“Good hotel, nice room, but breakfast can better”

Holiday Inn Express Arras
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Arras
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Good hotel, nice & clean room with everything You need. Excellent for a city trip. But breakfast can be much better. The cheese available was a bit molded on the side: this is not exceptable! Breakfast is on weekends till 11 o'clock. We arrived at 25 minutes pasted 9 o'clock so more than 1 hour and a half before closing time and there was only 1 breakfast-bun left. When we asked the staff for a refill of the basket where the breads schould be, they said: we don't have anymore. That's also not exceptable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Staessen
ch-ansart, Directeur général at Holiday Inn Express Arras, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review and what you think about our hotel.

About your breakfast experience: I talked with breakfast department. They remember you, and said we do not have "baguette" anymore. that is true. A group just before your arrival at breakfast was very hungry and took almost all the baguettes.

Our bread is fresh every morning, and during holidays, it is difficult to make a new order to the baker and get some bread quickly. that is why our staff, unfortunatly, said it was not possible to serve more baguette.

Indeed, there were other sorts of bread.

We are very sorry for this matter, and we hope we will see you soon for another stay in Arras.

Very Best regards,

Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed here overnight en route from Chamonix to the Eurotunnel. The hotel is easy to find as it is next to the railway station, and there is a large underground car park directly accessible from the hotel. The hotel is in good condition. It's unexciting in itself, but with a a few restaurants nearby, and many more a couple of minutes walk away around the main squares it is an ideal overnight stopover. We'll use it again on our next trip.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2012

excellent as a stopover to/from the Channel (although parking is not the easiest!)...great welcome...pleasant hospitality...friendly but small bar (cider only 2.5 euros per bottle!)...relaxed breakfast with a homely atmosphere. Thank you

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I've given up staying in smart Hotels on city breaks. If you are going somewhere to check out a place why spend all your cash on a bedroom? If you are going out all day and eating & drinking out all night there is no point at all in spending 3 times the price of these chain hotels if all you want is a bed for the night in my view. The Holiday Inn in Arras is nothing special to look at or move about in but it is clean, comfortable, well located in Arras with parking right underneath. It's down near the Railway station so about 5 minutes walk from the two main town squares. The price included breakfast and was very god value for money. You will want to take your own soap and stuff as the amenities are pretty spartan. I don't need to talk too much about the Hotel as there isn't much to say, it was fine. The bed was comfy, I had a good sleep. I have no complaints.

Arras as a place to visit is OK. It has very nice large town squares with a good selection of bars and cafe's around them. The shopping is pretty good for this part of France. The real reason for visiting this area is the Somme Battlefields and Memorials. Many within easy reach of course but you will know that if you are looking at visiting the area. Arras is about 1 hour's drive from Calais and as good a place as any for some a quick bit of cafe and wicker chair action on the continent if you are in the UK and fancy a change of scenery without driving too far. There are a good handful of Supermarkets about and plenty of nice places to eat. We had a dinner at 'Le Domaine de Chavagnac' which is as good as any restaurant I have eaten at in France. Its a south west cuisine specialist so lots of duck & Fois Gras.

All in all feel I got good value for money and no complaints.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sandysviews
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Arras when I was visiting some World War I cemeteries, as well as Vimy Ridge and Beaumont-Hamel. I had selected the hotel because of the positive reviews on Trip Advisor.

The Holiday Inn Express in Arras is conveniently located across the street from the Arras train station. Unfortunately, we did hear the train as it went by throughout the night. This hotel is also close to a Hertz Rent-A-Car location.

The staff were friendly, and were patient in putting up with my rudimentary French. I think that had I wanted to switch into English, they would have been willing to do so, but given that I persisted with my attempts to communicate in French they were accommodating. I appreciated that.

The rooms were basic and clean. I found the bed to be uncomfortable, which resulted in a restless sleep. The bathroom had a stand-up shower – no tub. The shampoo and hand soap were only available through a dispenser, as opposed to individual use containers.

One interesting thing that I liked about his hotel was that they had a kettle in the room, instead of a coffee maker. I thought this was fabulous, because I didn’t have to make tea with a coffee maker (as is typical in North American hotels), and then put up with coffee flavored tea.

I was very impressed with the complimentary breakfast at the hotel - fresh croissants, pain au chocolat, baguettes, deli meats and cheese, cold cereals, fresh fruit, etc. They also had hard-boiled eggs, or there was a station where you could hard boil your eggs to taste. They also had a station where you could fresh squeeze your own orange juice.

A few lessons for the North American traveller to France…. We were unable to find anywhere in the rural areas to buy flowers to lay at the graves. If I were to do the trip again, I would go to Arras first. The hotel had crosses of remembrance and poppies that were available for sale/donation. There was a vendor near Grand Place where you could buy flowers.

We had a difficult time finding anywhere to eat lunch, while we were out visiting the World War I cemeteries and Vimy Ridge. When we arrived at the hotel in the late afternoon starving, we asked about places to have supper. While the hotel made some good recommendations, what we failed to understand was that at that time of day, the restaurants were either closed or only open for drinks. We ended up settling for a meal at a Lebanese type restaurant.

One other thing to keep in mind is that on checkout there was an €0.80 charge per person per night. We had prepaid the room, so this charge came as a surprise. I don’t really understand why there was this charge, so be warned.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank TravellingShopper18
ch-ansart, Directeur général at Holiday Inn Express Arras, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a review. We appreciate that.
We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay despite the beds you thought uncomfortable. The comfortness of a matress is a very personal appreciation, and it is very rare that some clients thought the beds are not comfortable at HIEX Arras. We are sorry to know you are one of them.

Concerning the tax, it is a city tax (0.8€ per adult per night) collected by the city to promote tourism. Children sharing the adults' room do not pay it.

We hope to see you again,

Very best regards,

Directeur

Reviewed 24 February 2012

My special request to be away from the lifts in a quiet room was met. We had a large room - plenty of room for the four of us. The bed and pillows were comfy. We didn't stop to eat the breakfast but there was a good selection. Instead we took away a few croissants for the train journey to Paris. The hotel is next to the train station but I couldn't hear any train noise in the hotel. (Paris is only 50 minutes away on the TGV - you can book tickets online for this.) Car parking is 10.50 euros per night which I was happy with. Overall ideal location, fantastic room and friendly/helpful staff. I would definitely stay again.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
ch-ansart, Directeur général at Holiday Inn Express Arras, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Dear guest,

Many thanks for your review, we hope to welcome you again.

Very best regards,

Directeur

Reviewed 22 December 2011

As a tour guide, I often have need to stay in Arras and always enjoy the Express by Holiday Inn. I expect a nice place to stay and I am always satisfied. When you find something good, stick with it. Nice clean comfortable beds. Excellent sheets and pillows.

Room Tip: Just ask. No ask, no get.