“Nice Meal, ok experience.”
Review of La Rapiere

La Rapiere
Ranked #42 of 178 Restaurants in Arras
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Montreal, Canada
“Nice Meal, ok experience.”
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

Nice restaurant, but for a Saturday evening, I thought, quite empty and lacking in ambience and atmosphere. As I'd gone there with my elderly mother for a quiet meal, La Rapiere probably did the trick. A choice for an evening out with friends, hmmmmm, not sure.

The food was good, and the service not bad at all, and friendly. Some lingo difficulties, which added to the experience, but not in a bad way.

Would I eat there again? I guess, yes I would, but might be keen to try somewhere more lively next time.

I've given La Rapiere a "3" above, but that's only because it didn't allow me to insert half scores. It's really a 3.5, as in fact it is an above average establishment.

Visited July 2013

Ghent, Belgium
“Good price/quality ratio”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

On Monday evening, not many restaurants are open in Arras.
La Rapière was one of the few who actually were open so we chose this one.

The waiter is a friendly guy and it is true that you get peanuts, sausage bread and bad (or cheap?) baguette as a starter but the other courses were actually very good price/quality wise.

The white house wine tasted OK but should have been a bit colder to my opinion.

As a starter, I had a specialty from the region: a pancake filled with ham and béchamel sauce. Nothing to complain about.

Then I had Flemish carbonnade… a lot. My boyfriend had to help me to empty my plate. The – what should be French – fries were unfortunately pre-cut frozen fries and that’s a shame for a restaurant. It only takes a few minutes to peel and cut a potato yourself and the fries are so much tastier and healthier. The mayonnaise on the other hand, was surely homemade and really delicious (a shame to “waste” such good mayo with such fries)

A typically French thing is that we got cheese after our meal. There was plenty of choice and the portions were satisfying.

I finished off with a chocolate mousse that was - again - very good.

So all in all, getting 4 courses (in big portions) for less than 30 EUR seemed very good to me.

I would recommend this restaurant for people visiting the city centre of Arras.

• Visited June 2013
Woking, United Kingdom
“YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We ate here as the last night of our road trip. We have visited many time before and this meal was well up to standard. The maitre d' has been in charge for many years, speaks excellent English and always extends the warmest of welcomes. Popular with locals as well as tourists.

The location is excellent, right on the Grand Place. Inside, the rooms are well lit and pleasantly decorated, although a fresh lick of paint in places would not go amiss. The underground room is superb.

The fixed price menus are good value at all levels. We ate from the "gourmand" at €32 and enjoyed it immensely. Wine is not cheap but there is a house alternative available by the carafe if you prefer. The biggest surprise was the lack of cheese. We have previously found the restaurant cheeseboard to be first class but this time it was missing entirely. A shame really.

I recommend this restaurant to all our friends and will continue to do so. I commend this to all Trip Advisor readers.

• Visited October 2012
Calais, France
“La Rapiere Restaurant, Arras”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Had lunch at this restaurant. Great staff, service - good choice on the menu. I don't know anywhere else you'd get a two course meal in such a fabulous setting for just over £10. Check out the cellar while you're there - just ask to see it - vaulted celings - stunning and a glass door to the Boves, the underground network of tunnels that run underneath Arras. I only didn't get it excellent as the decor is a little tired inside - sit near the window and you can see the wonderful Grand Place, one of the largest square in Europe - surrounded by gabled houses - brilliant.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank JanineM511
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
“Very slow service - food good”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Had a Sunday menu here. Plenty of choice and the food was good. However the service started well and then got slower and slower and slower. Plates left on table for ages, no sign of waitress for bill or to pay, Better places in Arras.

• Visited September 2012