“What a Gem”

Manorbier Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 6 Manorbier B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 May 2012

This is one of the best B&B's I have ever stayed in. Katherine is a wonderful host nothing is too much trouble; you could tell she really cared about our comfort. There were freshly baked brownies on arrival and home made bread, museli, preserves, etc for breakfast. Fantastic.

We had a large bathroom down the hall with a luxurious tub and power shower; wonderful if you are a walker. I much prefer a shared bathroom with a nice tub than a private cramped shower. Katherine supplies bat robes; a really nice touch! Everything was spotless and had recently been painted and carpeted.

I left my hat and gloves and Katherine went above and beyond the call of duty to take them to our next B&B. I just can't say enough good things about Awelon and Katherine.

This is defintiely the place to stay in Manorbier!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank footloose4ever
kbawelon, Owner at Manorbier Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

The weather was not marvellous when these people who wrote such a lovely review stayed with me we were plagued with Northerly and easterly winds and a hat and gloves was going to be essential for the Pembrokeshire Coast Path for those two weeks. It was no trouble to take their possessions onto Bosherston it gave me an excuse to walk the dogs at the Lily ponds so many thanks for leaving them behind and writing such a lovely review. Katherine

Reviewed 19 April 2012

I visited with my 2 kids, was met by car when we got lost & given to warmest welcome possible.Freshly baked borwnies, hot chocolate and fruit in out beautiful rooms.The breakfast was amazing too. The house is lovely, the puppy adorable and the views second to none. Nothing was too much trouble. The village, with is impressive castle and picture postcard bay, is idyllic. We have told all out family & friends to go. Many, many thanks Katherine---I wish all B&Bs were like yours.

Room Tip: They are both beautiful & both have amazing views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jenny H
kbawelon, Owner at Manorbier Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

Thank you for such a lovely review.I was full of admiration for this lovely family walking The Coast Path with their heavy backpacks in strong winds. I try and cater for all ages and diets so I am particularly pleased the children enjoyed their hot chocolate in the morning. It has made me think I will offer it to the children who are coming to stay here in 2012.
This is not a sophisticated bed and breakfast with shared bathroom facilities at present. I try and make it as relaxed and comfortable as possible so that people can enjoy our home, garden and anything people may want to borrow for the beach.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

Stayed at Awelon for the second time on 11th March for three nights with my partner. We had previously stayed last summer.
Once again we have had a marvellous break. Katherine welcomed us warmly and seemed genuinely pleased to see us. Katherine has a new puppy called Fudge which is just the cutest thing ever. The dogs are lovely and friendly and are kept in a room of their own so please ignore any reviews which talk of them negatively. They do not present any problems with noise, smells or risk to hygiene! We had a long chat over a coffee before going up to our room. There are new carpets on the stairs and hallways. Our room was immaculately presented with homemade cake awaiting us.
Over the course of our three days we had perfect breakfasts which included fresh fruit salad, full cooked, Welsh cakes with butter, jams etc etc - incredible really.
We were in Manorbier to do some walking but it was very foggy for two of the days. No matter - Katherine gave us lots of ideas and information and we had a great stay once again. After our first walk from Amroth to Manorbier Katherine very kindly drove us back to Amroth to pick our car up which was really kind.

Awelon is a jewel of a place and we will be returning again and again for sure! Thanks Katherine for another lovely time.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tony m
kbawelon, Owner at Manorbier Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

A big thank you to this couple's for their review. Unfortunately they came to do some more coastal walking and it was slightly hazardous conditions with thick fog for their return visit to me,but they did enjoy a visit to Narbeth and made the most if their stay. I am always happy to help my guests if they want to leave a car somewhere to do the Pembrokeshire Coast Path in the south of the county

Reviewed 13 March 2012

We stayed at this B&B for two nights in March 2012. We arrived in the dark, a slight problem was getting through the village due to road works. However the road is open at night and with a bit of guidance from our host Katherine we got there.

We received a very warm welcome from Katherine, the room and the house was vey clean and comfortable,off road parking was available. The room was not en-suite however this did not worry us and we still had everything we needed. Wifi is available, but O2 reception in the village was poor.

As we had arrived in the dark we were very pleasantly surprised the following morning with a superb view overlooking Manorbier Castle. We had a full english breakfast which was fine and Katherine had left some homemade cake with our tea and coffee facilities in our room on both days which was very nice.

Katherine was very helpful with local knowledge and made us feel at home, she told us that many walkers stay with her as the Pembrokeshire coastal path goes this way. She has drying facilities for walkers.

The village itself has a pub (This is currently undergoing refurbishment however they are certainly open at the weekends for drinks) We did go and there appeared to be a very strong community spirit with friendly owners and punters. The village has a shop and a post office, a tea shop and garage. We walked down to the beach and there were a few surfers and kayakers there, it is a big beach with good parking facilites and toilets. Tenby is about 10 mins away by car.

I would recommend this B&B, and a visit to manorbier if you want to walk or just have a relaxing time.

Thank you Katherine for your hospitality, we enjoyed our visit and loved the dogs.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
kbawelon, Owner at Manorbier Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2012

What a really lovely surprise that this lovely couple took the time to write such a lovely review. Despite all the lovely reviews i seem to get on the whole I would just like to point out to future guests I am not a graded four or five star establishment so i was pleased the fact that no en suite was not to much of a problem it is a family home as well as a bed and breakfast. I should have forewarned you that the only reception here is Orange but i will always allow guests if they need to contact anyone that they can use my telephone. I have to say the weather was shrouded in fog most of the time but this couple made the most of exploring the villages in the South Pembrokeshire. Many thanks.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

We went to Manorbier B&B in Xmas'11 break for 3 days. The owner of the B&B, Katherine, gave us a ride from Tenby train station to the B&B. We were blown away by the view from our room - the castle, the sea, the trail - truly amazing for first-time Wales visitors like us. When we reached the room in the evening, we had tea, coffee, biscuits, cake, fruits waiting for us. The shower was warm and powerful, the bathroom & robes were very clean and tidy. The room had TV with lots of channels, interesting books and touristy leaflets & magazines. Katherine was totally ok for us to use her kitchen to fix our evening meals. The dogs were not annoying at all. Morning breakfast was delicious and filling. We went on the coastal trail to Tenby (~5 hours of leisurely walk) and on another day to Pembroke castle. Manorbier is a little charming interesting village with a castle & sea shore. All in all, we were very happy with the trip and the B&B, recommend it heartily.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank swara2009

I would like to thank this couple for their review and I apologise for my lateness in response I have had a computer repaired. This was your first time in Wales and I am glad you enjoyed it as you came over the Christmas period. What really impressed me was that you successful managed to explore the Pembrokeshire Coast and used public transport over a main holiday period to vist Pembroke and Tenby. Many thanks for coming to stay.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

We had a wonderful relaxing time in Manorbier @Awelon. It is a very special B&B with a brilliant hostess, clean cosy rooms and a great scenic view. First we came to stay the first 2 nights of our holiday trip. But then we felt so comfortable and welcome that we stayed longer, longer and longer. Katherine is caring really good with homemade food and is always helpful to organize an adventures day in and around Manorbier, Pembrokshire. There is a lot to do and see around Manorbier what we hadn't expect before getting there , because it looks so tiny. Hiking, brilliant beaches, pretty towns, castles, good fishing, super surfing, tasty food and beer, events like Ironman, Fish & Chips… It is definitely a place to visit again and stay even longer.

TOP 5 around Awelon B&B:
- Surfing Freshwater West
- Tenby town - you should go to "Caffe Vista"
- Lillyponds walk
- Barafundle beach
- Marnorbier castle

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank EmlynBoecher
kbawelon, Owner at Manorbier Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

I would like to thank you both for loving Manorbier. You certainly made the most of your stay and were lucky enough to see porpoises off Tenby South Beach. As you discovered extending your stay there is masses to see and do in Pembrokeshire and you obviously felt it was worth setting off at midnight from Germany to stay here, so I am delighted.

Reviewed 18 October 2011

I have mixed feelings about writing this review. I feel that TA is a website that millions of users use to confirm whether or not they will visit a certain place. One might see a place as spectacular while others see something else. Often times those that might like the host don't want to upset them with any criticism. While some owners on TA respond in a very defensive manner when guests post their negative comments and say "why didn't you tell me when you were visiting?" that is a difficult thing to do (for many reasons). The host of the Manorbier B & B is a very nice woman. The house is great and the view from the bedroom was the best of the dozens of b & b's that we have stayed in. The garden is gorgeous and we can only imagine how wonderful it would be to relax out there in warm weather. The bed and bedclothes were very comfortable. Breakfast was the usual b & b fare but please see comments about dogs below. The communal area for guests downstairs was clean and tidy.

The house itself could have been cleaner. If visitors are able to view the kitchen then the kitchen should be neat and tidy at all times. The carpeting (in the halls and room) was badly stained. Although we hear that it will be replaced this winter that was a moot point for us. The walls in the hallway were quite scuffed. There are very well behaved dogs but their hairs popped up in places that were not acceptable. There was a very stained blanket hanging over the rail by the bathroom which really didn't belong there. While there was a towel warmer it was used to dry the floor mat which was tossed over our towels. I didn't find that to be very nice. Be prepared to share the bathroom with the child of the house (I don't think he was supposed to but it is right next to his room and I don't fault him at all). I was also quite surprised to share the breakfast table with the child. We've stayed at many b & b's but this was the first time we ever experienced dining with a family member. If you do stay here keep in mind that you are part of the family so you might hear spats between the child and his mother which was a little awkward for us. While the tea tray came with packets of cookies we were given an open packet with one missing (it's not the missing cookie that I have an issue with but the fact that we were given an open packet).

This is probably a great b & b for those with children. The boy is a nice kid who would no doubt be welcoming to other children. I wouldn't recommend this place for couples on a romantic getaway. This home is not set up with different quarters for the family and the guests. The guest rooms are situated between the family members' rooms. I hope this is taken as constructive criticism as the host is nice and accommodating and the house is lovely. With a little tweaking this can be a five star establishment.

Room Tip: Both are lovely and have spectacular views of the castle and the sea.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cindyandted
kbawelon, Owner at Manorbier Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

I would like to thank these guests for taking the time to write such a detailed and comprehensive review of our family home and small bed and breakfast. I really value and appreciate guest feedback in order to improve my service for future guests.
Therefore I would like to reassure present and future guests of some of the areas that have been highlighted in this review and what I have done or will be doing to address them.
Firstly I have a programme of ongoing maintenance each year. As stated in the review, the carpets up the stairs and corridor are being replaced in November 2011 as they are marked. The carpets in the bedroom were professionaly cleaned at the beginning of the season in February 2011 and will be cleaned and if necessary replaced in November 2011.There are wooden floors downstairs. The entire downstairs and upstairs guest areas were repainted in the winter of 2011 and will be reviewed and repainted as necessary during the winter months 2011/2012.
I found it extremely helpful in this review to discover that a packet of biscuits provided on the hospitality tray was open . I was totally unaware that a biscuit was missing or that it was unsealed at one end. In future I will thorougly check that the biscuit packets are properly sealed at both ends. As an addition to a small packet of biscuits I always provide either homemade slices of cake,chocolate brownies or flapjacks and fresh fruit with the hospitality tray.

Lastly I would just like to reassure future guests that my eight year old son does not normally have breakfast or any meals with guests it was a one off during their stay prior to taking him to school and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to these guests for this error and oversight.