“La Rapiere again”

Dining options: Reservations
Camberley
“La Rapiere again”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We ate twice at this restaurant during a battlefield tour - once as a group of five, and again as a party of 23 for the last night dinner. I have eaten here many times before on battlefield tours. As a party of four, the food was pretty good and we were not charged for our aperitif (presumably as we had just booked for 23 people for later in the week). Food was its usual good quality (but possibly not as good as the price might suggest) and the cheeseboard is excellent. Menu is characterised by regional specialties (flan de Maroilles - a local cheese, andouilletes etc.) My friends had Andouillette (x 2) and cod whilst I had Ris de Veau (sweetbreads) The sweetbreads were plentiful, but in a very rich cream sauce, which I found hard to finish.
For our last night dinner we had a set menu of Flan de maroilles, Pork Cutlet and dessert plus (rather mediocre) wine and coffee - all for 30 euros

• Visited June 2014

London
“Really not that good and very expensive”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Service was friendly and very welcoming but sadly that is where our experience ended. The food was average to poor - starters good but over priced and a main which disappointed on every level. I am not sure what the owners class as fillet steak but this resembled a piece of shoe leather which was gristley and thoroughly unpleasant to eat (the horrors were covered in a sauce which was very tasty). A friends duck had barely seen a pan and despite him liking it rare, this was still quacking and gelatinous. Wine over priced and poor quality: our bottle was left on another table and no one would serve us so we had to get it ourselves. We declined dessert as enough was enough and paid a huge bill that left us wondering why we ventured in to this place. Definately one to avoid at all costs!

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank FrenchSnail
Paris
“Correct, but you can find a better place”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We had dinner over there a Saturday night. The place was empty.
The people and the service are nice and OK.
The decor is not so bad in my opinion, I expected worse.
The food is definitely correct, but not what you would have expect.

• Visited November 2013
UK
“They Did Us Proud”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I took an English group of 44 here for dinner. We were offered an attractive pre-selected menu (3 choices per course) for Euros 28.50 including kir, wine and coffee. We had 5 people with dietary issues who were extremely well cared for by the helpful manager (who speaks excellent English). We ate in an ancient vaulted cellar - great atmosphere. Service was excellent (contrary to previous tripadvisor reviews which had worried me a bit) despite a full restaurant upstairs. The food was outstanding - nothing was cold, portions were generous, and the flavours were superb throughout. None of my party of experienced travellers had any complaints, indeed they were full of praise. Having organised many group meals, I was extremely impressed by the whole experience. I would certainly take a group there in future, and if I am in that part of France with my wife I would happily make a detour in order to enjoy their outstanding regional cuisine.

• Visited October 2013
Montreal, Canada
“Nice Meal, ok experience.”
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

Nice restaurant, but for a Saturday evening, I thought, quite empty and lacking in ambience and atmosphere. As I'd gone there with my elderly mother for a quiet meal, La Rapiere probably did the trick. A choice for an evening out with friends, hmmmmm, not sure.

The food was good, and the service not bad at all, and friendly. Some lingo difficulties, which added to the experience, but not in a bad way.

Would I eat there again? I guess, yes I would, but might be keen to try somewhere more lively next time.

I've given La Rapiere a "3" above, but that's only because it didn't allow me to insert half scores. It's really a 3.5, as in fact it is an above average establishment.

Visited July 2013