“Will not stay here again, poor value”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel de l'Univers

Hotel de l'Univers
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Arras
chepstow
“Will not stay here again, poor value”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

I was expecting far better given this hotel is a Best Western & room price. The check in was simply awful - the person at reception was rude & kept saying I did not have a reservation whilst answering the phone a few times & looking through various piles of paperwork covering the desk; finally after some patience my reservation appeared. I was the told to forget eating in the restaurant because it's full....OK then. The room I had was an 'upgrade', though after a few minutes there clear to me that it needed some investment & simple upgrades, for example:
a/ There is no aircon or even a desk/pedestal electric fan; room was very hot so had to open the windows, parts of the wooden window frames were rotten. Other downside here is that you get a lot of noise coming into the room from the courtyard area.
b/ Bathroom should have been cleaner and the soap dispensers were empty
c/ Curtains were starting to rip & did not close properly
d/ Connecting to Wi-Fi is complex

I will not stay here again, it is expensive & poor value for money. This hotel needs investment in several areas, shame really given the character & charm of the building. Try elsewhere in Arras would be my advice.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank fivesheds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Darlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

We have stayed at L'Univers on several occasions and always enjoyed the experience. Finding accommopdation in the area was extremely difficult due to every hotel between St Quintin and Arras being full I think we got the last room and were allocated 120. First floor, next to the staircase and the 'femme de manage' storage room was virtualy opposite. If have this room and you want a lie in after 7.00am forget it.
Service at the bar was impossible, we gave up and walked into town. Wifi exists but we were unable to connect during our two day stay.

Room Tip: Avoid being nbear the staircase or lifts
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

An immaculately clean room and helpful and friendly staff. Whilst the food was obviously of a good standard English translation of the menu would have helped as our (Lovely,hard working) waitress didn't have enough english to explain it and my french was limited too ! i had 2 courses based on the 1 word I understood and didn't like either! Nevertheless this said I would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: ask for a room that does not over look a roof.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Wiltshire UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

A very comfortable hotel only ten minutes walk from a wide choice of restaurants. I had an excellent, quiet room, despite a wedding reception elsewhere in the hotel. It is difficut to access if you arrive in a coach but no problem for motors. The staff were quite charming.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

This hotel is quite historic and was once a monastery, then a hospital and now a hotel. We chose the cheapest rooms for economy reasons but they were nicely decorated, very clean and very comfortable. The restaurant is excellent and we had one of the best meals of our trip here. The prices are reasonable too. The wine list is impressive but it includes lots of very decent wines that won't break the bank. The sommelier is first-rate and she offered to take us for a tour of the wine cellar after her shift ended, even though that turned out to be around midnight! If you are travelling by car don't forget to ask in advance for a parking spot - they are limited.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 985canadatraveller
kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

The last time I stayed at this hotel was 10 years ago. On this occasion The lady on the reception desk was far from welcoming and was more intent on getting my brother in law to move his car, as we had not reserved parking in their courtyard (recommended). We did get parking but at a cost of I believe 14 euros per day. The hotel itself has plenty of character and whilst my room smelt of cigarette smoke (I think you have to request a non smoking room), I spent a comfortable night. Arras is a great place to visit and this hotel is ideally situated. We did not eat in the hotel as there are plenty of good restaurants within easy walking distance. I would certainly stay here again despite the unfriendly lady behind the reception desk! Breakfast was worth having.

Room Tip: Non smoking if you do not partake!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank miffyKent
LONDON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

We stayed 1 night before Calais-Dover crossing. The reception was cool to say the least. We were told we had to eat in the restaurant even though there was no vegetarian food on the menu, so having left our rather shabby room with gurgling pipes we went into Arras. What a lovely town, we found a lovely Italian restaurant (quite expensive) and enjoyed a good meal. The buildings of the hotel are delightful and I wanted to get hold of it and have someone return it to it's former glory. In Spain it would be a wonderful Parador. However tired as it was inside if the reception and staff (1 member) had been friendly this would have been a kinder review. You must book parking if you don't want to leave your car on the street.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple