“Charged 3 times and Ibis will not even comment”

Ibis Lille Tourcoing Centre
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Tourcoing
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I will not be staying in any of the Ibis hotels again after this experience. When it came to checking out, I paid on Amex. The receptionist told us that payment had not gone through, we checked the credit card receipt and it said successful in French. The receptionist was forceful in that we had not paid and we were not to leave until we had paid. He tried the card again, credit card receipt said it was successful yet he insisted it was not and demanded cash, we told him we don't have the cash and tried talking to him about why the credit card receipt said successful. He would not let us leave and kept demanding cash. I gave him a Visa card and paid with that, when he knew he was not getting cash, he said payment had gone through.

I've checked my credit card statement and we have been charged 3 times, I've tried contacting Ibis (who dont publish phone numbers) yet they have not got back to me. I've contacted the credit card company and have disputed the payments.

We feel ripped off, clearly the receptionist wanted cash from us DESPITE us paying successfully on a credit card and to make it worse, Ibis will not even comment - my credit card company will get this resolved now.

The room was standard, no different to the budget Ibis hotels. Room was clean but built to a poor standard.

Will not use Ibis again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

I can't comment on this as a stop to explore Lille as I used it for a one night stop-over in my way to Switzerland.

The hotel staff were friendly and efficient. The room was very good, but as other have noted, on a hot summers night even with the window open it can be a little stuffy. What is marking Ibis out at the moment for me is the quality of their beds. They are superbly comfortable and gave me a great nights sleep. To improve, the towels are rather thin, as is the company's Green policy: it's all well and good to tell guests to recycle towels, but then handing out plastic disposable cups in plastic wrappers makes your credentials look poor.

Would come here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 16 November 2012

My first visit to TOURCOING IBIS was as a result of the Ibis Kortrijk being fully booked. I was pleasantly surprised that the apparent chaos and building work on Google streetview is well out of date and the hotel is now adjacent to a shopping centre and underground car park which is very reasonable at 6 euro and very secure. The staff are friendly and some English is spoken in this French/Flemish speaking area, A short walk away is the large piazza surrounded by bars restaurants and takeaways. This is a business hotel and affords the usual IBIS facilities. At time of writing it has not yet received the latest Accor IBIS cosmetic upgrades. Highly recommended. On arrival stop in the bus bay. Nip in for the carp ark code and then unload. The car park entrance is just across the dual carriage way by the gardens.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I often stay in Accor group hotels because they are consistent. You know pretty much what you are going to get before you arrive. I have to say that I was quite pleasantly surprised by this one. The bathroom was not as plastic-y as some, the bed was comfortable and the "non-smoking" room definitely had not been smoked in.
Check-in and out was slick, the breakfast buffet offered all we wanted, and thw whole place was immaculately clean.
We chose to stay in this hotel while visiting the Lille are because it has excellent transport links. It is only 100 metres from the metro and tram which both connect directly to both Lille railway stations and the to the town centre.
The shopping centre across the street has a supermarket and a branch of C&A.
We were pleased with our choice and would return.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel faces a busy road and the rubbish collection is at 5:00am. Try and get a room...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We stayed just one night in late May.
The hotel is in an area of very congested traffic and parking is an issue. However we checked in then returned the rental car so I don't know about overnight parking.
The breakfast is great even fresh squeezed orange juice and a good selection of fruit, breads and such.
The hotel is close to much of what you might want to see in Lille however after dark we found the area a little dodgy lots of students with too much booze on board and many ,many panhandlers. My only complaint with the hotel it's self has to do with the windows.
It was a hot day followed by a warm evening and there is no air conditioning (or at least not that they were willing to turn on) The windows are chained so they only open a few centimeters and no one on staff seemed to know if there were keys and if so who had them. On the other hand there was so much party noise outside that even if we'd been able to cool the room the noise might have been my complaint so there you are.
All in all OK breakfast makes up for a lot in my book and the breakfast is worth it. The taxi fare to the Euro Lille station mid morning was about 12 euros so that's not bad either.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 April 2012

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tourcoing
B&B Hotel Lille Tourcoing Centre
Premiere Classe Lille Nord - Tourcoing
Comfort Hotel Lille L'Union
B&B Hotel LILLE Roubaix Campus Gare
Comfort Hotel Garden Lille Tourcoing
Ibis Budget Lille Wasquehal

Been to Ibis Lille Tourcoing Centre? Share your experiences!