“Very Good Restaurant”

Ranked #16 of 87 Restaurants in Alencon
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Le Haute Ministere in Alençon is in the town centre. It has the atmosphere of an English pub - lots of wood and leather. The pate de foie gras was excellent as was the entrecote steak. Alex, the head waiter, spoke good English and was most helpful in suggesting the best wines. I certainly plan to return.

1  Thank Chris B

Reviewed 16 April 2014

A really nice restaurant with a varied menu including pizzas with a nice décor, very friendly staff and jazz themed music.

2  Thank traceywFrance
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Le Haut Ministere is fairly central and is just around the corner from the Ibis hotel where we were staying. As we were just on a stop-over heading down to the Loire Valley we were looking for a cheap and cheerful meal followed by a pleasant walk along the cobbled streets of the town centre.

Le Haut Ministere didn't let us down- excellent pizzas and a friendly service and the food on other tables looked delicious too.

There's also an excellent patisserie just across the road if you're looking for breakfast-only a couple of tables but really good quality pastries and in reality its just a joy to be in a french patisserie first thing in the morning.

Alencon is a lovely town, there was a local market the following morning which we stocked up at- and I'd recommend this restaurant if you're passing through

1  Thank BinfieldTiger
Reviewed 25 October 2013

On stopover while travelling through France we chanced upon this little restaurant. Excellent platter of local charcuterie and cheeses.

1  Thank Richard_Sandra2013
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Generally I only write reviews when a place is better than expected or worse than expected. Sorry to say that Le Haute Ministere most definitely falls within the latter category.

I have eaten in dozens of restauramts at all price levels in many, many towns and cities in France. Central Paris aside, in my experience it is extremely unusual to receive a bad meal in France. However, congratulations to Le Haute Ministere - not only did they produce one bad meal but two, and to ensure their place in the French gastronomic gutter they included very slow service and a shockingly aggressive response when I asked for a dreadful burger (well done on the outside and totally uncooked - not "a point" but "bleu" - on the inside) to be removed from our bill.

We had waited thirty minutes - yes THIRTY MINUTES - for our meals to arrive. My wife's burger was as described above. My son's Margharita pizza arrived a full five minutes after our meals and was made without any trace of tomatoe and was limp and oily.

The bad food alone may not have prompted this review, but the unpleasant and aggressive attitude of the owner and his waitress daughter were totaly unacceptable. A polite request deserves a polite response.

I note that this place has received some good reviews so clearly we were unlucky. If you choose to eat there I wish you better luck than we had, but if you do receive a bad meal be prepared for fireworks if you dare to complain.
Bon chance!