“Good French Restaurant”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Had a table booked last night for 8.30pm. By the time we got there they were fully booked and we were the only English which is always a good sign.

Hubby had the 'offal' type sausage with veg, and I had the fish in sauce, both of which were pretty good. For starters I had snails in garlic sauce and he had scallops, both again very nice. Desserts were also good. With a decent bottle of wine came to 77 euros which was good value.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

First impressions weren't great insofar as we showed up at 6.45 for a 7.00 booking only to be borderline shooed away and told to come back later. And then when we did I'm not convinced they could find our booking but they didn't seem fazed.

We were shown downstairs which is obviously the original medieval basement and the atmosphere and ambience was great.

Service was a little slow to start - I think we waited at least 10 mins before we were offered drinks - and they weren't cheap; a half-pint glass of Belgian beer was about €4.75, if I remember correctly.

I ordered a fish salad starter and I was very impressed - big portion, looked great and was extremely fresh and tasty. They also have snails in the entree menu :-)

The main menu wasn't huge on choice to my mind, and nothing jumped out at me so I played safe with steak and chips. The steak was small to average but was nicely cooked and juicy and tasty, with a good choice of sauces. Generous portion of fries which of course the French do very well.

Dessert was heavenly. A crispy chocolate macaroon in a smooth rich chocolate sauce, with ice cream. I tried to savour it but failed miserably and it was gone in seconds.

The waiters were energetic and friendly and had a very good energy about them -- charmed all the ladies, were very good with the kids, and had some banter with the men - deserving of a generous tip.

The bill for 5 of us (2 adults, 3 kids), including drinks, main courses, puds, and a starter for me came to €120.00 + tip which given the tourist-trap location was, to my mind, very good value.

Recommended, overall.

1  Thank jimmyd_cambridge
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I ate here on a cold winters night after visiting the Christmas Market. The restaurant is bright and welcoming with a busy buzz about the place. The proprietor was friendly and the service was excellent. I had Tilapia in a lovely sauce and it was superb. It was accompanied by rice and vegetables and I was extremely surprised to find one of the vegetables was parsnips which are extremely rare to find in France. The rest of the menu seems to have a flemish flavour to it.
The tables are close together which adds to the ambiance with the clientele being a mixture of ages and nationalities.
I will definetly return here when next in Arras

Reviewed 12 December 2013

We were staying in La Grande Place and after visiting the Christmas Market (very good), looked for somewhere nearby on a wet & windy night. We were attracted by the bright decor.
The service was friendly and at all times helpful. There was not much on the menu to appeal to us, nor did the fare for the day on the blackboard. The cuisine has a slightly flemish accent, stews in beer and Belgian style soups -not our favourites. The Foie gras was excellent, desserts quite good. The prices were reasonable, given the location and wine by the glass presented a reasonable choice.
It isn't our kind of place, but in the absence of anything better nearby,we found it acceptable.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We were in Arras for 2 nights. We ate here the first night but made the mistake of eating somewhere else the second night. We enjoyed our meal so much, we talked about going back the following evening. We did not and we regret it.

We were attended quickly and graciously. The server was very patient with our limited French (although she knew enough English, she allowed us to practice our French). I had the Flemish beef stew, my husband had the Cheek of pork with mustard sauce, our daughter had the La salade du cht'i, and our son had the Cheddar with ham and egg on top. We were incredibly please with all our meals. Yum, yum, yum!

Like I said, we wish we'd gone back the following night. Great food and great prices. On the street between the two squares.

Highly recommended.