“Still a good choice”

Najeti Hotel de L'univers
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Arras
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

Second time here and still very pleased with everything overall.ok the place has some small cosmetic problems but it has a bit of character too,the bedroom was bright and clean and dinner in the restaurant was really good....special mention for the escargot Mille feuille...and a very good wine list too.would have no problem coming back a third time.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Najeti Hotel de L'univers

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights on a demi-pension basis via Great Escapes on the hottest weekend of the year. Arriving on the Friday in 36C heat we were a little disappointed that even the public areas were not air conditioned. That said, it was still much cooler inside than out, although our otherwise very pleasant room on the first floor was hot at night. We had the windows onto the courtyard open and did get some disturbance at 3am by what appeared to be staff dragging furniture about, but it didn't last long and Reception in the morning said they couldn't understand it. Our room was of modest size, but nicely decorated and had a big, modern bathroom. We were pleasantly surprised to find tea/coffee making facilities, although we had to go out and buy English Breakfast teabags, as those provided were flavoured. We had pre-booked parking space in the courtyard, as the hotel is right in the centre, and we felt even at 10E/night, it was worth it.
We were astonished how quiet the hotel was on the Friday night, with only two other couples dining, and we accepted the offer of alfresco dining in the courtyard, rather than be on our own in the restaurant. Our package included the lowest menu at 26E, but we paid a supplement to choose from the far superior (in our opinion) 39E menu. The wine list went from 36E to 500E, but we asked for a house wine (not listed) and were offered a very palatable Cote du Rhone at 26E. I had a couple of beers before at 7E a pint, which is not bad for France. The food was very good and nicely presented - quality rather than quantity.
The breakfast buffet was surprisingly extensive for France, with bacon, scrambled egg, boiled eggs (DIY) cold meats, cheese, fruit, cereals,yoghurt, various breads (and a toaster) & croissants.
There was a large wedding party on the Saturday, but it did not impact in any way upon our experience. We opted to eat inside on Saturday night, as a thunderstorm was brewing, and the restaurant became quite full, but service was still good.
The location was brilliant for exploring Arras, being only a 5 minute walk from the central Grande Place, with its huge Saturday market and historic Boves (cave system used in both World wars - tours available)

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I was glad that I chose the Univers Hotel instead of the higher rated Ibis, Mercure or Holiday Inn. Furthermore it's much closer to the old part of town. The hotel has much more charm because it's in an old Jesuit monastery (that said, I'm sure a large portion had to be rebuilt after the war).

I had room 102 which was a decent size with space between twin beds, a desk, footstool and chair. The carpet was navy so it was hard to tell if it was stained but the room was freshly decorated. The beds were comfortable and the bedding of good quality (duvets and soft sheets). Even the towels in the bathroom were a decent size (instead of the usual postage stamp) although they could have been thicker. There was no minibar/fridge but there was a small kettle. There was a small hanging cupboard but it had no shelves inside so there was no where to unpack clothes unless you could hang them up nor was there a safe which was inconvenient. The bathroom was large with a sink and a large sink surround to put toiletries on and a bath and loo. The room doesn't have air conditioning and although I tried to keep the room as cool as possible (using the shutters etc) it was still very warm at night. Sleeping with the windows open was essential but the noise from other hotel guests in the courtyard was astonishing and not helped by the fact the sound echoed around the courtyard. I didn't eat in the hotel because at 16 euros a head it seemed expensive and instead we walked to the Grand Place (5 minutes walk) and had a very nice breakfast of croissants, orange juice, hot drinks, bread, butter and jam for 6.50 euros. The staff were friendly and answered my emails promptly. Good value for 91 euros per night.

Room Tip: If it's hot then ask for a room that doesn't face the courtyard.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Dining room and ground floor of hotel, good. Breakfast excellent. Rooms in urgent need of updating, decorating and new carpets. We stayed in a Charm room. Excellent centre for visiting the area of the Somme. Would not revisit.

Room Tip: Some rooms have sloping ceilings, not good if you are more than 5' 4".
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Barbara J
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Let's start with the positives:
This hotel is situated in the heart of the pretty town of Arras and it is an absolutely stunning building probably from the mid to late 18th century. Rooms are well appointed, relatively clean and spacious.
When I say "relatively" I mean there were numerous stains on the carpet, about forty. The bed was very comfortable and the linen and pillows first class. The price of Euros 121 per night booked on Booking.com was also fair.

The negatives:
If you want to park your car in the relatively small car park which is the forecourt of the hotel BOOK IN ADVANCE. I made the mistake of over-looking this and after a journey of 350 miles arrived to find no space. This was my omission. There was ample on street public parking close by and at 4 euros per day a bargain in my mind.
The staff on the desk didn't speak great English, I was waiting in the car double parked, and my wife doesn't speak French. The outcome was a breakdown in communication. I ended up finding my own parking. It was the attitude of the desk staff that really riled me. Icebergs are warmer. Reminder: this is a service industry and there are plenty of more welcoming hotels out there.

THIS HOTEL IS NOISY. THE UNIVERS IS NOT SILENT. Simple fact. We kept our widows open as it was quite hot (no air-con) and the noise emanating from the court-yard come car park is astounding. I am amazed how thoughtless some people are when arriving late at a hotel. Car doors slamming, boots of cars opening and closing, wheeley cases being rattled around on the cobble stone paving. Peasants (for this is the true meaning of the word) shouting in loud voices. What didn't help was that we were given room 111 which is on the first floor above the main entrance. This is a disabled room, no issues here although there isn't a door in the wash area of the bathroom The above noises are NOT the hotel's fault it's the fault of rude ignorant late arriving guests. Around 2am someone went running down the corridor banging on doors. Some more drunk peasants? Again not the hotel's fault (we guess).

What IS the hotel's fault (and I do not accept any excuses here), is the kitchen staff taking massive bins out through the courtyard at 11pm at night. Yes 11pm possibly even later. Even with windows closed you would hear this racket.

The Excuses:
When we checked out at 11am the following morning I was accosted by the Manager of the hotel Veronique Maslon. who in no uncertain terms made it clear that my responses on her company's survey had not been to her liking. Tough! If you don't want criticism then don't ask for a feed-back. I've just got back to London where we live and I've been thinking about our conversation this morning Mdme. Maslon.
1. Forgetting to book parking was my fault, but your staff should have been more helpful.
2. Bins being wheeled out at 11 pm due to the council wanting the bins out first thing in the morning? No. True reason your kitchen staff end late and wheel bins out when they knock-off. If the case is as you say, then you need to sort this out with the comune (council) ASAP or no one will get any sleep in front facing rooms.
3. When approaching guests on check out please do not start the conversation with an 'aggressive open litigation', diplomacy often works better. I didn't like the tone with which you talked to me in the beginning of our meeting, plus it may have been better to discuss these issues in your office as opposed to the 'open forum' of the front desk. My wife was so embarrassed she walked out.

The conclusion:
I shall not be staying at your hotel again. Thanks for the kind offer this morning of improved service, but no thanks.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking court yard
1  Thank Savagemushrooms
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed in Arras whilst visiting the Fauberg -Amiens Cemetary where a relative of ours is named on the memorial wall.The hotel is just a kilometer or two away from the site so made an excellent base; it was formerley both a hospital and a monastery and is a very interesting building.
I find it easier to list the good and not so good aspects as follows:
Good points
The staff- all were very helpful and friendly without exception.
Our room- was clean and the bed was comfortable with super pillows.
The food- breakfast was plentiful and very good. Dinner in the evening- whilst not exactly up to the 'haute cuisine' standard advertised, the food was nice and the ambience very pleasant.
The courtyard - well placed chairs and tables (well away from the parked cars) made for a very enjoyable place to sit.

Not so good points
Although our room was clean and comfortable it overlooked a flat roof which in places was quite dirty with several cigarette butts strewn about, it did not make for an agreeable vista.
The toilet and bathroom arrangements- were quite bizzarre! They were two separate rooms, the toilet a comparatively big space, contained just a (very high) toilet- my feet did not reach the ground when sitting on it! No wash basin or handwashing facility of any sort; these were situated in the bathroom next door which had TWO washbasins side by side and a shower. The shower taps have been mentioned in previous reviews and I would second these comments, I would also like to add that the floor of the shower made the whole structure an accident waiting to happen- so slippery that we used the shower mat and another towel to ensure we didn't slip over.
The plumbing especially in the toilet at times sounded like a waterfall and was very difficult to stop as the flushing mechanism was of the pull up push down variety and quite temperamental.

Overall we had a very pleasant stay at the hotel and Arras is an interesting town; if we visit this area again we will certainly stay at Hotel De L'Univers.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

The hotel was a little difficult to find in the back streets of Arras. It has a lovely large cobblestone courtyard but not for parking the car. The room was nothing special and in need of an upgrade, but at least it was quiet and overlooking the courtyard. The bathroom was spacious and had excellent lighting although the shower taps were quite a challenge to work.

The dinner was very definitely not good - the fish was bland and tasteless. There were very few staff helping in the dining room at breakfast, so it was difficult to have items replenished which had been taken by previous hotel guests.

Summary: For a place to stay: average. For the food: not a good experience with dinner or the breakfasts.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple