“Gorgeous b an b !!”

The Swan Hotel Whalley
Ranked #1 of 1 Whalley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Iv just stayed overnight in the most quaint b an b, lovely helpful staff, the most lovely room, and a tasty breakfast this morning!! After reading some negative reviews on here I would like to say I totally disagree, this hotel was perfect for me. I had read about noise levels on a Saturday evening but again I don't agree, I didn't hear a thing and slept like a log!! All round lovely stay!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Had a meal and drinks in here over the weekend with the wife. On the whole it was a pleasant enough visit. We found the menu quite limited but what we did have was decent enough pub food, but nothing to rave about.
I would have scored our visit 3 stars (average) but the extremely attentive and pleasant service received just tipped it to 4 stars.
Will return for drinks but will probably skip the food.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Ate here over the weekend with my family.

The pub is conveniently located in the centre of Whalley and is clean and nicely decorated, clientele is a mix of drinkers and diners.

There were no tables free in the restaurant area so we sat in the pub part which was fine. Service was very friendly and very efficient, all our food and drink orders taken at the table which was a plus.

The food was great, our mix of burger, lamb, roast beef and fish and chips were all delicious, piping hot and very reasonably priced, empty plates all round!!

Great value at just over £50 for the four of us including 2 rounds of drinks.

Great value, great quality pub food in very pleasant surroundings. We will visit again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Hi to everybody in the Swan in whalley and the station in Clitheroe who are owned by the same people
I have stayed at the Swan and at the station full time since April 2013 to February 2014 due to my business in the area . I will have to say it was like home from home from the beginning . Management and staff are excellent and also never had a bad meal in either hotels.i found both hotels to be extremely accommodating and nothing was ever a problem .rooms are kept very clean and always hot water available As I am coming to the end of my stay I want to publicly Thank everyone in both hotels as I was treated like a king .Thanks to Gary ,louise, Simon & steph and all those lovely staff you have and also to the kitchen staff in both hotels . Your food is fantastic. best of luck to everybody in the future .
Regards seamus from ireland

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We visited the restaurant after visiting at nearby hospital , we were hoping for steak as on the menu it stated to see special board for steak, we found none we asked to be told that the menu and specials were for time of year, Scott I opted for gammon hubby went for cheese and onion pie, the gammon and egg were very greasy and the " chunky chips " we're awful. My husband said he could not taste cheese in his pie he said it was like mash.

Overall very disappointing and not good value.
And the French mustard in sachets were out of date by 5 month iI brought this to the bar mans attention, he took them but I would have thought he would have checked the other tables, but didn't.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Miamarke99
LouClough, Owner at The Swan Hotel Whalley, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

I am very disappointed and perplexed with your review. Having discussed the issues with the staff on duty at the time of your visit, they are very surprised that you were unhappy with your meals as nothing was left on the plates and when asked if everything was OK at the time of paying the bill, you happily paid up without any hint of a problem! I fail to understand customers who say nothing at the time and give us no opportunity to put things right for a genuine complaint! There was no need for you to have left our premises unhappy with your meal - and then post a public criticism. Our polite staff asked if everything was Ok and yet you said nothing.

In defence of our food, steak is available for pretty much 11 months of the year - it has been taken off the menu for December only, in favour of our festive specials. Our food is fresh and our fridges are full of Turkey! Our chunky chips are freshly cooked and a firm favourite - perhaps you were just adamant not to enjoy them as they didn't come with steak. Your accusation of our Gammon and fried egg being greasy - well, they are fried....in oil!
With regard to the Cheese pie - this is made fresh by our chefs throughout the week and is crammed full of cheese! Mash is added at the time of making to ensure that the pie doesn't totally collapse across the plate when it is cooked and served. Having watched our chefs serve cheese pie this afternoon, I can assure you that as the pie slices collapsed across the plate, there was a very high cheese content!
Your last complaint regarding the sachets. I'm presuming that you did not stay in our premises for the remainder of the day and evening? How could you possibly know what duties our staff carried out after you left? For the record, they did check all the sachets in the containers on the tables and also the boxes stored in the kitchen - removing anything out of date. You managed to complain about the sachets but not the food!

I'm sorry that you were not happy with your meal but cannot emphasise enough that you should of pointed this out at the time of eating or paying and given us the opportunity to put it right instead of leaving a public review. We cannot alter that for ourselves but hopefully you will take our comments on board for future and save another establishment the embarrassment of an unfair and very public slaying.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Goodness, I have stayed in a lot of little places in my time, but never been received with such disregard. Whether I stayed or not seemed of little import to the staff, the manager was more interested in pinging elastic bands at his friends than looking after customers. I asked two little questions to the nice girl who showed me the room, which she had forgotten all about when I asked a bit later if she had an answer. The toilet had not been cleaned and was stained from a previous customer. Some man started noisily counting coins, presumably from the fruit machine or bar takings in a little room opposite mine at 10:30 at night. Breakfast was basic cheap sausages and cheap bacon, at least the cook was friendly.

I won’t be swanning around here again.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank Iain K
LouClough, Owner at The Swan Hotel Whalley, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

What a bizarre review - totally out of context with previous reviewers who have praised our staff for their friendly and attentive behaviour. Clearly, on the evening of your stay, from the thousands of customers we serve, they decided to single just you out for the special treatment of apathy and disdain!

Actually, our staff found your behaviour to be quite odd - your attempts to coerce them into serving you free drinks made them nervous and I have found your comments to be grossly unfair and not a clear and concise version of events at all. The staff did answer your questions and even went out of their way to organise an earlier breakfast for you - not the actions of an uncaring team!

The manager you describe had finished his shift and the "friends" were actually other guests staying the night. The man counting the change was the other owner and we don't see how he could be described as disturbing you when you were already acting very suspiciously pacing the exterior of the premises. In fact, he had questioned your presence as you made him nervous also with your odd actions.

Our breakfast offering is much more than bacon and eggs and as we use local farm produce, it could not be described as cheap. As your other comments cannot be relied upon to be a concise version, I doubt the comment regarding the cleanliness of the room.

All-in-all, not a successful visit and we're glad you won't be "swanning back".

Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Stopped off in whalley for a quick bite to eat and found this place warm, friendly, clean and inviting with a nice open fire. Food was homemade and great value for money. Good choice of real ales on tap. Will be back soon!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
LouClough, Owner at The Swan Hotel Whalley, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you very much for your nice comments - especially as we have just carried out some refresh work in our premises. Our staff always strive to please most of our customers and it really motivates us all when we hear positive feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whalley
The Old Posthouse Hotel
The Shireburn Arms
The Shireburn Arms
#2 of 4 in Clitheroe
The Avenue Hotel at Brockhall

Been to The Swan Hotel Whalley? Share your experiences!