you from A to B.

There is a market in the square and surrounding streets next to the hotel Friday's and Sundays. It's hectic but there are some good buys to be found.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trouper9
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I booked a triple room with 3 beds, arrived to a room with 2 beds, offered to exchange room for one with a double and a single bed. This was not acceptable as I was travlling with my daughter and her cousin (both 18years old). They then gave me 2 more rooms to look at, both had only 2 beds. After I refused to allow him to put another bed in our room which was already just big enough for the girls suitcases, they compromised and let me have another twin room which was probably the highlight of our stay.
I had a coupon from Octopus travel to say my room was paid for. The hotel said this was not enough and demanded I pay again and they would re-imburse me. I refused so I then had to go on to my email account and then onto my on-line banking account to show that the money had been paid to Octopus travel (thank god they had wifi). This Hotel is situated in the heart of the African-French community but we did find it very easy to get around as the Metro is adjacent to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
2  Thank pippym