“Brilliant B&B”

GreenLeadersGold level
Cologne, Germany
“Brilliant B&B”
Reviewed 23 October 2011

We had a wonderful relaxing time in Manorbier @Awelon. It is a very special B&B with a brilliant hostess, clean cosy rooms and a great scenic view. First we came to stay the first 2 nights of our holiday trip. But then we felt so comfortable and welcome that we stayed longer, longer and longer. Katherine is caring really good with homemade food and is always helpful to organize an adventures day in and around Manorbier, Pembrokshire. There is a lot to do and see around Manorbier what we hadn't expect before getting there , because it looks so tiny. Hiking, brilliant beaches, pretty towns, castles, good fishing, super surfing, tasty food and beer, events like Ironman, Fish & Chips… It is definitely a place to visit again and stay even longer.

TOP 5 around Awelon B&B:
- Surfing Freshwater West
- Tenby town - you should go to "Caffe Vista"
- Lillyponds walk
- Barafundle beach
- Marnorbier castle

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EmlynBoecher
kbawelon, Owner at Manorbier Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
I would like to thank you both for loving Manorbier. You certainly made the most of your stay and were lucky enough to see porpoises off Tenby South Beach. As you discovered extending your stay there is masses to see and do in Pembrokeshire and you obviously felt it was worth setting off at midnight from Germany to stay here, so I am delighted.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I have mixed feelings about writing this review. I feel that TA is a website that millions of users use to confirm whether or not they will visit a certain place. One might see a place as spectacular while others see something else. Often times those that might like the host don't want to upset them with any criticism. While some owners on TA respond in a very defensive manner when guests post their negative comments and say "why didn't you tell me when you were visiting?" that is a difficult thing to do (for many reasons). The host of the Manorbier B & B is a very nice woman. The house is great and the view from the bedroom was the best of the dozens of b & b's that we have stayed in. The garden is gorgeous and we can only imagine how wonderful it would be to relax out there in warm weather. The bed and bedclothes were very comfortable. Breakfast was the usual b & b fare but please see comments about dogs below. The communal area for guests downstairs was clean and tidy.

The house itself could have been cleaner. If visitors are able to view the kitchen then the kitchen should be neat and tidy at all times. The carpeting (in the halls and room) was badly stained. Although we hear that it will be replaced this winter that was a moot point for us. The walls in the hallway were quite scuffed. There are very well behaved dogs but their hairs popped up in places that were not acceptable. There was a very stained blanket hanging over the rail by the bathroom which really didn't belong there. While there was a towel warmer it was used to dry the floor mat which was tossed over our towels. I didn't find that to be very nice. Be prepared to share the bathroom with the child of the house (I don't think he was supposed to but it is right next to his room and I don't fault him at all). I was also quite surprised to share the breakfast table with the child. We've stayed at many b & b's but this was the first time we ever experienced dining with a family member. If you do stay here keep in mind that you are part of the family so you might hear spats between the child and his mother which was a little awkward for us. While the tea tray came with packets of cookies we were given an open packet with one missing (it's not the missing cookie that I have an issue with but the fact that we were given an open packet).

This is probably a great b & b for those with children. The boy is a nice kid who would no doubt be welcoming to other children. I wouldn't recommend this place for couples on a romantic getaway. This home is not set up with different quarters for the family and the guests. The guest rooms are situated between the family members' rooms. I hope this is taken as constructive criticism as the host is nice and accommodating and the house is lovely. With a little tweaking this can be a five star establishment.

Room Tip: Both are lovely and have spectacular views of the castle and the sea.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cindyandted
kbawelon, Owner at Manorbier Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
I would like to thank these guests for taking the time to write such a detailed and comprehensive review of our family home and small bed and breakfast. I really value and appreciate guest feedback in order to improve my service for future guests.
Therefore I would like to reassure present and future guests of some of the areas that have been highlighted in this review and what I have done or will be doing to address them.
Firstly I have a programme of ongoing maintenance each year. As stated in the review, the carpets up the stairs and corridor are being replaced in November 2011 as they are marked. The carpets in the bedroom were professionaly cleaned at the beginning of the season in February 2011 and will be cleaned and if necessary replaced in November 2011.There are wooden floors downstairs. The entire downstairs and upstairs guest areas were repainted in the winter of 2011 and will be reviewed and repainted as necessary during the winter months 2011/2012.
I found it extremely helpful in this review to discover that a packet of biscuits provided on the hospitality tray was open . I was totally unaware that a biscuit was missing or that it was unsealed at one end. In future I will thorougly check that the biscuit packets are properly sealed at both ends. As an addition to a small packet of biscuits I always provide either homemade slices of cake,chocolate brownies or flapjacks and fresh fruit with the hospitality tray.

Lastly I would just like to reassure future guests that my eight year old son does not normally have breakfast or any meals with guests it was a one off during their stay prior to taking him to school and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to these guests for this error and oversight.
Reviewed 7 September 2011

From the moment we stepped in I knew Awelon would feel like home. After a heafty 9 hour drive to the Pembrokshire Coast...we were greeted by the lovely Katherine and her gorgeous and remarkably well behaved dogs Rebus and Murph to a rather much needed G&T!!! As we were shown around I was mesmerised by how beautiful the house was...our room was cosy and homely with freshly homemade cooking goodies....our own little fridge and freshly ground coffee. The view from our twin room was truly stunning...perfect view of the sea and Manorbier Castle to which we were to attend a wedding. Fresh soft towels and dressing gowns were much appreciated. After a perfect nights sleep...we were welcomed to a very tasty breakfast of homemade museli, the freshest fruit and the most amazing cooked breakfast all locally sought or grown. The garden which I have aptly called the secret garden since, is just beautiful, serene and peaceful and an absoutley haven for anyone seeking some relaxation and peace and quiet.

Katherine is the perfect host and a truly remarkable lady! I would recommend Awelon to anyone who was heading for the Pembrokeshire Coast. I don't think you could possibly stay anywhere better. Will exceed anyone expectations...it most definitely did mine!

Manorbier is truly stunning and the wedding we attended in the Castle was one I will remember forever.

We would both like to thank you Katherine for making us feel so welcome and at home. Your house and garden are both truly stunning! Quite possibly the best B&B we have ever stayed in. We will most definitely be back to see you.

Kerry and Lilian

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bluehooker
kbawelon, Owner at Manorbier Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
Thank you I am very happy you both had a lovely time. The least I could do after a harrowing nine hour journey from London was to offer you a large Gin and Tonic and a meal. I am just delighted you managed to enjoy the weekend.
conwy, north wales
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Stayed at Awelon with my partner and 11 year old daughter. We had a wonderful room with the most glorious views of the local beach. One double bed and a very good quality fold up bed for my daughter. In the room we had a caftiere with fresh ground coffee and home made chocolate brownies.
The attention to detail in every aspect is what stood out for us. Quality fixtures and fittings, superb landscaped gardens and the most amazing home cooked food.
Other reviews have remarked on the lack of en suite facilities and though this would have been nice, luxuriant bathrobes were provided in the room for the short journey to a very well presented bathroom which had a nice powerful shower. Therefore I would say that the lack of en suite was not an issue at all and even provided an extra element of privacy to our stay.
The breakfast at Awelon was simply perfect. Katherine sources local products to complement her home grown and home cooked produce. Home made muesli, home made sauces and jams. A fantastic fruit salad! We were offered a choice of eggs and Katherine ended up preparing fried, scrambled and poached without batting an eyelid. Very easily the best breakfast I have ever eaten.
Katherine was a wonderful host. A font of knowledge on all things local, advising on where to eat, where to visit etc. Extremely helpful and thoughtful too.
Awelon is Katherines home also and she has provided a lovely lounge for guests.
Overall we had a great time and could not have picked a better place to stay. QWe will definitely be going back to Awelon and would recommend it without hesitation.
Thanks Katherine for a fabulous stay!!

Room Tip: No en suite but quality bathrobes provided.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank tony m
I am delighted you enjoyed staying here and enjoyed the garden so a big thank you. Sadly I have not got an en suite in that part of the house as it dates back to 1877 but as you say I provide guests with dressing gowns and try and make up for this in other ways to try and give my guests an enjoyable stay.
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I recently returned to South Pembrokeshire, where I was born & brought up, after a very long time away. I had high expectations & was not disapponted. Arriving at Awelon was magical - a beautiful garden, stunning views of Manorbier Castle & beach and a very warm welcome from Katherine. My room was very comfortable & the breakfast delicious (as was the piece of cake I found in my room every afternoon). There is no en-suite bathroom which meant I had to share with the occupants of the other room, but that wasn't a problem. As a single traveller, I enjoyed the lively conversation around the communal breakfast table and Katherine was very helpful with suggestions about places to visit etc. She booked me into the local restaurant for dinner (which incidentally was very good value for money) & even offered to do some washing for me. All in all, a great stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Fiona W
I am really delighted you enjoyed your stay and glad you loved the views from the house and sitting out in the patio area even better it was a lovely sunny weekend.
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Awelon has amazing views overlooking the beautiful bay and castle, the best cooked breakfast in pembrokeshire, with locally sourced eggs, bacon, sausages and home made muesli, delicious homemade cakes and brownies in your room, wonderfully comfortable rooms( with mini fridges), a perfect garden and open plan sitting room area to relax and enjoy the specatular view and chill out, but above all Katherine is just so kind, helpful and attentive and had thought of everything to make our stay so welcoming and relaxing. Nothing was too much trouble. Her two adorable cocker spaniels, Murphy and rheubus are wonderful family dogs always giving you a friendly welcome. I would highly recommend Awelon to anyone wanting to explore this beautiful part of pembrokeshire, whether for a short or long stay, it ticks all the 'excellent' boxes. Many thanks Katherine, we will be back to visit soon. TINK from Burgess Hill !

Room Tip: Both twin and double rooms have a great view and really comfortable beds and pillows!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Katie P
It was really great to have you as a family to stay here and my son having your son to play with and muck about in the sea with, so I am looking forward to you hopefully visiting again next year. I know you love Manorbier it is a fantastic village 99 per cent lived in with a wonderful cafe,four star restaurant, great pub and shop. A really big thank you from the both of us for your lovely review.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2011

First impressions were of walking through a beautiful garden, to be greeted by two lively, very obedient dogs, into an light and airy reception room- white walls and wooden floors. The large windows look out onto flower borders and Manorbier castle beyond.
The bedroom was attractive and comfortable, with a view of the castle and the beach in the distance. Tea and coffee (with a cafetiere) were provided, with fresh milk available in the small fridge in the hallway. Also a freshly baked brownie.
For breakfast there was local, medal winning bacon, homemade preserves, the honey came from a friend's hive. A bowl of strawberries and blueberries accompanied the homemade muesli. If you like food, this place would suit you.
The landlady, Katherine was very friendly and interesting. Also very kind. I had arrived in Wales to an unexpected drop in temperature, she lent me her coat so that I might walk on the beach. She also helped me with my very tight weekend's schedual.
The house is old and its layout means that the bathroom, shared by the two guest rooms, is accessed along the hall. Generous sized bathrobes are provided in each room, but this might be an issue for some visitors.
I certainly hope to return and spend a more leisurely stay.

Room Tip: Both guest rooms share the same view, one room has twin beds, the other a double.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank fitzmaurice
Thank you very much for your lovely review I feel very honoured you enjoyed Pembrokeshire Produce I will always try to provide guests with quality food and feel touched that you think anyone who enjoys food will like it here! Many thanks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manorbier
Broadmead Boutique B&B
Fourcroft Hotel
Fourcroft Hotel
#11 of 23 in Tenby
Brynteg Bed and Breakfast - Manorbier

Been to Manorbier Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!