“Had a great stay!”

Hotel Le Mouton Blanc
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Mont-Saint-Michel
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We had great stay at this hotel and Mont St. Michel. When you arrive at the causeway, you go to the public parking area, pay 6 Euros, and tell them that you are staying at a hotel on Mont St. Michel. They will give you a code to a gate further down in the parking area which has a sign indicating parking for hotel guests. We unfortunately arrived at about 2:00 in the afternoon when there were many people there, especially on the main street. It was myself, my and husband and our two teenage boys rolling our small pieces of luggage up the street in the massive crowd and it was quite a feat.

Once we made it to the hotel, everything was great. We were standing at the front desk and the restaurant at the hotel which is in the same area was packed with people. The look and smell of the food made us want to sit down and have a meal right then and there. The person who checked us in was very friendly and welcoming. Anytime we had a question about the island, she was very helpful to us. As what seems typical in many of the older hotels in Europe, there was no lift which wasn't a problem for us, but may be for others. The rooms were somewhat small and basic, but that was expected. The bathroom was also small, but updated.

We ventured out and took the tour of the abbey and walked around. It seems as though things started to quiet down around 6:00 p.m. and we could look around a lot easier--a very nice perk of staying on Mont St. Michel. At night Mont St. Michel is lit up and is quite a sight.

The breakfast the next morning was good and the croissants were amazing! We really enjoyed our short stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Togtog

Reviewed 28 July 2011

This is basic accommodation but perfectly ok for 1 night, especially if you're on a budget. We would stay here again. We didn't eat here but the rooms were clean, bathroom fairly modern, good water pressure and good heating. The photos on the hotel's website are a fair representation of what the rooms are actually like. This hotel is actually on the abbey island which is fantastic because you can experience the island after all the tourists leave. We spent the entire night out at dinner and then exploring the abbey ramparts and areas still open to the public after the hoards had gone home, so we really only went back to our room to sleep! For this purpose it's fine. The hotel is easy to find - just keep walking along the only pedestrian road leading from the entrance and look for the hotel sign hanging above the pathway. You can't miss it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EuropeanHoliday
Reviewed 10 July 2011

The room was clean & cute with the wooden beams, the staff was friendly & helpful, and we loved being right on the island!

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I spent one night in a double for single use at the Hotel Le Mouton Blanc, but I almost didn’t, because they locked me out. I had checked in late in the afternoon and had begun exploring the area. After dinner, I walked around for a while, enjoying the beautifully lit ramparts and abbey walls. Being able to do so is one of the joys of staying overnight on Le Mont. When I came back to the hotel a little after 11 p.m., I was shocked to find it dark and locked up! After about 15 minutes of searching, I found a side door that hadn’t been securely locked and I was able to get in. Thank goodness! When I spoke to the person at the desk the next day, I learned that guests are supposed to be told when the hotel closes and given a code that would allow them to enter. I wish I had been told! If you stay here, make sure you get that information.

Also contact the hotel in advance if you plan to drive and park overnight. The hotel will give you a code that you can use, along with proof of your hotel reservation, to park on the causeway above the high tide level.

I was disappointed with breakfast and truly appalled at the breakfast service: The buffet was not particularly extensive, and the server was reluctant to replace items as necessary. That's irritating, but what I found unacceptable was that all the available plates were chipped or dirty or both. When I pointed that out, instead of reacting with surprise or alarm or consternation, the young woman who was tending to the area told me they were all like that and refused to bring me another. When I realized that she was not joking, I noticed a stack of plates under the buffet and started to take one. She literally grabbed it out my hands, saying that plate was for dinners, not breakfast. Another hotel employee entered the buffet area at that time and told her to let me use it. The young woman’s behavior was quite rude and totally inappropriate. Moreover, someone should have made sure that any tableware presented for customers’ use has been properly cleaned, and it should not be so common a situation that a server doesn’t even bat an eye when shown an unacceptably dirty, chipped plate.

BTW, I ate dinner at the hotel’s restaurant the evening before. My meal was quite good, the service was fine, and I had no complaints or concerns about any of the tableware used for that meal.

My room was a small, but pleasantly arranged space: Lots of wood; some small stained glass windows that allowed light while providing privacy; and a small, but reasonably appointed bathroom. If the hotel’s management makes sure that its desk and restaurant staff carry out their responsibilities appropriately, it could be a reasonable place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank KJA3
Reviewed 30 June 2011

My choice of the place was based on reports below though they were rather mixed. But everything worked fine in our case.

We've booked and got two-level room in the main building (for 4), and it was wonderful: sea view + castle view; full-size batheroom with the tub; soap and shower gel. No tea/coffee facilities, so we brought our own small electric kettle.
Girl at the reception was extremely nice and absolutely english-speaking; when she wasn't there - the other guy from restaurant was quite helpful (though almost non-english speaking at all - but nice and helpful).
We're happy with the experience and would recommend it with no doubts.

Replying previous report: we were sure that parking is free for guests staying on the Mont - and it was. We came at 8pm (phoned them in advance and told smbd english speaking that we are late), parked our car outside (before the bar with code pad on it) - then came in and checked in. We asked for the code for parking and the guy (who was rather host for the restaurant) just wrote it down for us. So we came down, park our car nearer (behind the bar), took our luggage and came back. Well, it's kinda mess but it's the best you can get there.
Next few days we came to and fro and the code worked ok.

Room Tip: 2-level room in the main building (for 4)
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2011

It's unique (and amazing!) to be able to stay on the Mont itself, so the few choices of hotel there are, don't have to be outstanding. I liked this hotel even though the room (in the annex) furnishings were dated and some parts of the room not as clean as they could be. We arrived later than planned, and it's great to be able to park as far in as possible on the causeway. The hotel will give you a code to raise the gate. Since we were so late, we didn't have to pay but it's usually 6 Euros per car. Also since we were late, we couldn't get a full meal in the restaurant (we had reserved), even though there were still people in the dining room eating their main meals. Originally the hostess didn't want to help us out at all - we were exhausted and had no other options for food close-by. We asked if we could have anything that wouldn't require cooking so the chefs could go home: cheese, bread, wine. She agreed and that's what we got. It would have been great if she had thought of this compromise (service-oriented) rather than us having to ask for it. But nothing against her or the team personally and we appreciated what we got!
The breakfast is served above a different restaurant with a nice terrace leading right onto the wall path.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Le Mouton Blanc was exactly what it advertises - small basically comfy rooms in an ancient, romantic setting. I think to be fair, given the difficulty of renovating anything on the Mont they do the best they can. And the bottom line is that you are on one of the great wonders of the world, and once the tour buses leave you have it to yourselves to wander the ramparts in awe. We had a nice dessert in the restaurant (wish we'd had dinner there as well), breakfast was only so so, but again the bottom line is that we were the first people to get to the Abbeye in the morning and that was awesome. My only real qualm about Mouton Blanc is that the staff seems to all go home at night so you are there on your own if anything went wrong. The staff did not seem to speak English, but I was able to manage with my basic French, and they were friendly and helpful - watched our bags for us in the morning. So would I recommend it - sure, it's good enough, and in the morning - you are on Mont St. Michel!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple