“Nice, but still a walk to Avingnon”
Review of O'Cub Hotel

O'Cub Hotel
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Booked as part of a cycling tour.

Hotel was clean, staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included and was quite nice on the top floor with a nice view. Our room was quite large and would accommodate more than just the two of us easily. Security was fine.

A couple of things to consider about this hotel:
1. there is no lift/elevator -- only stairs. If you have mobility concerns, this is not for you as there are no rooms on the main floor (as far as I saw)
2. the hotel is in neither Avingnon nor in Villeneuve-les-Avingnon -- you must walk/bus/bike/taxi to the attractions. Avingnon is not far -- just a walk across the bridges which gives you a good view of the "Avingnon Bridge"

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel on a tour through France. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful - but it couldn't make up for the terrible accommodation.
The rooms smelt of strong cleaning products, you could barely turn around in the shower and the bed and pillow was at least 20 years old.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We only stayed at Cube Hotel for a short time, but we found it nice and friendly.
The location is perfect, and we enjoyed the view of the Palace and the river from our room so much. We must say this hotel fits all who like to simple but fashionable place but intend to pay less on accomodation. Our room was cosy, possibly all others have the same size, but was quite enough.
The hotel is not located in the main turisty area, but close to everything that you might want to see in this beautiful town of France.
The staff is very friendly and always available for any kind of help.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side have beautiful view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Cube hotel in mid August - when the hotel rate is high everywhere. The staff very friendly and helpful. I didn't have time to send review soon after I stayed and quite honest very surprised to see negative review on this hotel since.
I think 9 euro breakfast was quite good especially taking it on sunny terrace looking down Rhone. It was not stern "traditional French" i.e. only coffee and Croissant and baguette. They had boiled egg and ham cheese to go with it.
There is no lift in this hotel so if you cannot cope with climbing stairs, this is not the hotel for you.
Yes it is 20 min.walk to old town but there are bus service you can hop on. I thought it may be dangerous to walk back to hotel after bus service finished but there is some camping site between 2 river so the bridge was fairly populated with the family pedestrians I felt fine walking. Though not sure if I would enjoy the walk in winter + raining days!

So because of the distance the hotel gives you a good rate, it is easy to work out. The room is not the one you find in 5 star hotel but clean and functional. If you are not happy with these factors, yes you can stay in the old town paying almost double price for similar room...

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 27 December 2012

I was traveling alone and didn't want to pay too much of two nights stay at Avignon. Prices were high everywhere so I decided to pay little less and get hotel outside of the city. At least it advertised that it's a nice walk to Avignon old town. It is not a nice walk. Especially when it's dark and raining. You need to cross two bridges and it's quit long walk, especially when you have done sightseeing on foot.

Staff was nice and hotel room clean and very comfortable. Good selection tv-channels. There was a hot water problem on the evening I arrived, so they need to come check my bathroom twice, when I was trying to relax, so that was disturbing. But they fixed it eventually and I was able to take hot water bath.

There is railroad at the back of the hotel and light sleepers might get irritated of the noise of the trains, but I didn't mind. There weren't trains very often. No other noise from outdoors. The door of the room must be very thin, because I was able to hear all the noise from the corridors when people going up and down to and from the breakfast room. And people can be very noise at 7 am morning. They didn't mind that some of us might still want to sleep.

Breakfast was 9 euros and for that quality it was super expensive. No warm dishes like eggs or sausages. Just plain bread, fruits and yoghurt. Definitely not worth of 9 euros!

If you don't mind doing some walking or you have a car, this is a nice hotel to stay. But when walking with backpack, I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Single rooms are have a bathtub and river view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 November 2012

This is a small, inexpensive hotel and the services are typical of such a hotel.

The staff was great, helpful and friendly. They offered restaurant suggestions and assistance in making reservations, which we truly appreciated.

Some of the Rhone side rooms do not have a much of a view. There is a train that runs on the other side of the hotel. We did not hear it on the Rhone side, but when outside noted that the trains are relatively quiet.

I would stay here again if I was in the region and needed a good place to spend the night.

Room Tip: There is no elevator. One floor is accessible without many (any?) stairs. If you have accessibilit...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2012 via mobile

We came by car to see the hotel and didn't stay. We leaved to closest Ibis.
This hotel located in at the backyard of some Vietnam restaurant. It is potential to a very noise rooms.
We looked at the best room with a "Rhone view" and it was poor, small and not refurbished. All hotel seems to be abandoned and miserable, cheap and not welcome.
We didn't stayed there inspite of late time and just drive to closest IBIS, that was much better, but it will be another review.

• Stayed: October 2012
olive30400, Gérant at O'Cub Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2012

Dear Sirs,
I am very surprised that some potential guest who havn't stayed in our hotel may post a such comment. I assume totaly the fact that the hotel environement is far to be the nicest place to be. Actually, we are working with our Maire of the town hall to renovate the sight. Regarding the hotel, your point of view is not correct. Rooms have double glazing and facing the Rhône river and the Pops Palace for some of them, there are small but have al the confort (Flat tv, minibar, free wifi) and full of color. We have a nice terrace and a nice reception in the 70' style.However, as far as I remember, I welcomed you nicely and you have been arogant and unpolite even after given you a nice rate at the front desk. You were laughing in the stairs about the Cube !!! According to the other comment wich I take the opportunity to give a warm thank you to all the members who have stayed with us, I have founded your judgement unfair and totaly not thrue. Keep going to Ibis and denied the small independant hotel, you won't be deceived anymore, it is the same hotel room every where
With my best regards
Olivier TEIGELL
Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Villeneuve-les-Avignon
Hotel Restaurant Les Cedres
#1 of 69 in Avignon
Najeti Hotel la Magnaneraie
Najeti Hotel la Magnaneraie
#3 of 6 in Villeneuve-les-Avignon

Been to O'Cub Hotel? Share your experiences!