“Peaceful and moving”

Ranked #1 of 49 things to do in Arras
More attraction details
Owner description: Faubourg-d'Amiens Cemetery is in the western part of the town of Arras in the Boulevard du General de Gaulle, near the Citadel, approximately 2 Kms due west of the railway station. The GPS coordinates for the cemetery are 50.28670, 2.76057
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This cemetery is close to the centre and walk-able, although it is near a park and ride car park. The memorial names seem to go on forever. We only dashed in because we were going elsewhere but lingered amongst the names and the graves , remembering a lost generation from everywhere in Britain, the names came from all over the country. We forgot where we were dashing to and stayed to look at the beautifully cleaned and restored carvings. Our attention was caught by John Harrison VC from Hull, a rugby league player of some note, with no known grave. If you are in Arras don't miss this, it is well worth the time and effort finding it, as a reviewer has previously said it is not well signed. Well done CWGC, the cemeteries are looking magnificent with their restoration for the 2014-2018 commemorations.

1  Thank carolv119
"lives lost"
"sir edward"
"the car park opposite"
in 2 reviews
"plenty of free car parking"
"young lives"
"moving place"
"new zealand"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Husband and I visited this memorial on a cold, sunny morning in February. It's extremely well looked after and very moving, especially when you realise how young most the men were when they died.

1  Thank llamacalmer
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I visited the cemetery and memorial with 15 adults that I was guiding on a battlefield tour. The CWGC do a superb job looking after the cemtery. They have a challenging job with the names on the memorial. Many names are virtually impossible to see.
We visited 9 old boys from Queen Mary's Grammar School, Walsall named on the walls of the missing.
This cemetery is not well signed posted so plan your journey through Arras. It is located by the citadel. It is only a 5 minute drive to the Carriere Wellington. At the bnack of the citadel is the Mur des Fusiliers. A must see. Moving and sad.
It is possible to walk to the cemetery from the centre of Arras but it will take you 30 minutes ish..

2  Thank prhlichfield
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The war graves are beautifully kept and it's a very thought provoking place. I was surprised how long we spent here - the time just seemed to pass by but it was so interesting. If you get the chance to go, you will be touched by the care and attention the graves still receive - a very humbling place.

See more reviews
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I visited Arras in 1992 .I had been told of a great uncle who had been killed in action in 1918.The cemetery is a little way out of the Town centre, but is well signposted and is an island of serenity off a busy main road.
The maintenance of the site is immaculate and full credit to the CWGC staff who maintain it.
The books kept in lockers at the side of the cemetery enable to you trace a grave if known.
I returned in 2008 and it was still as beautiful as in 1992.I also took a day trip to Albert by train, which is close by.From there you can visit on foot some of the battlefields of the Somme.
As I walked around the battlefield at la Boiselle, the weather changed from bright sunshine to sleet, snow, driving rain and then sunshine again,all in the space of 1 hour.It brought home to me how lucky I was,that within an hour I could be back in Arras, in a comfortable hotel with a bath, and the prospect of a good meal in the evening.it made me realise what my great uncle and his mates went through.If you have any interest in World War One, this is the perfect area to visit.

1  Thank chrisv5101