“Impossible to find, impersonal but cheap and comfortable enough for an overnight stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of hotelF1 Montpellier sud

hotelF1 Montpellier sud
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Lattes
Santa Ponsa, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

This was super cheap (€19 for twin room) and so can't really complain. The Formule 1 format is impersonal but fine for stopping off near the motorway if you're doing a big trip. IF OF COURSE YOU CAN BLOODY FIND IT FROM THE MOTORWAY!! (It's in the hotel district near the Ibis). Clean, warm, quiet. I booked it on the way back but be warned! If you think you won't make your destination, you won't get a refund or transfer even if you stop at one of their other places same network... Best to just book as you arrive on entry if you have doubts

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Caroline S

Stirling, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

This was a fairly standard cheapy hotel, located in an industrial estate outside Montpellier surrounded by other cheapy hotels. I booked this as it seemed to have the fewest poor reviews and as I was booking at short notice, £30 a night didn't seem to be a bad deal. As other reviewers have said, if you don't have a car, you have a choice between walking around 1.5 miles to the nearest tram station via an underpass, or to walk along the motorway. I only had to walk the long way in 35C heat once to decide I would rather play with traffic on the motorway. If you don't do it at busy times, there isn't a huge amount of traffic.
The hotel itself is anything but 'F1', I would call it a hostel. The outside was covered in cigarette butts and glass, the hallways were dull, but the room was at least clean and reasonably cool with the air con on. There is a toilet cubicle and shower cubicle for each row of about 10 rooms. Fortunately there didn't seem to be other people staying in the same corridor. The shower is pretty useless, of the style you get in swimming pools. You get 30 seconds of water every time you press the button, and it's fixed aiming at the wall far away from where most people's heads would be. I would advise against entering either the shower or toilet in bare feet, I always kept my sandals on.
It's not clear when you book, but reception is only open for two hours in the early evening and if you arrive later, as I did, you need to use the ATM-style machine at the front to sign in. You need a credit card for this. I only had cash and was lucky to find someone to use their card to sign me in in exchange for cash. You get a code which is valid until 11am the next day, and if you can't sign in at reception while it's briefly open, you need to be around at 11am when check-in opens again to sign in or you won't have a room when you come back.
It's not bad for the price compared to prices elsewhere in Montpellier, but be aware that you are getting a room to sleep in and very little else.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Lattes hotels

Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

In September 2012, myself and a friend decided to spend a few days in Montpellier. Unfortunately, the hostel we planned to stay in for the 3 nights was fully booked so we decided to stay in this Formule 1 rather than shell out for an expensive hotel (there aren't many cheap hotels in central Montpellier). This was a massive error! No one we spoke to knew how to get to the hotel by public transport, even those working at Tourist Information. Eventually, someone advised us that we could take the tram to Garcia Lorca and walk. It ended up being a 25-30 minute walk FROM the tram stop through a rather rough area with no pedestrian walkway. Upon arrival at the hotel (surprised we made it to be honest), we asked the receptionist if there was another route we could take. He advised us to walk along the side of the MOTORWAY (yes, the hard shoulder) to reach the tram stop. Since we both speak fluent French, we asked him if it was safe and if it was far (even at night) - he advised us "il y a pas de probleme"....we shouldn't have listened to his advice since we nearly had a mental breakdown walking along that motorway....with lorries and cars speeding past at 110kmph. Some of them missed us by inches. We actually ended up turning back and getting a taxi into town but by this point we'd missed most of la Fête de la Musique....I did intend to write a formal complaint to Formule 1 but never got round to it unfortunately.

The hotel itself is fine. "Cheap and cheerful" so to speak. The toilets are a little strange though and be aware that the reception desk is rarely manned. But I suppose you get what you pay for!

I just wanted to write this review so other 'backpacker' travellers or people travelling without their own vehicle do not end up in the same horrible and dangerous situation we found ourselves in. Trust me, it is worth paying a few extra euros a night for somewhere in the city centre.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank abbietheexplorer
Lincs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

Surprisingly close to the town for an f1 hotel just over the bridge that crosses the peage. It is the usual set up. Small problem when checking in with card and PIN, I had booked 4 nights but the card and access only gave me code for one night. This was quickly resolved by manager in morning with no fuss. As I have become accustomed to, the bed was firm comfortable and clean,TV worked with all channels,there was no sink plug(travel with my own always), the desk strip light did not work, the facilities were mostly very clean and I did not have to wait once, even when the hotel was 'plein'.
On the Friday night there were a bunch of stoned kids running between rooms and generally making a lot of teenage hormonal noise, but thats what ear plugs are for eh? The bus network can be reached in 10 mins on foot as can the Geant Casino, Quick,Courtepaille, Campanille. Overall, if you know these hotels, it will not disappoint, you will need to save money somewhere as France is now getting more expensive than Monaco!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul G
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

Located approx 10 mins drive from the centre of Montpellier - As with all hotels in this chain they are cheap for a reason.
Rooms ok but could do with a lick of paint.
Beds comfortable and bed linen very clean.
Toilets clean, but the showers were all covered in sand which wasnt washing away.
In a quiet suburb neat the Premier Classe and 2 other hotels. Easy to get there and there are plenty of signs to the hotel if you are heading towards Montpellier.
Nearest place to eat 5 mins by car.
Car park was had plenty of spaces. WIFI worked.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

I have stayed at several F1 hotels and have usually found them basic but clean, which is all I expect. This one however was not that. Although the entire hotel is meant to be non smoking our room stunk of stale cigarette, as did the whole of our level. The bathrooms were dirty & the service I received from the man at reception was rude. I definitely wont be coming back!!

• Stayed July 2011
Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2007

We didn't expect much, just a place to stay the first night after arriving at Montpellier airport (it's very close). But this was way below. Our clothes smelled of disinfectant for days. Toilets were abhorrent. Shattered glass on the parking lot almost ruined our tires.

• Liked — the cheerful colors everywhere
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank Frankie-the-Hun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lattes
Ibis Budget Montpellier sud Lattes
Novotel Montpellier
Novotel Montpellier
#20 of 85 in Montpellier
Premiere Classe Montpellier Est - Parc Expositions - Aeroport

Been to hotelF1 Montpellier sud? Share your experiences!