Le Prieure Hotel Restaurant
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel de l'Atelier(Villeneuve-les-Avignon)
Hotel La Suite(Villeneuve-les-Avignon)
View Hotel
Najeti Hotel la Magnaneraie(Villeneuve-les-Avignon)
O'Cub Hotel(Villeneuve-les-Avignon)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Restaurant Les Cedres(Villeneuve-les-Avignon)
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Mignon(Avignon)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmichelin starbeautiful hoteljunior suiteacross the riverone starbeautiful gardenrooms are largewonderful mealthree nightslast summercharming villageroom rateshort driveold buildingrestaurants in walking distanceglass of winecroissants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I spent a couple of days in this hotel while passing through Avignon. The hotel is well located just outside the old city, and a little difficult to find without a GPS. You will need a car to move around. If you are traveling by car and want to see Avignon and its surrounding, this hotel will suit you.

But, the most amazing thing about this hotel is that it is built from two parts. Two parts means that they have to types of properties. Basically, two buildings. One building is "as advertised" on the web site and can be seen in the photographs and the other building other is an old "60s'" like apartment building for those who are unwary.

My partner researched the hotel and made a booking on hotels.com based on the hotel's web site. The room looks spacious and brand new. When we arrived at the hotel, I was impressed by the surrounding and expected a very nice stay.

However I was dismayed that we were taken to a room in a nearby building (overlooking the pool) which looked like the building my granmother lived in during the 60's of the last century...

Using an old (very old) elevator we were taken to old room overlooking the pool. Frankly, it was shabby and under-decorated, certainly it was no where near the pictures on the web site. Soon there after we noticed that high speed trains were passing right infront of the pool through every few minutes. While the room was clean, and the shower refurbished, it was absolutely not a Relies & Chateau room (See what is advertised at http://www.relaischateaux.com/en/search-book/hotel-restaurant/leprieure#.UkbPA7yevcE).

Soon enough we went to the reception and I was stunned to hear from the receptionist that since we booked though hotels.com we shouldn't complain, that the room was like on the web site (it was not and I showed her) and that there are only 3 trains a day (by the time we were talking two more trains went by and later a few more, and we are talking about high speed trains).

Since I wasn't about to continue arguing, I told the receptionist to give us what we reserved or just refund our money and we will go somewhere else.

After discussing this matter with her manager we were upgraded to a suite. I must say that I didn't ask to be upgraded. The suite was located on the other building above the reception and the 1 Michelin star restaurant the hotel boasts.

From that moment on wards the stay was superb. The only question is why? why did we have to go through this ordeal. Why does this hotel not sell what it is offering clearly and without trying to hide the old rooms. I am sure some people would be willing to pay less and stay in those. I would have probably rated this hotel 5 on all points if not for this so humiliating event and what I see as indecency. At a R&C such should not occur.

I have to be fare and say that once we were moved and received the "suite" the rest was very good. The room big and spacious, relatively new and nicely decorated, facing the church at the back, with no noise from the passing train. The bad was nice and comfortable and the shower was reasonable although not great. The staff were friendly and eager to assist. The luggage was carried swiftly to our room and then to our car.

Dinner at the Le Priure restaurant was also very good with a good selections of local wines from Lirac, Tevel and CNdP. The 7 course dinner was certainly a must though too filling for my taste. The service was very good and the price reasonable from a one star Michelin.

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel because the area of Villeneuve-les-Avignon has many nice small breakfast places with amazing fresh food and great coffee.

I would therefore only recommend this hotel if you insist on the room you receive and make sure it is in the same building as the reception. Otherwise find another place and come for dinner only.

Room Tip: Insist on rooms in the main building above the reception and not facing the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Jonathan A
Jean André C, Gérant at Le Prieure Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Sir,
I am happy to hear you had a nice stay at le Prieuré and that you enjoyed the suite where you were upgraded, the service and the restaurant.
Le Prieuré is indeed divided into 3 buildings, two are part of the former « convent » of the XIV and a third one was added in the 60’s.
This is true the 3rd building is not as beautiful from outisde as the old part, however the rooms are renovated, cared and decorated with as much attention as the ones in the old part. They are even bigger and brighter.
As for the train, it temporarily passes more often as the main line is on works so a few trains are deviated on this small one. However all the rooms have double windows to prevent from the noise.
Kind regards
JA Charial

Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel for five nights and loved every minute of it. The staff was tip notch and almost invisible except when you needed something. The courtyard and gardens are magical. Our room was large, luxurious, immaculate and decorated simply and lovely. We only had breakfast at the hotel and it had all the trimmings.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This hotel has so much character to it. Extremely peaceful and well maintained grounds - right across the river from Avignon. The michelin star rated restaurant on premesis was amazing as well - I highly Reccomend!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2013

If you cross over the Rhone and wind up to the charming village of Villeneuve-les-Avignon, you find a wonderful country hotel, minutes from the city. Great rooms - stay in the old part - each with lots of character and many with private patio or balcony, really efficient, helpful staff and a gorgeous pool and outdoor dining area. I wouldn't recommend this hotel out of season but late summer is divine. The restaurant food was delicious with lots of fresh, local ingredients and a great wine list. You really feel that this is a haven from the hoards of tourists in Avignon. I wouldn't have chosen this place, unless a friend recommended it first and it was a great suggestion. Charming little village too with weekly market and some attractive gift shops. Owners also run the world famous Hostellerie de Baumanière so they have good form in luxury hotels.....

Room Tip: Well worth staying in old part of hotel in one of the rooms a bit off the main building
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mac1997
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Le Prieure is a wonderful oasis in a delightful semi-suburb across the river from the busy touristful town of Avignon. The garden is large and restful, the pool is excellent, the room was just fine, the staff friendly and helpful, and the restaurant was absolutely outstanding. We were very pleased to have booked here rather than in the city itself, and discovered that Villeneuve Les Avignon has it's own delightful ambiance - squares, restaurants, shops and a terrific brocante market on Saturday - despite having been absorbed into the fairly urban area around Avignon.

The restaurant was so good that we made a diversion to go there again as we passed through the area a few days later.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple