“amazing”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
dieppe
“amazing”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Must try, and spend the night just to have breakfast, if you decide to go for a walk, don't forget to ask for a "picknick".
People are really nice, friendly and professional.
The food was incredible.

• Visited July 2013

Toronto, Canada
“A Good but not Exceptional Meal”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I preface my comment by noting that we have eaten in a few two and three star Michelin restaurants and many one star restaurants. We have found that on occasion, the food in a one star can rival the three star food but generaly the overall experience of three star cannot be matched. The staff and service is perfect both in performance but also in making one feel welcome. It is the entire experience of the evening, not just the food, that separates a three star from a one or two star. In the other three stars we ate in, the maitre d'hotel was fluent in several languages and went out of his way to ensure each guest was welcomed. Being Canadian, we have been made to feel welcome by questions about our country or our travel in France. We noted that they deliberately formed a relationship with each guest making them feel like they were special and belonged. In several instances in a restaurant of this calibre we were first invited into a lounge used to consult with the staff on the menu selection and on appropriate wines before we were led to the allocated table for the evening. At Bras we were just sat down at our table and handed a menu to choose for ourselves. No one bothered to talk to us or welcome us except in the most perfunctory way.

The food in Bras was excellent. Each dish was visually stunning, many looking so much like works of art that it was a shame to disturb them to eat them. The use of vegetables was interesting though ultimately I must confess that lightly blanched, very fresh celery still tastes like celery to me (sorry!). However, the dishes were generally beautifully presented and showed an incredible maximization of the flavours of fresh mainly local ingrediants. While the food was good, I would say we did have several meals at lesser restaurants in our two and a half weeks in France that had better food that cost a fraction of what Bras cost.
The restaurant space itself is stunning with a wonderful view of the valley below and the use of hard and soft materials in the space that is eye catching. There is a small artificial creek running down the side of the restaurant. We loved the architecture which was perfect for the location.
Where we found Bras wanting was in the overall atmosphere. We found that the service was very stiff and very formal without much warmth or sense of welcome. Unlike other three star restaurants we have been in, no one was prepared to really say anything much to us in English (or in French although they may have concluded we would not understand it), even though it was obvious we were struggling with some of the French on the menu. No one bothered to smile or welcome us in any way beyond sitting us at our table. There was no sense of good humour displayed and I left with the impression that the whole place was quite full of itself and needed to relax a little for the benefit of its patrons. In conclusion, while we enjoyed a fine meal, it was not the highlight of our trip that we had hoped even though the cost was triple that of many of our meals.

• Visited August 2013
5 Thank Cankenjan
london
“Don't believe the bad reviews!”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

After reading some of the extremely negative reviews it was with some trepidation that I booked for the restaurant and hotel (see my separate review). Well from the very first moment my wife arrived service was exemplary, courteous, friendly... Charming even! My wife and i had the legume menu which has to be for two people, noticing my disappointment at missing out on a meat course a meat course was added without any fuss. The meal was certainly up to three star Michelin standards although I would have to admit not as good as "el Celler do can Roca" but then what is? As for the snide comments on the tired shabby 1992 decor this just was not true, all of the areas were immaculate and not tired at all, obviously some people are just looking to be negative. This is a restaurant that is well worth the long but stunningly beautiful drive highly recommended.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank milktray
Nieuwrode, Belgium
“A once in a lifetime "must"!”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I dreamed for years about a dinner at the Bras house. My wife invited me for a romantic dinner for my 50th birthday. This was a dream come true...The reception was friendly, reserved but very professional.
We tried the complete menu. The signature dish gargouillou was even greater than his reputation. Lobster, spinache was oustanding. Here we had the best fois gras ever, mallard, cheese etc. ,...the whole meal was unforgettable.
What we loved mosted was the approach form less is more: the best quality ingredients in a simple but tastfull setting. We are looking for an occasion to come back...highly recommended.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Teckel1962
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“absolutely amazing”
Reviewed 14 December 2012

i have been to the Bras reastaurant with mum and dad july this year on my european trip.
i was absolutely overwhelmed by everything. the people that run the place are truly artists.
i cannot recommend this place to you enough. amazing.

• Visited July 2012