“Peaceful heaven”

Le Prieure Hotel Restaurant
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We stayed here one night on our journey through the south of France. Beautiful surroundings and room - loved the bathroom. We had both breakfast and dinner outside in the courtyard just next to the lovely garden. Staff was very friendly, since it was a short stay we did not really have time to enjoy all facilities but I hope I will go back soon!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 March 2014

This hotel's photos on their site does not do this place justice. The gardens and outdoor seating area was perfect and the entire setting was exactly what I was looking for on my trip to France. The food was incredible. We tried breakfast, lunch and dinner at the hotel, all of which was amazing. I'd highly recommend getting breakfast in the outdoor gardens. The pool area is also extremely relaxing and the staff is incredibly accommodating, providing us with fruit as we lay out at the pool. We also used the tennis courts on the grounds, and took a taxi into the main town of Avignon across the river. There we found cute shops and great shopping! It was a wonderfully relaxing trip and I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an authentic French experience in the country!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel is situated in the very charming town of Villeneuve-les-Avignon
which is just across the river from Avignon. The hotel itself
provides a peaceful and picturesque environment for all the
guests. The food is simply wonderful and the staff are very
attentive and helpful. It is lovely to spend some time wandering
through the medieval buildings in the area.

Room Tip: Just ask for a room overlooking the pool. Ours was perfect!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I just loved this place despite it's very, very, minor flaws. The staff are exceptionally helpful (maybe the restaurant Maitre De could have a little more "je ne sais quoi") but the garden rooms are wonderfully spacious and the food exemplary (like the prices).

It would be nice to have a film channel if you - like me - are staying for a few days to wind down the day and the breakfast is not particularly inspiring at 25 Euros. All in all though I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I spent a couple of days in this hotel while passing through Avignon. The hotel is well located just outside the old city, and a little difficult to find without a GPS. You will need a car to move around. If you are traveling by car and want to see Avignon and its surrounding, this hotel will suit you.

But, the most amazing thing about this hotel is that it is built from two parts. Two parts means that they have to types of properties. Basically, two buildings. One building is "as advertised" on the web site and can be seen in the photographs and the other building other is an old "60s'" like apartment building for those who are unwary.

My partner researched the hotel and made a booking on hotels.com based on the hotel's web site. The room looks spacious and brand new. When we arrived at the hotel, I was impressed by the surrounding and expected a very nice stay.

However I was dismayed that we were taken to a room in a nearby building (overlooking the pool) which looked like the building my granmother lived in during the 60's of the last century...

Using an old (very old) elevator we were taken to old room overlooking the pool. Frankly, it was shabby and under-decorated, certainly it was no where near the pictures on the web site. Soon there after we noticed that high speed trains were passing right infront of the pool through every few minutes. While the room was clean, and the shower refurbished, it was absolutely not a Relies & Chateau room (See what is advertised at http://www.relaischateaux.com/en/search-book/hotel-restaurant/leprieure#.UkbPA7yevcE).

Soon enough we went to the reception and I was stunned to hear from the receptionist that since we booked though hotels.com we shouldn't complain, that the room was like on the web site (it was not and I showed her) and that there are only 3 trains a day (by the time we were talking two more trains went by and later a few more, and we are talking about high speed trains).

Since I wasn't about to continue arguing, I told the receptionist to give us what we reserved or just refund our money and we will go somewhere else.

After discussing this matter with her manager we were upgraded to a suite. I must say that I didn't ask to be upgraded. The suite was located on the other building above the reception and the 1 Michelin star restaurant the hotel boasts.

From that moment on wards the stay was superb. The only question is why? why did we have to go through this ordeal. Why does this hotel not sell what it is offering clearly and without trying to hide the old rooms. I am sure some people would be willing to pay less and stay in those. I would have probably rated this hotel 5 on all points if not for this so humiliating event and what I see as indecency. At a R&C such should not occur.

I have to be fare and say that once we were moved and received the "suite" the rest was very good. The room big and spacious, relatively new and nicely decorated, facing the church at the back, with no noise from the passing train. The bad was nice and comfortable and the shower was reasonable although not great. The staff were friendly and eager to assist. The luggage was carried swiftly to our room and then to our car.

Dinner at the Le Priure restaurant was also very good with a good selections of local wines from Lirac, Tevel and CNdP. The 7 course dinner was certainly a must though too filling for my taste. The service was very good and the price reasonable from a one star Michelin.

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel because the area of Villeneuve-les-Avignon has many nice small breakfast places with amazing fresh food and great coffee.

I would therefore only recommend this hotel if you insist on the room you receive and make sure it is in the same building as the reception. Otherwise find another place and come for dinner only.

Room Tip: Insist on rooms in the main building above the reception and not facing the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Jonathan A
Jean André C, Gérant at Le Prieure Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Sir,
I am happy to hear you had a nice stay at le Prieuré and that you enjoyed the suite where you were upgraded, the service and the restaurant.
Le Prieuré is indeed divided into 3 buildings, two are part of the former « convent » of the XIV and a third one was added in the 60’s.
This is true the 3rd building is not as beautiful from outisde as the old part, however the rooms are renovated, cared and decorated with as much attention as the ones in the old part. They are even bigger and brighter.
As for the train, it temporarily passes more often as the main line is on works so a few trains are deviated on this small one. However all the rooms have double windows to prevent from the noise.
Kind regards
JA Charial

Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel for five nights and loved every minute of it. The staff was tip notch and almost invisible except when you needed something. The courtyard and gardens are magical. Our room was large, luxurious, immaculate and decorated simply and lovely. We only had breakfast at the hotel and it had all the trimmings.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This hotel has so much character to it. Extremely peaceful and well maintained grounds - right across the river from Avignon. The michelin star rated restaurant on premesis was amazing as well - I highly Reccomend!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Villeneuve-les-Avignon
Hotel de l'Atelier
#8 of 68 in Avignon
Hotel Restaurant Les Cedres
Hotel Restaurant Les Cedres
#6 of 6 in Villeneuve-les-Avignon

Been to Le Prieure Hotel Restaurant? Share your experiences!