“Cuisine francaise de qualite [French cuisine and quality]”

restaurant de la haute ville
Price range: US$25 - US$49
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Arrived here on a thursday evening, after many hesitations on other restaurants around where the menu were all expensive for few in the plate and too pretentious [ being French I know what I m talking about] we ended up in this one. and it was just fab. The waiter was just friendly and nice and helpful, and the food, oh the food.! After 3 years spent in UK, yeah, right I know..:) it was wonderful to taste again proper French food. The foie gras poele was just superb, the sea food was fresh and the filet of beef was so tender that I didnt have to cut it. as for the dessert, profiteroles au caramel de beurre sale was gorgeous and my creme brulee was heaven. I will return , that s for sure and I dont understand the bad reviews I have read. MAy be it s because British people don t share the same passion for food like us. Having said that, my companion is British and thoroughly enjoyed the food too. Une place a ne pas manquer a Boulogne, car la cuisine est de qualite et l accueil parfait. tout etait vraiment a tomber, de l entree ou les fruits de mer etaient frais , le foie gras poele a se damner avec son pain d epices, le filet de boeuf tres tendre, la lotte parfaite et les desserts . wow. la creme brulee [ devant vous] et les profiteroles au caramel sale juste parfaites. et un tres bon choix de vins aussi . nous reviendrons.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I am absolutely amazed by the negative comments some English people have posted previously on here as our experience was completely the opposite to theirs.
If what one likes is modern distorted plates, bizarre stainless steel cutlery on bare tables, in a soulless restaurant, with affected waitresses in designer black serving pretentious food in bird sized helpings as in some modern British establishments, or one prefers the simplicity of MacDonald's, then this traditional silver service place may seem old fashioned but to say it is awful is unjust. It is in the oldest part of town and the dated building exterior plays no part in the eating experience. If what one likes is modern then one does not pick an old historical area to eat in, and one that suffered enormously from neglect by the authorities over years at that. There are plenty of more modern looking establishments in the lower town, though their attractiveness is disputable too in ugly post war buildings. Silver service is fast disappearing in the UK due to the influence of our American cousins and does not appeal to all, just as table manners are also going out of the window, but mercifully the French still retain some standards. The quaintness and gentility of this old fashioned place is part of its charm.

We had never eaten in a restaurant in the high town as we have family who live in the region, but on this occasion they were not around so whilst showing the old town to guests we opted to eat there at lunchtime on a Sunday, a mixed party of French and English.
We were impressed. Elegantly laid tables with immaculate white napery. Silver cutlery. Shining glasses and attractive china. We liked the traditional décor. Yes, it is a little gloomy on a wet grey day, added to which the cathedral opposite casts a long shadow over what is a narrow street.

Service was swift and pleasant. The smoked salmon and crab 'amuse bouches' were delicious. Starters were well presented and tasty. The fish main courses fresh and well cooked and seasoned , the accompanying vegetables as well. The servings were more than generous: I had difficulty finishing my ray wing. The home made desserts and the sorbets were very pleasant.. Not one member of our party was dissatisfied.

The younger waiter's English is good and the patron was friendly and welcoming. For a refined three course meal the bill was extremely reasonable and half what a similar meal would have cost in the UK, which would have been at least forty pounds per person, not including drinks.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We found Restaurant de la Haute Ville on a wet, windy, cold October evening and it was the most unexpected gift of our holiday – one of our best meals, quite out of the blue. We were staying round the corner at Les Terrasses de L’Enclos and gone down into the town to find a fish restaurant we’d used before, now alas closed. So we climbed back up to the old town and as it was getting late, peered at menus and through windows to try and work out what might be best. Restaurant de la Haute Ville stood out. It wasn't full – but all the diners seemed to be French and local. It looked old fashioned - but in that solid, dependable and deeply French way that so often means really good food. It had two items on the menu I really, really wanted to eat before leaving France the next day. And the two waiters appeared to take such a pride in their establishment and what they were doing, so in we went. And what a find that turned out to be. I had the 38 eu menu, my husband the 19.50. I can’t remember what was the bonne bouche but I do remember we looked at each other and said “YES!”. For a starter I had foie gras with pain epice and 2 chutneys, and what made us glow was the presentation – the sort of attention to detail you tend to get at a Michelin star place. The plate was decorated with a music sign drawn in a jus, those molecular gastronomy sphericals, red currents and physalis – and tasted just fab. The foie gras was perfection - melt in the mouth. My husband had goats cheese on lambs lettuce and crudités. I had, on monsieur’s recommendation, a sauternes to go with it – well, what else should you drink with foie gras? - and it was delicious, and didn't break the bank. Then I had 5 scallops in a tempura style batter with morille sauce, turned courgette stuffed with carrot, tomatoes with pureed potato and a curl of herbed pureed potato which has been sautéed, and leek sprouts on a turned lemon and a turned baby carrot accompanied by a Bourgogne Aligote. All outstanding – the scallops were so fresh and cooked just so – caramelised on the outside but still translucent inside. It looked so beautiful – this is a chef who pays attention to what things look like as well as to what they taste like, and gets it so right on all counts. Perfect. Husband had flatfish frite with the same vegetables – and same absolute freshness to the fish and cooked to perfection. For dessert I had a chocolate profiterole with their own salted caramel ice cream (again, beautiful presentation) and husband had two boule of ice cream – the darkest chocolate we’ve ever seen and vanilla. All outstanding. We finished with café and calva – and the only mistake the young waiter made when he asked if I wanted it with ice. Ice??? Ice???? Good grief, I'm not an American!!! But I forgave him and his older colleague – both were so nice, so willing and helpful, deft and lovely. Cost us 84.70 and was extraordinary value. It’s now a restaurant down on my list – not just worth revisiting if we’re in the area but worth making a detour to enjoy again.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

This is the second time we have been back to this restaurant on a Friday night and whilst it was busy, no booking was required. It is more expensive than many of the other restaurants in the old town, but believe it is worth it. The food and service were both excellent with a good selection on the fixed price menu. We will definitely go back - recommended.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Brilliant little hotel restaurant. Great selection of menus to choose from starting at 20 euros for 3 courses. Recommend the lobster - well worth the 15 minute wait