“Friendly and central”

Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Brive-la-Gaillarde
Shefford, United Kingdom
“Friendly and central”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We stopped for one night here and enjoyed a lovely meal in the restaurant. The staff, especially the receptionist were extremely hospitable and friendly. The hotel is central and within easy walking distance to the centre. Although the room was basic and beginning to show its age - it was large and comfortable. Good value for money in a lovely area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emacdwilliams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stopped for one night at Chapon Fin, amazing location right in the center of Brive, we got the chance to be a walk away of everything and after a nice day we had a lovely dinner on the therase. We were surprised that the staff was really friendly and helpfull and we loved the relaxed atmosphere that surounds the place. Good food, clean and user friendly rooms, and very good wifi connection. We found it to be the best place for a night in Brive at an affordable price and good services.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alice B
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I have nothing but good things to say about Le Chapon Fin. The staff were fantastic; the lady on reception was very professional and helpful, the manager was warm and generous and the level of service from the staff exceptional. The day before we found Le Chapon Fin my car had broken down and the Rescue Service had put my family and I up in a horrendous hotel, lacking any form of hygiene. We checked out of the hotel and into Le Chapon Fin the following day. The family room was clean and tidy and we were offered much needed refreshment straight away. The following day the Manageress on hearing our plight offered us the family and neighbouring double room for the same price, helped with the recovery service and advised us on activities and places to eat. It reminded me why I love France so much; making a great end to what could have been a disastrous end to our holiday.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dalu P
Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

Arrived in searing heat after a long motorbike journey. The receptionist ( I believe her name was lena) was exceptional. She got us a bottle of ice cold water without even being asked and ensured the air conditioning was turned on. She also made sure our bikes were parked in the best place. She informed us that as it was a Sunday most restaurants would be closed and gave us directions to those which were open. The hotel is conveniently located. The room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was self service and the staff were friendly and helpful. Good value for money. Only niggle was the radio in the breakfast room playing pop Muzak. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Bonniebeard
Paris, France
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We had a very comfortable room, we were able to open the windows to allow sunshine in, the room was also very private. Hotel staff were very cooperative and promptly removed a fold- away bed when requested. The continental breakfast was very good! Highly recommend this place if you're looking for a nice hotel with great service and not to spend too much time indoors!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gergely K
summerland, ca
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Yes, that's "lit punaise" in French and they did not want to give me any money back for my stay of 2 nights. After much conversation, the desk clerk finally took off one night, but not the taxes or service fees, complaining that 65 Euros is so much money (the price of one night), to which I pulled up my pant leg and asked her the price of the bed bug bites! We enjoyed the restaurant the first night, but nothing after that.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Brive-la-Gaillarde hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Apart from the unmistakable smell of cigarettes permeating into the room from somewhere, the hotel room (a double) was unmodernised but perfectly clean and the ensuite, apart from carpet on the floor, was good. The hotel was relatively easy to find from the train station - about a 10 minute walk - but is on a main thoroughfare, so there's traffic noise early in the morning. I couldn't open the window in my room and the shutters were closed so there was no natural light and I had a bit of claustrophobia as a result. There was a small wardrobe in the room and a small desk. Free Wi-Fi was unsecured. The bed was uncomfortable and I wouldn't have wanted to have spent more than a night on it. The pillows are best described as lumpy - it was as though 20 pieces of roughly cut foam were sown into a pillow case.

Lots of noise from other guests going up and down the stairs late into the night and early in the morning. It seemed a place for business travellers.

Breakfast was plentiful and there was the added bonus of fresh Limousin raspberries. There was one of those horrid coffee machines instead of fresh brewed though and the guests cut their own bread, meaning hands all over the loaf, which I didn't think was hygenic.

Although the staff were helpful, I wouldn't say that they were friendly. I also had to wait for over 5 minutes to pay the bill as there was no way of attracting their attention to the reception desk.

Overall, it suited my purpose of a stopover on my way further south but I wouldn't be hurrying back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo