“Recent mid week stay at the Hotel de la Matelote”
Review of Hotel La Matelote

Hotel La Matelote
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Boulogne-sur-Mer
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We spent one night in a superior room with a little balcony which overlooked both Nausicaa (the national sea experience centre) and the beach. The room was charming, nicely decorated, everything was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We booked the garage which was useful as our car was full of shopping.
We used the pool which is very small and luckily we had it to ourselves. You do have the option to turn on the pool jet to swim against which I did and really enjoyed my swim. However, a few people in the pool would make it impossible to move! There is a good sauna and steam room.
Our evening meal in the restaurant was excellent, it might have been expensive but it was worth every penny - great food, beautifully presented, extensive wine list - the restaurant itself was quite busy and the service was good.
This was the first time we had stayed at the hotel and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: The rooms are soundproofed but if you like to sleep with the window open you will definitely notice...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 February 2013

I spent a night here as a break before driving across France. The superior room was essentially internal, which was a bit of a shame, but was spacious and very comfortable, nicely furnished with an excellent bathroom. I thought it very good value at euro 100. Breakfast was a reasonably good buffet and service of coffee was quick and efficient. The hotel garage is pretty tight if you have a largish car: it might be worth mentioning this when booking as access varies depending on your parking slot. Mine was very tight.
The highlight was dinner which I thought was classic French cooking at its best, beautifully prepared and presented. I was on my own, but the restaurant was busy and cheerful and service very good with friendly waiters.
The best recommendation I can give is that I have told my wife that we will try to find a reason to stay there. It is well modernised but with old fashioned family hotel values in the best possible way.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Our room was too small but, it was our dinner that upset us, the women Manager seemed to take a dislike to us and as a result service was very poor. Our main course was delivered before we had been given the wine list and had to be turned away.
We will not re-visit this hotel.
BEWARE...

The French have the most disgusting way of leaving dogs poo everywhere, take shoes that you can throw away when you go.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank QUATTROCAFE
Reviewed 12 January 2013

One night stay in both a Standard and Superior Room. Worth paying the extra for a Superior which had a bath and a mini balcony. No problem parking just behind the hotel and Boulogne is a really nice town to experience a 'bit of France' but a short drive from ferry/tunnel to UK. Would be ideal to break the journey here in either direction and I will certainly return. Boulogne is a nice town and La Matelote is in a great location - right on the front and walking distance to town and old town, with plenty of restaurants. Fantastic aquarium opposite. Good value, comfortable rooms and, most importantly, really personal service. My wife left her bikini behind and and it was quickly returned by priority post. Spa and mini gym a real bonus although pool and jacuzzi should be warmer. Hotel was really quiet when we were there - otherwise I suspect this facility will be too crowded. V good breakfast. There was a problem with our bill when leaving but (luckily) had the e-mail with me to confirm agreed rate, which was promptly corrected. Highly recommended and where I will always stay if in the area.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AlexFulham_London
Reviewed 23 December 2012

We stayed for our yearly Christmas jaunt to France for shopping etc which is always good in this area but we were not that impressed with our stay here, the room was nice and clean and quiet but the bathroom was terrible there was no window and the extractor fan was not working and the radiator was stuck on full blast, we could not stand it in there for more than a few minutes we reported this and was assured it would be fixed it was not! we stayed for 4 days its very overpriced 12E for breakfast 12E for parking a really expensive restaurant no atmosphere and quite a hike to the centre but there is little or no choice of Hotels in this area.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beamer_bird
Reviewed 31 October 2012 via mobile

Despite Boulogne feeling quite tired since the catamarans stopped their UK crossing route, this hotel is a real gem. Fantastic tasting menu €250 for two person tasting menu with food, 20mins from eurotunnel in Coquelles. The spa, cold pool and jacuzzi are smallish but well delivered.

Classical but well maintained.
Expensive but worth it as a romantic treat.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank RobWtravel
La Matelote R, Responsable relations clients at Hotel La Matelote, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2012

Thank you very much for your review! La Matelote hopes to see you soon!

Reviewed 25 October 2012

I am sorry but I am not going to be able to give you an unbiased review. The reason being is that I really love staying at La Matelote on the grey, green and in some places grim dock front of Boulogne whenever I am visiting Nord pas de Calais.

I was staying with a group who were spread around the town but I was lucky enough to bag the plum spot at Le Matelote, which would be the fifth or possibly even sixth time I have stayed here. I was on the ground floor to the rear of the hotel and the room, though spacious and clean, is not as pleasing to the eye as its equivalent on the first or second floors with a sea view. If possible always try and book one of those to make the stay complete.

With a comfortable bed, a decent desk area to work from and a splendid deep bath I was more than prepared when I sloped into the bar for a delicious and spicy bloody mary before heading off for the highlight of any stay at La Matelote which is the restaurant and chef Tony Lestienne's superb kitchen.

My three companions all had the set fish menu but, having a fish allergy, my set meal had to be entirely reworked. And it was, with the minimum of fuss. Snails, lamb en croute, interspersed with delicious tasting dishes appeared seamlessly, rounded off my a magnificent locally sourced cheese board and some sweet and delicious desserts.

La Matelote is not the place for young people looking for excitement but for those of us who appreciate a warm welcome from reception, a comfortable bed room, equally restful communal areas and Lestienne's fantastic cooking then there really is only one place to stay whenever one is in this part of Nord pas de Calais.

Room Tip: Book a superior room on the upper floors and make sure to reserve a place at the hotel car park if y...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
La Matelote R, Responsable relations clients at Hotel La Matelote, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2012

Thank you very much for your sheer enthusiasm about our hotel and restaurant. We are doing our best to ensure that our guests spend a beautiful time with us and share our passion for food. We love to receive people. We make sure that they spend some good quality time with us. Hope to see you soon. Cheers! La Matelote

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boulogne-sur-Mer
Hotel Barriere Le Westminster
#4 of 21 in Le Touquet – Paris-Plage
Les Jardins d'Hardelot
Les Jardins d'Hardelot
#1 of 3 in Neufchatel-Hardelot

Been to Hotel La Matelote? Share your experiences!