“Great Breakfast...Uncomfortable Bed”

Holiday Inn Express Arras
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Arras
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Arras when I was visiting some World War I cemeteries, as well as Vimy Ridge and Beaumont-Hamel. I had selected the hotel because of the positive reviews on Trip Advisor.

The Holiday Inn Express in Arras is conveniently located across the street from the Arras train station. Unfortunately, we did hear the train as it went by throughout the night. This hotel is also close to a Hertz Rent-A-Car location.

The staff were friendly, and were patient in putting up with my rudimentary French. I think that had I wanted to switch into English, they would have been willing to do so, but given that I persisted with my attempts to communicate in French they were accommodating. I appreciated that.

The rooms were basic and clean. I found the bed to be uncomfortable, which resulted in a restless sleep. The bathroom had a stand-up shower – no tub. The shampoo and hand soap were only available through a dispenser, as opposed to individual use containers.

One interesting thing that I liked about his hotel was that they had a kettle in the room, instead of a coffee maker. I thought this was fabulous, because I didn’t have to make tea with a coffee maker (as is typical in North American hotels), and then put up with coffee flavored tea.

I was very impressed with the complimentary breakfast at the hotel - fresh croissants, pain au chocolat, baguettes, deli meats and cheese, cold cereals, fresh fruit, etc. They also had hard-boiled eggs, or there was a station where you could hard boil your eggs to taste. They also had a station where you could fresh squeeze your own orange juice.

A few lessons for the North American traveller to France…. We were unable to find anywhere in the rural areas to buy flowers to lay at the graves. If I were to do the trip again, I would go to Arras first. The hotel had crosses of remembrance and poppies that were available for sale/donation. There was a vendor near Grand Place where you could buy flowers.

We had a difficult time finding anywhere to eat lunch, while we were out visiting the World War I cemeteries and Vimy Ridge. When we arrived at the hotel in the late afternoon starving, we asked about places to have supper. While the hotel made some good recommendations, what we failed to understand was that at that time of day, the restaurants were either closed or only open for drinks. We ended up settling for a meal at a Lebanese type restaurant.

One other thing to keep in mind is that on checkout there was an €0.80 charge per person per night. We had prepaid the room, so this charge came as a surprise. I don’t really understand why there was this charge, so be warned.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank TravellingShopper18
ch-ansart, Directeur général at Holiday Inn Express Arras, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a review. We appreciate that.
We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay despite the beds you thought uncomfortable. The comfortness of a matress is a very personal appreciation, and it is very rare that some clients thought the beds are not comfortable at HIEX Arras. We are sorry to know you are one of them.

Concerning the tax, it is a city tax (0.8€ per adult per night) collected by the city to promote tourism. Children sharing the adults' room do not pay it.

We hope to see you again,

Very best regards,

Charles-Henry Ansart
Directeur

Reviewed 24 February 2012

My special request to be away from the lifts in a quiet room was met. We had a large room - plenty of room for the four of us. The bed and pillows were comfy. We didn't stop to eat the breakfast but there was a good selection. Instead we took away a few croissants for the train journey to Paris. The hotel is next to the train station but I couldn't hear any train noise in the hotel. (Paris is only 50 minutes away on the TGV - you can book tickets online for this.) Car parking is 10.50 euros per night which I was happy with. Overall ideal location, fantastic room and friendly/helpful staff. I would definitely stay again.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
ch-ansart, Directeur général at Holiday Inn Express Arras, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Dear guest,

Many thanks for your review, we hope to welcome you again.

Very best regards,

Charles-Henry Ansart
Directeur

Reviewed 22 December 2011

As a tour guide, I often have need to stay in Arras and always enjoy the Express by Holiday Inn. I expect a nice place to stay and I am always satisfied. When you find something good, stick with it. Nice clean comfortable beds. Excellent sheets and pillows.

Room Tip: Just ask. No ask, no get.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Steve D
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Four of us have just come back from a 3 night stay at this hotel. Was a great deal to start with, with the extra night free. We stayed because of the Christmas market.

The hotel was very clean and the staff were very friendly. It was very easy to find and the parking underground was ideal, with the hotel giving a special rate for day parking. Security is very tight and the doors are locked shut at certain time of night, but access is easy by ringing a bell. Security cameras are also in operation so you always feel safe. Breakfast timings were good with a long period, allowing you time to get up and relax for breakfast instead of rushing down before it closes. Breakfast is continental only.

Location of the hortel is ideal with the railway station immediately across the road (you cannot here the trains in the rooms) and the centre is a short walk away.

Only down sides we found were
1) Only continental breakfast and no hot food, although this was good for us;
2) tv was limited for english channels, but we didn't go there to watch tv and
3) the surrounding area was predominantly closed at this time of year (nothing to do with the hotel!).

So basically, a great hotel, great staff and would recommend the stay

Room Tip: We stayed in the rooms on the courtyard side and found these to be very well sound insulated and ver...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We visited the Somme and stayed here for 2 nights. It was easy to find, the car parking arrangements could not have been easier and the Staff were very friendly and most helpful. Our rooms were immaculately clean and the bar service and breakfast facility were excellent. Strongly recommended and we'll be back.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Went there with a group of roughly 80 people. Parking was obviously not an issue but there are tons of parking lots around the hotel. The hotel is conveniently located across the train station and within walking distance of very good restaurants. Room were comfy and free Wi-Fi was available thoughout the entire hotel. Breakfast was offered and we were able to choose from a wide selection of cold pastries, cereals, meats as well as boiled eggs. Coffee of all kinds as well as orange juice were also offered.

There is a small area were you can sit down and enjoy a drink before and after going to town, although the drinks were a bit pricey. Staff was really pleasant during our stay and the hotel was quiet for the number of people. Being a group of 80 people all having the same timings made the hot water disappear quickcly but beside that, very good stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We truly enjoyed staying at this hotel in Arras. We particularly welcomed the air conditioned room we stayed in because the weather was unseasonably hot at the time of our visit. Also we were in France to visit Vimy Ridge and found this hotel to be an excellent choice. The staff at reception were extremely helpful to us and spoke very good English which we really appreciated as we do not speak French well. Rene and Elise were the two who helped so much and we thank them. Breakfast was included and very nice. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Having a room with a sofa is very nice as too many hotels just have one chair. Ours had a nice sofa.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple