“June, few tourists means a nice relaxing lunch”
Review of L'Orange Tree - CLOSED

L'Orange Tree
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I really liked this restaurant. Food was good, we had the plat du jour on two occasions and both were very yummy. The staff were nice, though some have better English than others but generally their English is far better than my French!

This might also be an odd thing to review but after some of the ghastly Aires, so far this restaurant has the best toilets I have seen in France. Ladies, you will know what I mean!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We visited this restaurant after a gap of over two years since our last visit. We were made welcome by a lovely young waitress but found the two front of house blokes, ? owners a little strange and unfriendly. Being asked if we had a reservation is fair enough if the place is busy but it was not and they seemed to be doing it to make a point. Perhaps we were labelled as tourists as a warmer welcome was given to other groups who the the two seemed to know.

We all ate a la carte. The foie gras was said to be good quality and my eggs in a pot with wild mushroom was tasty. One down point is that it was served while we were still enjoying an amuse bouche of a cold courgette soup.

This was followed by two delicious steaks, served with ordinary frozen chips. Indian gambas (prawns) with a spicey dipping sauce and a magret de canard which for its a la carte price was underwhelming and overcooked. Although its accompaniments were tasty and fresh.

The wine choices were decent and we enjoyed a Bergerac for €17. Desserts were mixed and I'm not sure homemade. The Cafe Gourmand was uninspiring for over €6 and I think that if we returned we would give this course a miss.

Overall glad to have tried it again but think it may be another couple of years before we repeat the experience.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

The staff were very friendly and the service was excellent. Wine list very limited. It was a very quiet evening with only a handful of diners.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Had tried this restaurant before but some time ago and was not impressed, however a few people had said that there had been a change of ownership so we reserved a table for 7 people. On arrival at the restaurant (which only had a few people eating in it at the time) I announced myself to the manager/owner and said that I had booked a table for 7 He said quite loudly for all to hear 'No it was for 6 I have written it down!!" he then proceeded to show me the reservations book . I really felt quite embarrased by his attitude and excused his bad manners by replying that it was probably my accent that had confused the booking!! It was a Sunday evening with many available places in the restaurant, there really was no need for his actions.I felt like walking out then but remained for the sake of my colleagues The food was dissapointing and mediocre (great though if you like lashings of tasteless frozen chips!!) There is much better value and quality elsewhere in Gourdon I will not be going back to L'Orange Tree

Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Good , tasty and value for money. Staff is professional at some points but covers lack of attention with smart talk as well. However still the balance is on the positive side. Would eat here again for sure :)