“Don't believe the bad reviews!”
Review of Michel Bras

Michel Bras
Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in Laguiole
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, View, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
london
“Don't believe the bad reviews!”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

After reading some of the extremely negative reviews it was with some trepidation that I booked for the restaurant and hotel (see my separate review). Well from the very first moment my wife arrived service was exemplary, courteous, friendly... Charming even! My wife and i had the legume menu which has to be for two people, noticing my disappointment at missing out on a meat course a meat course was added without any fuss. The meal was certainly up to three star Michelin standards although I would have to admit not as good as "el Celler do can Roca" but then what is? As for the snide comments on the tired shabby 1992 decor this just was not true, all of the areas were immaculate and not tired at all, obviously some people are just looking to be negative. This is a restaurant that is well worth the long but stunningly beautiful drive highly recommended.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank milktray

Nieuwrode, Belgium
“A once in a lifetime "must"!”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I dreamed for years about a dinner at the Bras house. My wife invited me for a romantic dinner for my 50th birthday. This was a dream come true...The reception was friendly, reserved but very professional.
We tried the complete menu. The signature dish gargouillou was even greater than his reputation. Lobster, spinache was oustanding. Here we had the best fois gras ever, mallard, cheese etc. ,...the whole meal was unforgettable.
What we loved mosted was the approach form less is more: the best quality ingredients in a simple but tastfull setting. We are looking for an occasion to come back...highly recommended.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Teckel1962
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“absolutely amazing”
Reviewed 14 December 2012

i have been to the Bras reastaurant with mum and dad july this year on my european trip.
i was absolutely overwhelmed by everything. the people that run the place are truly artists.
i cannot recommend this place to you enough. amazing.

• Visited July 2012
Barcelona, Spain
“Hugely disappointing, too”
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We stayed an ate at Bras and as several earlier reviews mentioned, we can hardly believe that what it is supposed to be a three Michelin starred restaurant showed such lack of care and professionalism in its service. The sommelier, while visible attending the rest of the guests through the entire meal, only approached us at the beginning of the menu and simply dissapeared and ignored our table for the rest of the meal. The service was really a succession of unfortunate mistakes: glasses remained unfulfilled for several minutes (on occasions for five or more minutes), the serviettes and knives though dirty remained unchanged for the entire meal (although they told you that the knive will remain unchanged, in one occasion I left the really dirty knive on the plate in order to be changed and the waitress simply took it and left it again on my side) and finally we repeatedly felt that our table was neglected. No effort was also made to translate the ingredients of the plates on spanish or english language. When we asked for a translation, the waiters only repeated on french language the name of the plate and just dissapeared. And the 'missing' sommelier is Argentinian! My wife left half course and also, as me, two entire desserts and we still waiting some interest coming from the service or from the house about if something with our meal was going wrong or if something could be arranged. They simply removed the plates without any interest in knowing what was happening or why they remained partly or even completely untouched. In addition, the meal did not work well with me and I could not sleep for the entire night.

The food, while good it was not memorable. I only found to be really three Michelin food, the Gargouillou and (maybe) the lamb. Lack of flavor on several dishes. Huge disappointment with the desserts. Even the final ice creams were lacking flavor!.

When we were finally leaving the restaurant, we approached the 'missing' sommelier and told him that the dinner did not meet our expectations. He showed a great indifference towards our opinion, as if our disappointment had really no interest for him or for the house.

I regreat to made this review because Bras was so long awaited for me and we planned our entire wedding travel around this visit to Bras. On the contrary, we found the hotel superb, but we went to Bras for the dinner.

• Visited September 2012
24 Thank Ferran M
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“What a disappointment!”
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Having looked forward to dining chez Bras for many years, I was concerned by some negative reviews on Tripadvisor prior to our visit but I hoped we would be lucky.

We arrived at 7.15pm (early for our 7.30 reservation so as to enjoy the spectacular views whilst having our aperitifs) to be told that service did not begin until 7.30. Drinks were apparently out of the question until the appointed time and the menus were not available as they had not been finalised. We sat and waited. The Kirs we ordered when we were eventually offered aperitifs at 7.40 were oxidised. No one asked why mine was untouched or offered to replace it. The accompanying amuse of eggs lightly cooked with butter and cream and then put back in their shells was delicate and delicious but completely overpowered by a thick brown mouillette (soldier). The only other offering, a thin tart of cepes was overcooked (burnt in places) and underseasoned. Our orders were taken. We continued to wait. At 8.20, with the sitting area now almost empty, we enquired about our table to be told that we could have gone to the dining room whenever we were ready!

Le garghouillou, the signature salad of vegetables and herbes with which we started our Menu Balade (191 Euros) lived up to its stellar reputation. Most of the remainder of the menu was unfortunately less successful. Lobster should be lightly cooked but not almost raw as in our next dish; its sauce had a muddy appearance and lacked focus. A thick, brown-crusted, slice of foie gras was not enhanced in any way by its accompanying thick brown puree of licorice and butternut squash which appeared to have been left on the pass for far too long. A couple of slices of challons duck breast served with cauliflower and a sauce of houttynia (a south-east asian herb) and licorice, were chewy and lacked flavour. With the exception of a very tired piece of Fourme D'Ambert, a selection of cheeses were OK.

Desserts started with a coulant - another Bras signature - a biscuit crust completely encasing a hot puree of rhubarb, topped with a strawberry sorbet. Perhaps a little too sweet but delicious. The next dish of blackberries served with a quennelle of yoghurt ice cream was pleasant but I found the the final dessert of milk skin, curds and chocolate inedible.

With the notable excepion of the charming Mme. Veronique Bras, service lacked polish and professionalism. I am usually happy to top up my own glass, but not in a 3* restaurant charging these prices. Our benchmark has undoubtedly been raised by a series of superb meals in Michelin 3* restaurants in Spain, but no aspect of our experience at Bras was not even remotely in the same ball park. What a disappointment!

• Visited September 2012