Auberge du Bon Fermier
Ibis Hotels(Valenciennes)
  • Bar/Lounge
Modern'Hotel(Valenciennes)
View Hotel
Hotel Le Chat Botte(Valenciennes)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Le Bristol(Valenciennes)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Le Grand Duc(Valenciennes)
View Hotel
All reviewsporkground floorcharming hotelbreadcroissantswine listrooms are largewould stay againsmall hotelcharactercookingjamenglishstreetbedroomthierrycheese
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for over 30 years and it is still the best in the area, every room has its own appeal, staff and owner are all very freindly, and the food is of a very high standard.
Food is not cheap but you get what you pay for and it is worth a go. Also if you like all the mod cons again this may cause you some problems, hotel is very original and although it has showers etc in some rooms these are not your modern walk in ones and you have to stand in the bath but again i think it is well worth a slight discomfert and I am sure you will agree when you stay in one of these wonderful rooms.

Room Tip: Go for room G or H
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 December 2012

We happened upon this hotel and restaurant by chance whilst staying in Valenciennes on a christmas market tour. We did not book, but the restaurant soon filled up with locals. We were given a warm welcome, and shown to a table in the old stable. The restaurant is full of 17th centuary charm and even boasts an original cooking spit in the old stable part of the restaurant. The staff were excellent, explaining everything (in English). We enjoyed our meal immensely, great choice of wines, and a very relaxing atmosphere. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Although we did not stay at the Coach House we did visit it for our evening meal whilst staying at nearby Le Domaine de La Frenaie.
We were welcomed warmly by a young lady whose English was superb. We had a couple of drinks and were then taken into the restaurant which was formerly the stables. It oozed character and the slow pork spit at the end of the room produced some fantastic flavours. The meal was not cheap by English standards but was incredible. Everything was superbly laid out and presented and the flavours were to die for!
If ever we venture back to Valenciennes we will definately be eating here again and would more than likely stay for the night.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ateasd5941
Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

The hotel is a charming old inn which is lovingly maintained. (Consistent with description in various guides). If you require modern facilities avoid! Rooms to a high standard, with decent bathrooms.very friendly service. Happy to stay on return trip.
Niggles- stairs are awkward if you frail, parking on the street -free 6pm 9am, breakfast basic. Restaurant: food rustic - basic even though fellow travellers thought it OK. Wine list basic, with some of interest.
On edge of interesting town square. In summary, merits a stay.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My husband and I spent one night at this hotel on the way to the south of France. We were hungry and tired and could not find anywhere else to stay. The price of 140 Euro was more than we usually pay but we felt we deserved a treat. We had our dog with us and he cost an extra 10 Euro (this wasn't mentioned when we checked in). He thought he was worth it! Our room was on the ground floor and it was huge and very comfortable. I do not like having to sit down in a bath to shower though - I am sure there are other rooms with proper showers. Breakfast was an extra 10 Euro per person. It consisted of croissants, jam, coffee and juice. I know this is a typical French breakfast but it wasn't really worth what we paid. We ate at dinner at the restaurant in the in the evening and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The service was great, albeit a bit impersonal. The owner spoke good English and he took the time to explain the specials to us. All in all - I would stay at great places like this every night, if I could afford it. (Who wouldn't?) I loved the fact that this hotel was very old with a history and that it had been restored maintaining many of the original features. Can also add that the holder for shower creme and shampoo was empty in our bathroom and this meant my husband had to go to the car to get shampoo for me. Of course I didn't find this out until I was in the shower. I don't expcet things like this to happen in a top quality hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was right on the street on the ground floor. We could hear the people on the street right outside our window but it is only a small town and everyone seemed to go home pretty early so our sleep wasn't disturbed. I can imagine it might be hot there in the summer. The windows only opened a little bit
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple