“A visit to the Hackenberg Fortress”
Review of Ouvrage Hackenberg

Ouvrage Hackenberg
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Thionville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This attraction is worth every penny. Both myself and my husband enjoyed our visit here. It is worth knowing to turn up for 14.00 as the visitors are divided into groups for the tour and we had a friendly English speaking guide who was very knowledgeable about the fortress. It was fascinating to go into the tunnels and see the different areas preserved as they were at the time of the war. The highlight was the ride on the underground train. You need to dress warmly for this visit as the tunnels are cool. Also be aware that there are no toilets once you have left the entrance. There is the original service lift to take people up to the blocks who cannot manage stairs.

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I went with a group of people and had a great time. I studied history in college so this was great for me. We had a tour guide who spoke English and she was very helpful. I really enjoyed going on the roof and watching them operate the turret. Definitely worth seeing.

1  Thank MontaukTFD
Reviewed 12 June 2014

A jewel of a historical fort in the middle of nowhere France. First leave early to try and find it. Look at the driving directions on the website. We toured on a weekday and had an excellent English speaking guide. There is an extensive collection of arms and uniforms in the fort. The tour includes a ride on the munition train and demonstrations of the still operational turrets. Well worth the trip!

1  Thank JohnTSanAntone
Reviewed 2 June 2014

If you can manage it, you must visit this place. They have 'refurbished' the fort and you can go through on foot and on small rail cars to have a look at it - it's huge and all under ground. There are 10 kilometres of tunnels with dormitories, kitchens, hospitals, ammunition stores, etc - I was gob-smacked at the size of it.

1  Thank MrPurser
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I emailed for a tour and was told we could join the English group. When we arrived we were placed in a French speaking group with pieces of laminated paper. It's very dark inside and difficult to read the information given. Luckily we had a flashlight and finished reading the section in less then 5 minutes. Because we had no idea what was being said we would take some photos and waited to move on. It made the tour seem incredibly long and it ran over 2.5 hours. The inside of the bunker was pretty interesting however. There was a lot historical items in the bunker. I would not recommend this for older people because it is damp inside and there is a lot of walking. There is no bathrooms and you cannot turn around to leave the group.

5  Thank chewie0315